Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Experienced JBer *totally* confused and upset please help (3GS)

Unhappy Experienced JBer *totally* confused and upset please help (3GS)
    Hi guys,

I know this question must be annoying but I've spent the last 2 nights on my nightshifts trying to figure this out but get more confused with everything I read. Either I've become thick, or this issue is more complex than ever before, or my tiredness is betraying me!

I've been JBing/restoring/upgrading/JBing my 3G ever since I bought it and I've just gotten myself a 3GS however it is on 4.0.1 and I'm not sure that it's ever been JB'd.

I've done a lot of reading as I say but have never been so horribly confused! I've downloaded iDetector, which tells me that I have an "old bootrom" but f0recast tells me my 4.0.1 (8A306) 3GS is not unlockable and not tethered... But the Model is MC133B and I thought that "MC" meant it's the new bootrom...?? My baseband is 05.13.04 by the way.

As I say I'm not sure it's ever been jailbroken (bought it second hand off an old guy who probably doesn't know what JB means) so it won't have a SHSH blob thing, whatever that is meant to be!

So now I'm left quite upset and confused. I would never have bought a new iPhone if I wasn't able to JB it.

So my Qs (which despite searching I've really not been able to find reliable and consistent answers to) are:

1) What is this bootrom? Is it different to baseband? Is it possible that my bootrom is indeed "old" but the guy I bought it from ruined it by making it "new" by upgrading to OS4? Or is it an integral bit of hardware that will never change?

2) I just want a JB'd phone. I don't want OS4 if I can help it. Is there any way, without the SHSH thing, and with no previous JB to downgrade it to 3.1.3/3.1.2 and jailbreak that? If so can it only be done tethered?

3) And if it can only be done tethered... what is so bad about that? Does it not just mean be careful not to reboot it (which I almost never need to do anyway!)?? And will I be able to upgrade to 4.0.1 later on if/when a JB becomes available?

4) If there is no way to downgrade then jailbreak again, will I be able to JB the 4.0.1 OS soon or will this be eternally impossible??

I'm deeply upset about this as I only bought the damn thing as a favour to my brother who had his 3G stolen, so I bought this expensive phone (or at the moment piece of limited junk) to be able to give him mine to cheer him up...

I would really appreciate any help whatsoever.

Sam

Thanks

1.) the bootrom is hardware that will not change with an update

2.) without shsh's for 3.x.x then there is no way possible to downgrade to another firmware

3.) there is no jailbreak available at this time for your phone

4.) there will be a jailbreak released by @comex shortly that will be untethered for all devices, as for a release date no one knows but the dev team

there is no need to be upset, you bought a good phone, it is much faster than your old 3G and once the jailbreak is released you will be glad you bought it

could always swap it at an electronic store, ie uk, CEX. (Trade in,exchange etc) that way you could look at a few iphones see if some have got the older 3.1.3 and your be good to go, be worth a try or just wait till there is a release

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LOGiCALX For This Useful Post:

omniathinker (2010-07-20)

Thanks for the responses. I have to say I'm quite shocked by this, however I'm kind of glad I'm forced into using 4.0 and a 3GS. Afetr a day's use it certainly seems faster. I don't know if that's the OS, or just it not being JB'd or if it's the 3GS in action.

Either way I'm really enjoying the smooth operation but I do look forward to the jailbreak ASAP.

Thanks

3GS is much faster than the 3G, jailbroken or not

Thanks. My friends (who aren't necessarily that clued up) say it's marginally faster but I definitely notice a significant speed difference. It flies compared to my JBd 3G!