Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help Jailbreaking iPhone 3g,Os 4.0

Default Help Jailbreaking iPhone 3g,Os 4.0
    Hey so im not really a noob when it comes to this stuff,but ever since i updated last week things have been going downhill for me.
    Ok so i updated to 4.0.1,and then found out i couldnt jb that,so i downgraded to 4.0,and have been trying to jailbreak it for 2 days,i am using sn0breeze with vista,i have tried everything,everytime i try to restore with custom fw i get some error,1600,3194,etc,and now my phone is stuck in dfu mode and wont restore,i tried my custom fw,os4.0,and also tried updating and restoring but none of it will work.I really need help here.

If you have any questions to ask then feel free,

also first post

Thanks

For a 3G use redsn0w 0.9.5b-5 install a fresh 4.0.1. Run redsn0w, but when it asks you for an ipsw point it at a 4.0 fw.

Ok i just tried to restore+update to 4.1,and it said
    "There was a problem downloading the software iphone"iphone".A duplicate file name was specified"
    so it wouldnt restore or update..

So is it 4.1 or 4.0.1 that your tried to restore to? Cause is 4.1 out?
    If it's 4.0.1 use the redsnow ^
    Download 4.0 and when asked by redsnow what fw choose the 4.0 you downloaded

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Just restore to whichever you can (if its 4.0 thats ok too) and use what ronr179 said. Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5. It should work. I had trouble with Sn0wbreeze with 4.x and 3.1.x so I just used Redsn0w.

Got it,thanks,i wanted the batter percentage,and backround stuff too,but oh well for now i guess

Just kidding it has that stuff,sorry.
    Last edited by Joe_; 2010-07-27 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

?? Lol ok. Well FYI wallpaper and multitask may cause lag on 3G phones. I had lag, freezes, call screen freeze, and all games crashing. I had all language packs deleted and phone optimized speed-wise as much as possible and still my phone failed a lot :P

I downgraded to 3.1.3 two days ago cuz I couldnt take it anymore. Just sayin haha. Id rather have jailbroken wallpaper via WinterBoard, multitask via backgrounder+proswitcher, and battery percentage via battery control. I guess what Im trying to say is, 3.1.x might be better for 3G phones. Just my opinion.

Sweet but just a heads up your 3G will be so slow now with the 4.0.1 or above. So I restored mine again and unchecked multitask and wallpaper it helped a little. And after that I unchecked all my spotlight search and even running better now

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronr179 View Post
    Sweet but just a heads up your 3G will be so slow now with the 4.0.1 or above. So I restored mine again and unchecked multitask and wallpaper it helped a little. And after that I unchecked all my spotlight search and even running better now
    You might as well go back down to 3.1.x haha. With those features disabled its like having 3.1.x except with a bunch of unusable Cydia apps. At least on 3.1.x you can use all Cydia apps :P

Well the only thing that i have is the wallapper not everything else, and I didnt know i couldnt use some of the cydia apps,i guessi can go back to 3.1.x i havent synced my phone yet,instructions on how-to?

And wow major problem,just unlocked after cydia updated,everything except for settings,youtube,weather,stocks,and the voice memo apps are gone,lol

Can anyone help me or direct me to downgrade to 3.1.x?And which .x should i go with for jailbreaking?
    Last edited by Joe_; 2010-07-27 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You can follow my steps, I just downgraded from 4.0 to 3.1.3 two nights ago.

1) Download both 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 ipsw (you will need 3.1.3 to restore to and 3.1.2 use only with Redsn0w). Find these here on MMi in the Downloads section. Use Firefox, Opera, or Google chrome to avoid downloading in .zip format.

2) Download Redsn0w 0.9.4 (no other version, must be this one).

3) Download Recboot or TinyUmbrella (either works).

4) Lets begin. Now I have my 3.1.3 SHSH files saved and am not sure if this makes a huge difference, but go ahead and try anyway if you dont have them. I think it should work anyway. I also used iTunes 9.2 so dont worry about downgrading iTunes.

5) Shift+restore to 3.1.3 ipsw you downloaded.

6) When finished, if you get error 1015, dont worry just click ok to exit out. Close iTunes now.

7) If you didnt get error 1015, skip this step. If you got another error, redo everything until you get error 1015 or no error. Use Recboot or TinyUmbrella to kick phone out of recovery mode.

8) When your phone reboots and you see the iTunes+USB screen, open Redsn0w 0.9.4. Select the 3.1.2 (not 3.1.3) ipsw you downloaded.

9) Select when prompted "Cydia" and continue.

10) Follow on-screen prompts. When finished, you should be able to access your springboard.

11) Open Cydia and let it reorganize. When it finishes, open it again.

12) Search for Ultrasn0w (should already be in Cydia to find) and install. Let it reboot. If the unlock doesnt kick in after 5 min. reboot again. It should work now.

Youtube/push fix (most likely you'll need this) use Push Doctor from Cydia. If Push Doctor alone does not immediately fix the problem, go to Setting>General>Network>CellularData Network and reset network (bottom of page). Hard reset phone (hold power+home until shut off) then power back on. Re-enter your APN if applicable, then try YouTube.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Just got error 2009 when restoring 3.1.3....

also whenever it put into dfu mode itunes says ipod has been detected but cannot be identified properly...
    Last edited by Joe_; 2010-07-27 at 09:12 AM.

put into DFU then restore to 3.1.3
    if you get an error after restore use redsn0w to get past that
    No Signature link or spam... only warning

I guess you didnt see,whenever i put into dfu mode,itunes says"ipod has been deteced but cannot be identified"and it wont let me do anything..i tried re-installing itunes and it did nothing..

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Put it in Recovery Mode instead and see.

Ok got everything back to normal,NOW should i downgrade to 3.1.3?or just use redsn0w?I heard if i stick with 4.0.x i will have to sacrifice speed,and apps on cydia?Can any tell me the list of apps i cant use?