Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Do You Have to Save SHSH Files, I Know How Just Wondering Why

Default Why Do You Have to Save SHSH Files, I Know How Just Wondering Why
    its seems to me that the only reason you would save them is in case you didn't like your jailbreak or did it wrong and need to restore. But you wouldn't need your firmware cause they have firmwares you can download and restore to.

For example:
    -I have and iPhone 3gs on 4.0 firmware
    -I jailbreak without saving SHSH files, and it messes up cause I did something wrong
    -I download iOS 4.0 from a website, and I Shift+Click restore and choose it.

See no SHSH needed, unless apple notices the fake firmware. thats what I'm asking

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EqualNone View Post
    its seems to me that the only reason you would save them is in case you didn't like your jailbreak or did it wrong and need to restore. But you wouldn't need your firmware cause they have firmwares you can download and restore to.

For example:
    -I have and iPhone 3gs on 4.0 firmware
    -I jailbreak without saving SHSH files, and it messes up cause I did something wrong
    -I download iOS 4.0 from a website, and I Shift+Click restore and choose it.

See no SHSH needed, unless apple notices the fake firmware. thats what I'm asking
    apple stops signing old firmware after new firmware is released.if you were not previously jailbroken with shsh on file with cydia, then you will not be able to jb, as the 3gs new boot rom doesnt allow for custuom firmware i belive. tinyumbrella!! back up shsh while you can and when the new jb/unlock comes out you should be all good. dont know if that helps ya but it helped me.

Apple stops signing their previous firmware after a new release, so even if you wanted to use a legit Apple version you wouldn't be able to, as only the newest one is signed. Saving your SHSH allows you to restore to any version firmware that you have a blob for (3.0, 3.1.2, etc.).
    Last edited by ocojaa; 2010-07-23 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    blobs are useful for restoring firmware

Haha, beat me to it!

I have iPad and I backed up my 3.2 SHSH. If I somehow got my iPad to where it was completely toasted, I could start over at 3.2.

If I didn't back up that SHSH, I could still start over, but only at 3.2.1 (meaning no jailbreak for a bit).

This is correct, right.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmalinowski View Post
    I have iPad and I backed up my 3.2 SHSH. If I somehow got my iPad to where it was completely toasted, I could start over at 3.2.

If I didn't back up that SHSH, I could still start over, but only at 3.2.1 (meaning no jailbreak for a bit).

This is correct, right.

Thanks,
    Chris
    sould be able to. as long as they r backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ocojaa View Post
    Apple stops signing their previous firmware after a new release, so even if you wanted to use a legit Apple version you wouldn't be able to, as only the newest one is signed. Saving your SHSH allows you to restore to any version firmware that you have a blob for (3.0, 3.1.2, etc.).
    Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

this should help you with all question that arise about shsh blobs and the reason for backing up such files.

Last edited by wreclusrob; 2010-07-23 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by wreclusrob View Post
    sould be able to. as long as they r backed up.
    Right, but there are firmware files all over the place. I don't need to have a firmware signed for my device unless I want to restore to something other than what is current, correct?

In my example above, I didn't do a 3.2.1 SHSH backup myself. I would just get a firmware from any of the myriad of places on the web that have them already and do a restore.

These are questions on my part as I am still a rookie at all this.

Thanks,
    Chris

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmalinowski View Post
    Right, but there are firmware files all over the place. I don't need to have a firmware signed for my device unless I want to restore to something other than what is current, correct?
    Correct. If you are happy with the latest and greatest (aka: the current released Apple firmware), no saved SHSH blobs are required. Apple allows installing the LATEST and CURRENT version ONLY!!!!! Apple has this version on their website, so there is no reason to look elsewhere.

If you want to install anything else .... Apple disagrees. Period.

To get-around this, you need an SHSH blob (an encrypted signature for each firmware version / individual iDevice combination).

Why install an earlier version? to jailbreak and/or unlock
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-07-23 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks

Even if you download a lower fw from somewhere other than apple iTunes still checks with apple to see if it's ok to install that fw, so if it's not the fw currently being signed it won't install no matter where you got it from. Saving shsh's means you can direct iTunes to somewhere other than Apples servers to get permission. Then the shsh's that you saved will be sent to iTunes from the other location (either cydia's server or your own computer), and you will be able to install the fw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ...Why install an earlier version? to jailbreak and/or unlock
    Absolutely. I'd be a little irked now if I had to restore to a 3.2.1 and couldn't jailbreak my iPad

Now, next I need to figure out the relationship between the bootrom, firmware, and etc, plus sn0w versus ra1n versus spirit.

I need to make a chart to understand how all of the tools and apple items fit together. Maybe the Saurik page will explain some of it.
    Last edited by Cmalinowski; 2010-07-23 at 05:20 PM.

Wow i get it. I cant get to 3.1.2 because a firmware error will show up cause i dont shsh. Well then whats the point of iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Quote Originally Posted by EqualNone View Post
    Wow i get it. I cant get to 3.1.2 because a firmware error will show up cause i dont shsh. Well then whats the point of iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    You still need a clean, uncooked version of apple's firmware to restore to previous versions. Those are unattainable from Apple directly.