Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I jailbreak iOS4 on an iPhone 3GS?

Default How do I jailbreak iOS4 on an iPhone 3GS?
    I got my iPhone 3GS at the end of April and managed to backup my 3.1.3 SHSH blob before jailbreaking 3.1.3 with Spirit. Since then, I performed an iTunes update to iOS4 so the phone is no longer jailbroken.

I'm curious to know, how I can jailbreak iOS4?

Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You have to be on 3.1.2 to JB to 4.0, and have the old bootrom. If I were you, I'd downgrade back to 3.1.3 and live with that for the time being.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

Phaaze (2010-07-26)

Meh, thanks for your help... Do you know if any groups are working on a way that would allow me to jailbreak iOS4?

Thanks

Yeah, the dev team is working on a new Spirit jailbreak. Follow StealthBravo, Comex, PlanetBeing, and MuscleNerd on Twitter for any news surrounding it Nobody knows an exact release, but it will be soon.... if I had to guess, I'd say within the next week.

Alright, thanks again. I have one last question though...

My SHSH blob is saved on my HD and not on Cydia's server. I've downloaded TinyUmbrella with the TSS Server and set it up then edited my hosts file to point to my loopback address (127.0.0.1). However, when attempting to restore my device to 3.1.3 it says that it cannot contact Apple's software update server.

When I send a ping to gs.apple.com it does in fact point to my loopback back address and issue a response though.

Any ideas as to what I may be missing?

Thanks

Hmm, I've never gotten shsh restore to work on Windows (obviously it's possible, but it didn't like my setup), only on a Mac. Does TinyUmbrella have a way to send locally stored shsh files to Cydia's server? If not, I personally wouldn't know anything else except to recommend this guide:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ecid-shsh.html
    Last edited by neodude237; 2010-07-26 at 02:08 AM.