Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did I Do Something Wrong?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Did I Do Something Wrong?
    One day I just opened Cydia to download a theme, and all of a sudden in the HomeScreen, Cydia tells me about Apple and version support, etc. On the bottom it said either "I hate jailbreaking, forget it!" or "Make my life easier!" I thought this was supposed to run the FIRST time you run Cydia? But it popped up yesterday randomly. So I just chose the "Make my life easier" button, it had a pending TSS request and now says it has SHSH file stored on this device... Problem is... I have an iPhone 3G. I thought SHSH was only for the iPhone 3GS... Is this bad? Helpful for the future? What did I do? I thought SHSH was not necessary for iPhone 3G. Help?

I'm Running iOS4 so it says it has SHSH files for 4.0 stored on this device
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-21 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Your fine, it's a "just in case thing" that Apple stops signing firmware for the 3G phone also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Your fine, it's a "just in case thing" that Apple stops signing firmware for the 3G phone also.
    Oh kk. You mean like how the iPhone 2G (Original) didn't get iOS4? Sort of like that? How does it work then if apple stops signing firmware for the 3G?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

It would allow you to downgrade your firmware if desired, (i.e. 4.0 to 3.1.2) only if this happens, now it's a "just in case".

Thanks

So if iOS5 releases and it's the most horrible firmware with absolutely no exploits, and iOS4 is now unsigned for the 3G, then I can use the iOS4 SHSH blobs from cydia to downgrade to iOS4? That's cool. Thanks!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple added a soft shsh check for 4.0 on the 3G, and it's likely they'll stop signing the firmware as they release new versions. You can always downgrade to 3.X if you upgrade to a firmware you don't like, but it would be more difficult to downgrade to 4.x if you didn't have those blobs. The Dev Team has a more informative post about it on their blog.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Apple added a soft shsh check for 4.0 on the 3G, and it's likely they'll stop signing the firmware as they release new versions. You can always downgrade to 3.X if you upgrade to a firmware you don't like, but it would be more difficult to downgrade to 4.x if you didn't have those blobs. The Dev Team has a more informative post about it on their blog.
    Exactly, the soft SHSH will stop you downgrading to versions of 4.0 apple no longer signs, unless u have your SHSH saved. You will ALWAYS be able to downgrade to 3.x.x tho as that software does not have such capability.