Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Uh-oh - sold 3.1.2 3GS as unlocked - but how do I delete my info?

Default Uh-oh - sold 3.1.2 3GS as unlocked - but how do I delete my info?
    Note: I haven't restored yet - the phone is still running 3.1.2 just fine....

I sold my my 3GS as jailbroken/unlocked - but didn't realize that deleting my info would remove the unlock. I do have blackra1n (and blacksn0w)installed and am running jail broken - but I'd like to get my data off. I've read the FAQs about needing the SHSH key to restore 3.1.2, but I'm not sure I saved it ot Cydia. When I open Cydia it says SHSHs saved for 3.1.3 and 4.0. I don't get the 3.1.3 as I've never run it. My phone stats are:

- 3GS
    - 32GB
    - iOS version 3.1.2 (7D11)
    - modem firmware 05.11.07

Is there any way to restore this thing as v3.1.2 to delete my data? If not, is there some other way to Unlock? If, not can I simply sync my device and uncheck everything, delete my apps and pics and send it along? Will the new user be able to use it? I'm not really worried about data security as I had no real sensitive data stored on it that was unencrypted. There might be something I'm unaware - but nothing I can think of. I've jumped to VZW due to dropped calls and am getting ready to terminate my account. I'll be shipping without SIM. So is shipping without a restore an option so purchaser gets what they paid for?

Thanks for any input,

-Calvin
    Last edited by cmoney12; 2010-07-20 at 12:27 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Odd that you are on 3.1.2 and don't have an shsh blob saved for it. You can use tiny umbrella to get it though and then restore you phone and use the shsh blob you saved with tinyumbrella to get back to 3.1.2 re-jailbreak/unlock.

Tiny umbrella
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...hsh-files.html

Restoring to 3.1.2
    Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | Windows

Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | OS X

If you want to decide you want to update to 4.0 and jailbreak/unlock
    How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with Sn0wbreeze | Windows

How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with PwnageTool | OS X
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Thanks

if you have an old bootrom 3GS (untethered jailbreak with blackra1n) you can restore to a custom 3.1.2 created with pwnagetool and you will be good to go, since you are selling as unlocked you need to get a custom firmware that is activated and you take your sim out and restore then ship it out
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-20 at 12:32 AM.

Hmmm, I jailbroke using the tethered method :/ I didn't realize that backing up the SHSH was a big deal, my mistake So, is there anyway to determine for sure if I've got a old bootrom?

Thanks,

-Calvin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    both of those methods require having an old bootrom 3GS, if you don't then you can restore to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with spirit and unlock with ultrasn0w

since you have a tethered jailbreak you have the new bootrom, restore to 3.1.3 following the links ianbroste provided (using shsh's
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-20 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

He said he was on 3.1.2 still so I assumed old bootrom also.

Thanks

not necessarily, there were bumches of new bootroms on 3.1.2

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Since you have 3.1.3 saved, you should be able to restore just fine if you edit your hosts file (search around for a tutorial on that) Then, JB with Spirit, and re-unlock with ultrasn0w.

OK, here's the issue - I don't recall saving any SHSH - but could have. I remember thinking I needed to click on the link many times... Anyhow, here's the confusing part - how can they have a 3.1.3 SHSH when I've never run version 3.1.3 on the phone? (It's always been 3.1.2)

Could I get some advice on where to get the 3.1.3 image?

Thanks,

-Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Since you have 3.1.3 saved, you should be able to restore just fine if you edit your hosts file (search around for a tutorial on that) Then, JB with Spirit, and re-unlock with ultrasn0w.
    I've found the info on the hosts file process. I guess my next question is - can a 3.1.3 SHSH be used to restore a 3.1.2 phone, or do I have to get the 3.1.3 image?

Thanks,

-calvin
    Last edited by cmoney12; 2010-07-20 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You don't have to upgrade to the newer firmwares for Cydia to grab your shsh blobs for those firmwares. If you want to see what bootrom you have look at the serial number on your phone. The 3rd digit is the year it was made (9 = 2009) and the next two digits are the week it was made. If it was made on or before the 39th week of 2009 you have the old bootrom.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^The saved SHSH blob only works for that version on that phone.

But....3.1.3 is almost identical to 3.1.2 .. go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ^^The saved SHSH blob only works for that version on that phone.

But....3.1.3 is almost identical to 3.1.2 .. go for it
    So, is there a place to download 3.1.3? Just to verify - 3.1.3 is both jailbreakable and unlockable? I still don't get how Cydia has both SHSHs for 3.1.3 and 4.0 when I've never installed either OS...

Thanks,

-Calvin

Also, my serial is 88929SR.... So I take it I have the older bootrom - does this change anything?

Thanks,

-Calvin
    Last edited by cmoney12; 2010-07-20 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Cydia will save your shsh blobs simply because it can. It does it for you while Apple is signing the firmware incase you need to downgrade to any of them.

Since you have old bootrom it means you can follow which ever of these guides applies to you to jailbreak iOS 4

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmoney12 View Post
    I still don't get how Cydia has both SHSHs for 3.1.3 and 4.0 when I've never installed either OS...
    The SHSHs do not come from your phone and have nothing to do with what firmware you're using. The SHSH blob is the "key" provided by Apple that allows your phone to load a specific firmware.

Simply put, when you try to load a firmware (update/restore/etc), it asks Apple to authenticate by sending an SHSH blob that is unique to your phone and firmware. Without this blob from Apple, you cannot restore to that firmware. Once Apple releases a new firmware, they stop signing the old firmware, which is why you cannot get the blob for 3.1.2 even though you are currently running it. Thus, you can only ever get the blob for the newest firmware.

However, if you clicked "Make My Life Easier" in Cydia, Cydia's server will request each new SHSH blob for you as they are released by Apple, by pretending your phone is requesting it on the current firmware version (regardless of what you are actually using). Cydia then saves this blob for you. You can then pull the blob from Cydia or Apple for safekeeping on your local machine by using something like TinyUmbrella.

Does that make more sense?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

[email protected] imbroste and z6joker9 provided lots of valuable information.

I might add one more tid-bit. Personally ---- I would choose the restore method that does NOT change your baseband. (PwnageTool is a perfect example). It may not really matter much because ultrasn0w can unlock everything 'at the moment'. However, because Apple always adds more and more crap to lock their phones in later and later FW/BB versions, I always try to keep my baseband at the 'earliest' release possible ... thinking earlier releases have far more testing and real-life experience which are likely to be the most stable.

As always ... do whatever you want. For me, the easiest solution is not always the wisest.

OK, so my basic goal is to preserve *unlock* for new owner while securely removing all of my information from the device. I need to ship this puppy out and want to do this as easily and quickly as possible. I know I must seem a little thick, but all of this is a little hard to keep up with. I have verified that I for sure have the older bootrom by putting the phone in DFU mode and checking the version of the USB driver. So, while I'm not trying to screw the new phones owner, I also need to get the device only into in a state where it is unlocked, but ready for them to use. So, given this - could we go over what exactly I need to do one last time? I believe it is:

- Update to 3.1.3 (I'm open to doing this the best method for preserving future unlock, but need to make sure I don't get in over my head...)

- Install jailbreak/unlock.

Could I get a basic step by step on the process? Possibly direction to find the 3.1.3 firmware?

Thanks!

-Calvin

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@cmoney12 ........

While it's possible to 're-create' complete instructions for you, several already exist on MMI and iClarified. A prior post pointed you in the perfect direction. They also direct you to where to get the stock 3.1.3 FW, how to modify your system to accept 3.1.3 'signing' from Saurik's server. and how to build and install.

In short, PwnageTool (for the Mac) or Sn0wbreese (windows) have been updated to allow building a custom IPSW from a stock 3.1.3 FW. These custom FW IPSW's do NOT update the baseband. Use the custom IPSW to restored to your iPhone. This new FW adds Cydia. Using Cydia, update essential and install ultrasn0w for the carrier unlock.

Sorry, but please use these methods. Anything I could create is likely to miss something or not be clear enough.

If you have problems ... please identify the procedure you're using along with the specific problem step, and we can help. Don't rush ahead without understanding as this is likely to cause more problems.