Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g jb question

Default iPhone 3g jb question
    I am completely new to jailbreaking and have spent the last few days trying to search for an answer. I purchased a used 3g running 3.1 that has never been jb and that I am wanting to jailbreak and unlock so that I can use it on my trip to Europe next week. Most of the posts that I have read here relate to jailbreaking 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, is it still possible to currently jailbreak 3.1 with redsn0w or another tool and then unlock?

Some of the threads I have read on this board have suggested that you can upgrade to 4.0 and still jailbreak on the 3g, but I have heard that 4.0 on a 3g is really slow. Again, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I find in researching this some of the posts are several months old and may be outdated.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

There are numerous ways you can JB that, do you want to stay on 3.1 and JB or JB on another FW?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

Pattyboy (2010-07-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    There are numerous ways you can JB that, do you want to stay on 3.1 and JB or JB on another FW?
    Staying on 3.1 on the 3g is not really a big deal for me, I'm just looking for the best way to jb and unlock.

I have a 3gs on 4.0 that and like the software, but it seems like many people that post say the ios4 on a 3g can be slow.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassface's Avatar
    Thanks

Just grab the Spirit Jailbreak, run it, and add the Ultrasn0w repository in Cydia to download ultrasn0w and unlock your phone. Click thanks if this helped at all. Have a nice day!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassface For This Useful Post:

Pattyboy (2010-07-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Bassface View Post
    Just grab the Spirit Jailbreak, run it, and add the Ultrasn0w repository in Cydia to download ultrasn0w and unlock your phone. Click thanks if this helped at all. Have a nice day!
    Thats what I needed to hear, thanks for the reply!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassface's Avatar
    Thanks

No problem. Before you get ultrasn0w, or anything for that matter, I would recommend that you get sbsettings. It protects you from crashes that would normally make you have to restore. It really is a life saver.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Some apps require 3.1.x to run. The most optimal fw to be on a 3G is 3.1.2 (3.1.3 doesnt do much more if anything at all).

1) download 3.1.2 ipsw from the Downloads section here on MMi.
    2) download redsn0w (any version above 0.9.3 would work)
    3) shift+restore to the 3.1.2 ipsw you downloaded
    4) after the restore completes, use redsn0w (select the 3.1.2 ipsw you just used earlier) and follow the directions.
    5) after redsn0w finishes and your phone is showing your springboard, open Cydia.
    6) let it reload. Open it again.
    7) search for ultrasn0w (thats a zero not an O) and install (you will need wifi) to unlock.
    8) set your phone up as new, restoring from back up can cause problems.

Edit: ultrasn0w may take a couple reboots (not respring) to kick in. Try rebooting after the initial reboot if waiting 5 minutes doesnt get the unlock going.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-07-23 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost