Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SHSH to uprgade?

Default SHSH to uprgade?
    Hi i have a 3gs on 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit. When the new jailbreak comes out do i need shsh to upgrade to 4.0 or just shift n restore? I dont really want to go up to 4.0.1 if its only relevant to iphone 4 incase it uses extra memory and slows my 3gs down.

I'm not totally clear on your question, but assuming you have no SHSH files then you should start getting them now. Get tinyumbrella and start with 4.0.1. You don't need to upgrade to get the SHSH saved.

Are you new or old bootrom? If you are old bootrom then you could use spirit2pwn (unofficial tool, but it works cos I used it yesterday) and then use pwnagetool or snowbreeze to cook up a custom firmware to go to whatever OS you want and remain jailbroken.

If you are waiting for the jailbreak for new bootrom before you go to 4.0 then it's best to have those SHSH on file just in case.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-27 at 04:19 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

In short, you do need SHSH to upgrade to any firmware. If it's the currently 'signed' FW apple will provide this (i.e. 4.0.1) anything lower will need to come from saurik, if you haven't manually saved them for 4.0 before hand you'll need to 4.0.1. However, comex has tweeted that 4.0.1 provides no noticable differences besides the bars so you should be fine on it if needbe.

Sorry about not being clear. Already have 3.1.3 and 4.0 shsh on tiny umbrella just wondered wether i would need to use them to upgrade aswell as downgrade. Its gonna be easier just to go to 4.0.1 though so i will do that when the jailbreak is released. Thanks

Yes there's an outside chance you would need them if apple released a new version of the firmware after the jailbreak was released before you did the upgrade but that seems a long shot! *Plus you have SHSH on file anyway.

I take it you have new bootrom?

Yeah new bootrom so no jailbreak for me yet anyway