Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just bought a 3Gs with 4.0

Default Just bought a 3Gs with 4.0
    I now have a 3Gs with the old bootrom, but it has the 4.0 update. The phone is locked and not jailbroken. Can I downgrade to 3.1.3 and then upgrade again to unlock and jailbreak?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Possibly, download tiny umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella)
    and check if 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 have shsh files available from cydia for your device.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by popz123 View Post
    I now have a 3Gs with the old bootrom, but it has the 4.0 update. The phone is locked and not jailbroken. Can I downgrade to 3.1.3 and then upgrade again to unlock and jailbreak?
    If the SHSH blobs are saved then you can downgrade. Then yes you can downgrade and jailbreak (not with Spirit yet) then upgrade and rejailbreak with Spirit.

Would the phone have SHSH blobs if it was never jailbroken before? I know for a fact that this has never been jailbroken or unlocked.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If the previous owner has saved them with TinyUmbrella then it is possible without a jailbreak. Though it sounds unlikely. Usually people who back up SHSH files are knowledgable about jailbreaks and unlocks which is why they back them up in the first place. If someone didn't bother to jailbreak the phone, I doubt they'd know about backing up SHSH blobs.

are there shsh blobs that I can download from other users phones? How do they work anyway...sorry I'm a noob
    Last edited by popz123; 2010-07-22 at 11:03 PM.

I know for a fact that the phone has never been jailbroken or unlocked. Since that is the case would it not have SHSH blobs?
    then you need to wait till a jb is released for 4.0

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

are there shsh blobs that I can download from other users phones? How do they work anyway...sorry I'm a noob
    No. SHSH blobs are unique to each device.