Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is apple actually winning in the iPhone 4 jailbreak?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Is apple actually winning in the iPhone 4 jailbreak?
    In the past it seems everyone would preen and boast about how fast an exploit and jailbreak took place. Seconds after updates, moments after release. And yet it seems Apple is doing a damn good job so far keeping dev teams at bay. One thing or another. It looks as if after all the preening in the past, everyone overlooks the fact that it appears somewhat incompetent on the jb side that champaign bottles haven't been popped already. I'm waiting with baited breath for an ip4 jailbreak. But face value, all this time must have apple noticing that measures they have been taking are leading in the right direction the longer it takes the devs to release it and work all the bugs. I'm scared of what apple may learn from closing exploits and what they did to make it harder. Especially after the eff ruling. Just my thoughts. And please no flames about the fantastic job the devs are doing and how we should appreciate everything they do, because I DO! But I'm just wondering if maybe apple is laughing at how long it's taking since we once laughed at how fast it happened? Sorry if this seems to go in circles...typing on the iPhone and too much of a pain in the *** to try and magnify anywhere outside of the box's text sight.
    Ok, stepping off my soapbox.

Dude paragraphs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

In the past it was never an instant thing either. They are not winning they are just expanding the minds of the devs.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I guess you haven't been ready much lately on JB. The dev team is working on something they haven't done before. Instead of finding one exploit they have found three. They are trying to come up with a solution to be jailbroken no matter what firmware Apple comes out with. Like hiding a Easter egg so everything we update it won't affect a JB iPhone. Maybe I might have read it wrong but that was my understanding when the dev team first started working on the jailbreak. This time around the jailbreak will for all iPhone devices.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sorry there were no paragraphs. I hate typing on an iPhone in such a tiny box.

I just got a big visual of Jobs smiling at the small things like FaceTime holding it up, etc. I'm almost certain of this because you can only imagine how much he wasn't smiling before.

Thanks

I don't really think he gets mad at jailbreaking. More so the piracy. But jailbreaking keeps feeding them ideas of what people want in phones. Look at the appstore, multitasking, video recorder, backgrounds, and many other things the Jailbreaking community had first that Apple now makes into the OS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

I think your post is brilliant. Paragraphs really that is all "you" could come up with. Any how I agree with your thoughts. This entire process this time just seems really odd. I will be ecstatic when it comes out but am at this moment skeptical at best. I really don't have any more to say but felt like typing more so that it was a bit longer than a single paragraph should be. Paragraph, really!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to brianmarocco For This Useful Post:

trnsgres (2010-07-27)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    I guess you haven't been ready much lately on JB. The dev team is working on something they haven't done before. Instead of finding one exploit they have found three. They are trying to come up with a solution to be jailbroken no matter what firmware Apple comes out with. Like hiding a Easter egg so everything we update it won't affect a JB iPhone. Maybe I might have read it wrong but that was my understanding when the dev team first started working on the jailbreak. This time around the jailbreak will for all iPhone devices.
    I believe you are a little mistaken. To my knowledge they have three baseband exploits, not bootrom/userland exploits. This is very good news for users who need their phones unlocked as they will be able to have unlocked iPhones for quite a while (DevTeam typically only unlocks every other baseband update). Although, MuscleNerd did notice that the 4.1 beta upgraded the baseband but interestingly enough the baseband downgraded along with the firmware when restoring the phones back to 4.0/4.0.1. This could be HUGE for the unlock community once further investigation is done regarding this feature.

Now, regarding the jailbreaking. AFAIK there are currently two known exploits for jailbreaking. Comex has his userland exploit that he is developing into a public release, and p0sixninja has a bootrom exploit (the same exploit Geo had if I understand things correctly).

Regarding the OP, I don't think the duration it's taking this summer to release the jailbreak is in anyway a fair assessment of Apple's abilities at defending against jailbreaking. They found the exploit and jailbroke the first i4 almost immediately after it was on sale, but comex did little to no work at all on developing a releasable version of it for a few weeks. He even tweeted about how he should probably start working on it finally after 4.0.1 had been released. He was pretty busy working on Frash for the iPhone and stayed focused on it for a while, not to mention that up until recently (week to 2 weeks) he did not have an i4 of his own to work with. Throw in the fact that he went on vacation somewhere in there and I think it's safe to say that a public release could have been ready a week or two ago at the least IF it was the only thing the devteam focused on since the i4's release (by which I mean had they not worked, had social lives, etc. and just drilled it out 24/7 PlanetBeing style).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Not to mention that with comex's userland jailbreaks, he can't really reuse his program like dev team does with redsn0w and pwnagetool and just update the exploit. He is attacking different angles of the device with these userland exploits and this causes pretty much a rebuild from scratch of everything. I think people are looking at it like he is porting spirit or he is updating spirit. This new tool is brand new. All from scratch and will shock and amaze everyone when its finally dropped on the public.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

j3st3r (2010-07-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I really don't think Apple really cares too heavily on the "unlocking" issue (as they benefit by selling more phones and not breaching an agreement with AT&T) as they do the jailbreak. I would assume that's why an unlock was easier to exploit than the jailbreak.
    Now with the EEC ruling, there will be even more users who were initially intimidated by Apple declaring it was "illegal", lightening up and probably swayed toward pondering the notion. With that said, I can only imagine the future maneuvers Apple will probably go to to save face in what has been touted about, and gained so much attention as "cat and mouse" games.
    The unlock is of no real financial ruin to them. I only see it as a way to go cross carrier without any breach of contract. And under the cover of legislation. Not to mention, slip out of any potential anti-trust measures the government might come up with in the future.
    Furthermore it shows in the fact they already offer carrier unlocked phones (at ridiculous costs).
    On another note....Apple saying jb will void warranty.....like that's gonna scare everyone when we all know if anything happens to your iPhone you'd be lucky to get a reach around when trying to get anything fixed that really matters.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I do wonder though, now that jailbreaking is officially legal are apply technically allowed to void warranty because of it.

Thanks

Yes, they have always been allowed to void your warranty and will continue to still do it. It is still a terms of service agreement.

I don't think Apple is necessarily winning. The JB is finished for the 3G/3GS. They're just having difficulty incorporating it with some of the apps in iPhone 4. The FW in the new iP4 is delaying the entire process. If it weren't for that, they would have released it by now. Although I think they should at least release it for 3GS, but I have no right to say that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    I don't think Apple is necessarily winning. The JB is finished for the 3G/3GS. They're just having difficulty incorporating it with some of the apps in iPhone 4. The FW in the new iP4 is delaying the entire process. If it weren't for that, they would have released it by now. Although I think they should at least release it for 3GS, but I have no right to say that.
    My appologies. I thought I had mentioned somewhere I was talking about the ip4 being the ballbreaker (ie FaceTime). My bad for any confusion.

One thing I had heard is there are some problems with Facetime and the jailbreak for iPhone4. This has me concerned. I'm guessing there may be other incompatibilities with other native apps.

Right now I'm really struggling with the decision to jailbreak. Two things I would really like is iRealSMS and Remove Recents (what a neat tweak!). The current battery life on my phone far and away bests the performance I have had on any iPhone to date. Yesterday, I had 30 minutes of phone activity in 8 hours and my battery stood at 94%. It's what I would expect.

I've done some searching for opinions on whether jailbreaking has a negative impact on battery life. There are opinions all over the board and I can't draw any conclusions. I realize I could jailbreak and give it a try, however, once jailbroken it does seem to leave some stuff behind even after a restore (don't know if its fact). Would be interested in thoughts from the community.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes is will negatively effect battery performance, that's a given. The extent to which it effects the battery varies depending on what programs, patches, substrates, etc that you install. Regardless, I'm confident that even a jbd i4 with a dozen MS running will still crush a virgin 3GS battery.