Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help Jailbreaking/Unlocking 3GS on 3.1.2

Default Help Jailbreaking/Unlocking 3GS on 3.1.2
    I have a 3GS running 3.1.2 which is currently not jailbroken/unlocked. I want to unlock/jailbreak it to iOS 4. I am really confused about verious tools such as snowbreeze and pwange tool

I don't wanna mess up the process since I know my 3gs is one of the few that has 3.1.2 running and it is possible to jailbreak/unlock to iOS 4.

What are my options? What method should I use to jailbreak/unlock to iOS 4.

Thanks

if it is the old bootrom 3gs then you can jailbreak with redsn0w and then either create or download a custom 4.0 ipsw file and restore to that and be jailbroken (there are numerous guides on how to accoplish this just search for them), if it's a new bootrom 3gs then you will not be able to jailbreak 4.0 at this time, just use Spirit to jailbreak and wait for the new jailbreak to be released (don't ask when because no one knows for sure when it will be released)

Case 1: Old Bootrom
    So I have to first jailbreak the 3GS running 3.1.2 using this guide, Jailbreak iPhone, iPod Touch 3.1.2 with RedSn0w 0.9 | iPhoneHeat. Then I will have to create a custom iOS 4.0 custom firmware using either Snowbreeze or pwnagetool to update/jailbreak.

Case 2: New Bootrom
    I am guessing its the same process for the old bootrom but its gonna be a tethered jailbreak?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

To get to 4.0 on a new bootrom is tricky, I dont recommend it.

On old, JB with Blackra1n and upgrade to cooked 4.0 IPSW. Simple enough, their are numerous ways to achieve it on this setup. I just recommend this as it seems simplest to me.

For an iPhone 3GS Old bootrom running 3.1.3, is there any way to jailbreak it? One option is to use Spirit, but is there any other method to jailbreak 3gs 3.1.3 old bootrom? Also once I jailbreak 3gs 3.1.3 which method do I use to update to iOS 4 and jailbreak/unlock it/

Quote Originally Posted by Zythyr View Post
    For an iPhone 3GS Old bootrom running 3.1.3, is there any way to jailbreak it? One option is to use Spirit, but is there any other method to jailbreak 3gs 3.1.3 old bootrom? Also once I jailbreak 3gs 3.1.3 which method do I use to update to iOS 4 and jailbreak/unlock it/
    For old bootrom you have 2 options now. If you have SHSH for 3.1.2 you can downgrade and go from there, but your easiest way is to use spirit2pwn:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-3gs-ios-4-already-jailbroken-using-spirit-with-spirit2pwn/
    Once done you can use snowbreeze to create custom firmware, shift restore it with that firmware and you iPhone will be JB on 4.0 then unlock with ultrasnow.