Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help updating iPhone 3G from 3.0 to 3.1.2 (or 3.1.3 if possible)

Default Need help updating iPhone 3G from 3.0 to 3.1.2 (or 3.1.3 if possible)
    I want to update my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G from 3.0 in order for several of my apps to work but I am not knowledgeable in the jailbreak scene for the iPhone (just iPod Touch) and I don't know what to do in this scenario. So can anyone help me? I think I heard Apple doesn't sign firmware anymore or something like that... so is it possible to update the iPhone to 3.1.2 (or 3.1.3 if possible), jailbreak it, and unlock it? It's important that I maintain the jailbreak.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Download 3.1.2 ipsw and shift+restore to it in iTunes. Apple has done soft signing on the 3G and require SHSH blobs to be saved. I'm not sure if this applies to all phones since I restored from 4.0 to 3.1.3 today without a problem but my 3.1.3 SHSH files are backed up so... Check Cydia to see if they are backed up. If they are backed up for 3.1.3 and not 3.1.2 (in my case) then download both 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 ipsw but shift+restore to the 3.1.3. You'll need the 3.1.2 ipsw later.

You will likely run into error 1015 after the restore, ignore it. Have TinyUmbrella or recboot downloaded to kick your phone out of recovery/DFU mode. After your phone reboots, it will come to the usb+itunes page.

Run Redsn0w 0.9.4 on it and use the 3.1.2 ipsw when prompted. Follow the directions on screen. When finished, set your phone up as new and then you're done