Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wtf? how do i cleanly install ios4 in an attempt to get rid of this lag on my 3g?

Default wtf? how do i cleanly install ios4 in an attempt to get rid of this lag on my 3g?
    i tried the shift click restore and chose the 4.0 ipsw i downloaded from the modmyi jailbreak guide. got error 3194.

apple says it could be because i dont have the latest version of itunes.

ok so i update to 9.1

put the iphone in dfu mode and i got the same error.

i'm trying to set the phone up as "new" because ios4 has taken me to lag city since i installed it.

i hoped a fresh install "set iphone up as new" would do it.

so how do i accomplish this task?

btw when i set up ios4 i did it as a restore and not an update hoping to kill the short bus issues i've read about

i wonder if it's because i'm trying to load ios 4.0 and not 4.01

i am not currently jailbroken but plan to be once i have verified a virgin ios install is not super laggy.

please help

in return i give you: champagne wishes and caviar dreams

Thanks

apple is now requiring soft firmware signing (like the 3GS and iPhone 4 which are hardware based signing) on the 3G, so you will probably have to install 4.0.1

j3st3r3 . you were right. i was able to do a fresh install of 4.0.1 doing the shift click restore ting then selecting the latest ipsw i downloaded from apple

will report back on lag issues

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It will probably still lag, I did this same test on my GF's 3G, lag-city

I suggest you go back to 3.1.2 which doesn't need soft SHSH because the software doesn't have that implementation yet, it's much smoother for the gf.

granted my fresh install is less than 30 minutes old i am glad to report that it is way faster.

it used to take me about a full minute to open the map app, find my current location and search for "hardware store".

granted there are no photos on the device (used to have 2k until i backed them up yesterday), just 6 apps and about 300mb of podcasts (no music yet).

if anyone else is considering doing this i recommend it.

i'm sure i have about a week before i start to notice lag

can't wait for that white iphone 4. i'm so on it when it launches.

I just installed an app named IOS4 Features (iphone 3G) and it's pretty cool. It allows you to selectively use multitasking whenever you wish or other IOS4 features.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fucdemas View Post
    granted my fresh install is less than 30 minutes old i am glad to report that it is way faster.

it used to take me about a full minute to open the map app, find my current location and search for "hardware store".

granted there are no photos on the device (used to have 2k until i backed them up yesterday), just 6 apps and about 300mb of podcasts (no music yet).

if anyone else is considering doing this i recommend it.

i'm sure i have about a week before i start to notice lag

can't wait for that white iphone 4. i'm so on it when it launches.
    Keep us informed because the GF does like iOS4's feature's, she just hates the lagfest.

an update:

it's been about 2 weeks and my iphone is awful.

i've only installed about 10 apps in total and no music. just my daily podcasts.

i've done the double resets and rebooted and it does nothing. it's too slow to enjoy. it lags for everything. even entering in my security code takes multiple tries because of the lag.

verdict?

EPIC FAIL

i'm downgrading to 3.1.3 tonight

will report back to see if 3.1.3 downgrade works. who knows, maybe it's just my phone?

Not just your phone, most people say that iOS 4 is terrible on iPhone 3G. I know how this feels, on my ipod touch 1G on 3.1.3 I've had to deal with slowness for a long time.