Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My cydia is not working!!! Please help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default My cydia is not working!!! Please help
    I just got my iPhone 3gs whichhas been jailbroken and unlocked by the seller. The verson of OS on it iS 3.1.3 Bb 05.12.01. I installed installuuus on it and since then the cydia has stopped working. Anytime I try launching cydia, it shows a blank page and then returns to the hone screen. I have tried switching off and rebooting but no change. I am ignorant of jailbreaking and unlocking. What can I do cos presenting my phone is just ffor recieving and making calls, that's annoying!! I have the ff questions:
    1. Do I have to restore?
    2. How do I restore?
    3. Presently I have 3.1.3 bb 05.12.01, if I restore will still remain like that or it will go to an older version?
    4. Do i need to save my SHSH b4 restore?
    5. How do I do that?
    6. How can I jailbreak and unlock after all?

Sorry for my numerous question, I am new to this technology and I don't want to make any mistake and in the process lose my phone, I have got it with a large amount.
    Your prompt and step by step response to me questions will be greatly appreaciated. I can't wait for it. Thanks in advance.

sucker. you reap what you sew. How does it feel to steal apps and now have no cydia?
    Last edited by moon#pie; 2010-07-23 at 05:47 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Lol bad installation caused your Cydia problem. Sorry OP, read the rules before you sign up just to post about your piracy :P

Thanks

You'd think the fact that you had to misspell it to get it to show up would've tipped you off. You'll have to restore and rejailbreak to get cydia working again. I would suggest not installing cracked/pirated apps in the future to avoid more problems like this.

Here's a guide for the restore process:
    Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | Windows

Consider this a valuable lesson as to why you should not try to steal apps.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-07-23 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry, I am very ignorant, I didn't know!, come to think of it, if I had known you think I would come out openly to day it, was just told by a friend that you need it to help install apps on your phone. Since I discovered, I have made attempt to uninstall it but to mo avail. Help me. It was ignorance.I am sorry.
    Thank u everyone, I have learnt my lesson.

Thanks

Check out the link in my previous post.

As I said, you'll have to restore and rejailbreak in order to get cydia working again.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-07-23 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

quaz444 (2010-07-23)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Check out the link in my previous post.

As I said, you'll have to restore and rejailbreak in order to get cydia working again.
    thanks so much, but check out this:

"The first requirement is that Cydia has your SHSH details stored for 3.1.2. If you have opened Cydia and seen green text at the top "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.2" then you can restore to 3.1.2."

but my iphone specs is 3gs 3.1.3 with firmware 05.12.01 and cydia is not working so i dont know if my SHSH for 3.1.2 is saved. can you still assure me that there is not going to be any problem if i try to go ahead. sorry for my many questions i am a newbie and i want to be 100% sure b4 i go ahead. anything you say now is final! thanks so much.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quaz444 View Post
    thanks so much, but check out this:

"The first requirement is that Cydia has your SHSH details stored for 3.1.2. If you have opened Cydia and seen green text at the top "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.2" then you can restore to 3.1.2."

but my iphone specs is 3gs 3.1.3 with firmware 05.12.01 and cydia is not working so i dont know if my SHSH for 3.1.2 is saved. can you still assure me that there is not going to be any problem if i try to go ahead. sorry for my many questions i am a newbie and i want to be 100% sure b4 i go ahead. anything you say now is final! thanks so much.
    No body can assure you. Next time don't download cracked apps....
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks

Use tiny umbrella to find out if you have shsh's for 3.1.3. If so just follow that guide except you'll be doing it for 3.1.3 not 3.1.2. It's all the same steps just a different fw.

Once you get it restored you can rejailbreak with spirit.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-07-23 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

quaz444 (2010-07-24)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Use tiny umbrella to find out if you have shsh's for 3.1.3. If so just follow that guide except you'll be doing it for 3.1.3 not 3.1.2. It's all the same steps just a different fw.

Once you get it restored you can rejailbreak with spirit.
    just used tiny umbrella and was informed cydia does not have my shsh for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, is there any other thing i can do?

i appreciate your understanding of my ignorance, thanks for your concern.

or can i just go ahead and jailbreak? cos i met anoda friend who used a program on his system to access my phone and discovered that it was jailed.

will doing this or restoring it lock my phone?

thanks
    Last edited by quaz444; 2010-07-24 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Do you know what program was used to JBreak your phone?

Look for a icon called "blackra1n" on your phone.

If it's there, open it.

There should be an option to "Select a package" and Cydia should be the first one listed.

Run the installer for Cydia, follow all of the on-screen prompts and Cydia should then work for you.

If you don't have "blackra1n" on your phone, then you need to find out what app was used to JBreak your phone as you will need to likely access it again in order to re-install Cydia.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to phpeters87 For This Useful Post:

quaz444 (2010-07-24)

Thanks

If umbrella didn't find shsh's for your phone then you want to stay away from restoring, because it will upgrade you to 4.0.1 and leave you with an unjailbroken locked phone. Your best option at this point is to live without cydia for a little bit and wait for a new jailbreak to be released for 4.x. It shouldn't be too long now. At least as it stands at the moment you have a working unlocked phone. Any attempt to restore has the possibility of locking your phone.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

quaz444 (2010-07-24)

Since he is on 3.1.3 can't he use tiny umbrella to save the shsh blobs and then restore to 3.1.3 again? Or is saurik no longer allowing the older versions to be stored?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

No, it's too late to grab the files. If they're not already there, you can't get any SHSH files below 4.0 now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

quaz444 (2010-07-24)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I will wait.
    You guys are great! I will wait till a jailbreak comes out for 4.0.1. Someone else has given me the same advice, just wanted to double check.
    @jtmonkey, thanks in particular, for ur nice approach and soft words despite my mistake, can you please keep me in mind and mail me once the solution to my problem is out.
    Email address: [email protected]
    thanks.
    Last edited by quaz444; 2010-07-24 at 08:16 AM.