Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g jailbroken to 3.0 tryn to go to 4.0 please help

Default 3g jailbroken to 3.0 tryn to go to 4.0 please help
    ok i have a buddies 3g with 3.0 on it and tryn to get it to 4.0 and i keep getting errors in itunes. i have tried to restore with 4.0 in itunes and also with snowbreeze and redsnow... im getting pissed at this point! i have been doing jailbreaks since the 2g and have never had so many issues. any help would be great
    i also im have a 3gs with 4.0 on it that i need to jailbreak hoping it can be done too. thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Your 3GS can't be done unless you have SHSH to downgrade.

The 3G, update in iTunes (make sure it's not synced to another library), then use redsn0w to JB. Simples.

You can't update the 3G to iOS 4.0 in iTunes without spoofing the IP address of the site gs.apple.com. iTunes now insists on updating you to iOS 4.0.1. If you really want 4.0, you'll need to download it from somewhere other than iTunes, and edit your hosts file to point gs.apple.com to 74.208.105.171 to avoid the error from iTunes during the restore.
    Last edited by Rocket J Squirrel; 2010-07-20 at 07:00 PM.

ok thanks for the info but at the risk of sounding like a noob how do i change the host file i have been tryn to figure that out on my pc here at work and im not having any luck. im more of a mac guy myself but currently no net at home... i kinda figured that on the 3gs its been backed up only on 3.1.3 so if i downgrade to 3.1.3 i should be able to go to 4.0 correct?
    and on the 3g i have all the firmwares and the 3g dont have the blobs saved i tried cause i knew he didnt and its a no go.. but any info on how to do the host file change would be killer.. i did some looking on here and google and i tried them all but just couldnt figure it out. so im just not getting something here or maybe my adhd is in full force and im just getting sidetracked lol

ok i found the host file and added the 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    now im tryn to figure out the rest
    thanks for ur help

ok so i changed the host but im still getting errors in itunes
    Last edited by Ruthle$$Turtle; 2010-07-20 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Apple has started fw signing for the 3g's just like they do with the 3gs's. Unless you have shsh files for 4.0 for the 3G you won't be able to install that. The first ting you want to do before anything else is open cydia and click the make life easier button. That will get cydia to start backing up your shsh's for you. Now as far as upgrading right now just click the update button in iTunes to upgrade to 4.0.1 then use redsn0w 0.9.5b-5 to jailbreak.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthle$ View Post
    ok thanks for the info but at the risk of sounding like a noob how do i change the host file i have been tryn to figure that out on my pc here at work and im not having any luck. im more of a mac guy myself but currently no net at home... i kinda figured that on the 3gs its been backed up only on 3.1.3 so if i downgrade to 3.1.3 i should be able to go to 4.0 correct?
    and on the 3g i have all the firmwares and the 3g dont have the blobs saved i tried cause i knew he didnt and its a no go.. but any info on how to do the host file change would be killer.. i did some looking on here and google and i tried them all but just couldnt figure it out. so im just not getting something here or maybe my adhd is in full force and im just getting sidetracked lol

ok i found the host file and added the 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    now im tryn to figure out the rest
    thanks for ur help

ok so i changed the host but im still getting errors in itunes
    Which one are you trying to do now, 3G or 3GS, 3G does not have shsh blogs, only 3GS. If you are trying to jailbreak 3G at 4.0, restore to official 4.0 and then jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.5b5.

Thanks

3G phones DO require shsh's starting with 4.0.
    Dev-Team Blog - Blob banter

ok the 3g i have 4.0 ssh the 3gs i have 3.1.3 and 4.0 ssh
    i have tried to update the 3g to 4.0 itunes will not let me keep getting errors i have changed hosts too unless i failed to do it correctly lol.
    so if i upgrade it to 4.1 can it be jailbroken?
    thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeh 4.0.1 can be JB on 3G, just upgrade via iTunes, run redsn0w and point it to ORIGINAL 4.0 FIRMWARE (not 4.0.1 as it does not recognise it), JB will still work.

sweetness! im on it thnaks

ok so im pretty sure this 3g hates me lol it will not restore, upgrade... i keep getting errors in itunes its really pissn me off! errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    error 2003 etc i have about had it with this b!t*h
    Last edited by Ruthle$$Turtle; 2010-07-21 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost