Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g unlocked/jailbroken CYDIA help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Question iPhone 3g unlocked/jailbroken CYDIA help!
    I just bought an unlocked and jailbroken 3g 8gb 3.1.3 iPhone. When I received it Cydia had 6 updates that needed to be updated. Ive had an unlocked iPhone before and have updated Cydia plenty of times so thought nothing of it. Updated it, my phone re-started, turned back on and Cydia now always forces close. I cant get on it at all. Currently using T-Mobile. I call the guy who sold it to me he said he researched and it could be a bad update?? and that is what is making it force close?? He said he was going to restore then re-jailbreak then backed out.

so my questions are A: BEST way to fix this so cydia is back to normal + being unlocked for T-Mobile. B: If i restore wont that lose my unlock? and if so how to get it back? Dont know what he used for unlock/jailbreak..

Any help would be amazing help!

PLUS one more questions while ive got someone! Everytime i get a picture message, it doesnt work it says picture is too large? never had a problem with any other phone?? is there a way to fix this?

THANKS!
    Aly

Try re jailbreaking. Does you phone have its 3.1.3 SHSH blobs on file?

Yes I would rejailbreak, but I do not think you need shsh blobs for the 3G only 3GS but I could be wrong

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Talking ..shsh blobs? is that a rock band?
    Quote Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
    Try re jailbreaking. Does you phone have its 3.1.3 SHSH blobs on file?

Sorry for this but what the heck are you talking about? What is the SHSH blobs?? No idea what the means

Second, when I re-jailbreak, is it going to mess up my unlock? do i have to re-store then re-jailbreak? Plus i have PC. So i just download something like ra1n? i think thats what its called and then follow instructions on how to jailbreak? Will it mess up my phone more since its ALREADY jailbroken? or will it just re-set to new jailbreak settings and forget the other ones that are currently on the phone? Sorry again. Bought it unlocked/jailbroken didnt do it myself. Really good with computers but for some reason all this jailbreaking and unlocking messes with my head since there are so many things that have to happen first like the baseband has to be right firmware etc etc..

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Restore the phone to new, apply the 4.0.1 update and use theses two guides to help you rejailbreak and unlock it again. Just make sure when you do the redsnow jb that you click the hacktivate option. An don't use the multitasking or or wallpaper option, as they drag the 3g down to much.

How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows

How to Unlock iPhone 3GS/3G on 4.0 Firmware
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

xxpink (2010-07-25)

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Restore the phone to new, apply the 4.0.1 update and use theses two guides to help you rejailbreak and unlock it again. Just make sure when you do the redsnow jb that you click the hacktivate option. An don't use the multitasking or or wallpaper option, as they drag the 3g down to much.

Just do this. Its easier.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to akward silence For This Useful Post:

xxpink (2010-07-25)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Talking ok to go to new software AND unlock....?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post

I've been doing a little research of my own trying to figure this out. Just want to make sure im gonna do this right:

Plug iPhone in, iTunes comes up (already have most recent version of iTunes installed) it says "A New update it avalible for this iPhone, would you like to update?" I say yes update. that updates iOs to 4.0? and updates the baseband to the most recent one plus firmware. then I follow the directions in both of those posts to unlock AND jailbreak the phone (and i can even though its brand new software???) then thats it. does that sound right?

Yes.

If you have trouble, feel free to PM me. I went through this on my Dad's 3G

11. The Following User Says Thank You to akward silence For This Useful Post:

xxpink (2010-07-25)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
    Yes.

If you have trouble, feel free to PM me. I went through this on my Dad's 3G
    ok. thanks again. When i had my old 3g that I sold about 3 months ago, I tried to unlocked / jailbreak since i accidently upgraded to new software at the time (dont even remember what is was) and then i was told that there was no unlock or jailbreak yet for the phone. and then i was stuck without a phone. so i want to make SURE that if im upgrading (something ive been told DO NOT EVER EVER EVER do) that its going to work since this my only phone. I jailbreak first then unlock? or vise versa? and ps. how do i know what my bootrom is for the future? and how do i know if its "old"?

I just look at my "About" in settings. I thought it was 3.1.3 but its 3.1.2 does this change any of this?! 05.11.07 firmware. Im guessing none of this really matters since im going to upgrade to whatever is newest anyways..right? lol
    Last edited by xxpink; 2010-07-25 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

You are on a 3g so you are safe regardless of bootrom. You jb first with the hactivate option then follow th guide for the unlock.

Goodluck!
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

xxpink (2010-07-25)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks again for all your help everyones. Have had many iPhones but just already jailbroken (i bricked my first iPhone :P so. lol)

************************THANKSSSSSSSS************* ******