Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help please :( - 3Gs 3.1.3 update to 4.0 and jailbreak?

Default Help please :( - 3Gs 3.1.3 update to 4.0 and jailbreak?
    Hi all,

I am new to all this and I have not saved my SHSH blobs (I don't even know what these are, but I know they are not saved) :'(

I am currently on 3.1.3 jailbreak via spirit and I want to be on 4.0 jailbroke

My question is ... Will I be able to update to 4.0 then jailbreak ?

And when is the 4.0 jailbreak likely to be available please ?

Thanks
    James

Anyone ?

Also do you know how do the things that bosstools does, without bosstools please ? as its not letting me download
    Last edited by jameslfc5; 2010-07-18 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

BUMP
    I have 3GS (new bootrom)
    I'm currently on 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit too (untethered). I have been reading that you can't jailbreak to 4.0 if you had 3.1.3 on spirit??.. but i dont see how this makes any sense, if i just restore my phone completely and download 4.0 firmware and then jailbreak it.. what difference does it make that i "HAD" spirit with 3.1.3. (phone would be wiped clean)

NOTE: Cydia tells me that my device has SHSH blobs on file for OS: 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.

What are my options?

Quote Originally Posted by UKROB86 View Post
    BUMP
    I have 3GS (new bootrom)
    I'm currently on 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit too (untethered). I have been reading that you can't jailbreak to 4.0 if you had 3.1.3 on spirit??.. but i dont see how this makes any sense, if i just restore my phone completely and download 4.0 firmware and then jailbreak it.. what difference does it make that i "HAD" spirit with 3.1.3. (phone would be wiped clean)

NOTE: Cydia tells me that my device has SHSH blobs on file for OS: 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.

What are my options?
    Thats what I thought mate, I was just thinking of wiping mine back to 4.0 then jailbreaking it ( when a jailbreak was released )

Although the only problem with that, is apple aren't signing 4.0 no more

HELP US PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by jameslfc5 View Post
    Hi all,

I am new to all this and I have not saved my SHSH blobs (I don't even know what these are, but I know they are not saved) :'(

Thanks
    James

Anyone ?

Also do you know how do the things that bosstools does, without bosstools please ? as its not letting me download
    Right now, it's not a good idea to update to 4.0 if you're on 3.1.2(3). The reason being is that if anything goes wrong, you're pretty much stuck in the waiting game like the rest of the 3GS users. The other thing is that if you need your phone to be unlocked, and your update to 4.0 jailbroken fails, you're also stuck. I'm not exactly certain why it's so difficult to JB on iOS 4 for phones previously JB with Spirit. I think it has something to do with the bootup process.

There's just too much variability between all the different iPhone models, iOS', bootroms, bootloaders, etc., that no one can give a definitive answer that encompasses everyone. The best thing for you to do is to do your own research. And if you spent countless hours on the internet, and you can't find what you're looking for, chances are it doesn't exist yet.

So for your scenario, I would advise that you stay on 3.1.3 and keep it JB w/Spirit. Do not update to 4.0, as you won't be able to downgrade, since you don't have your SHSHs. That is probably the best advice anyone can give you.

BUMP
    I have 3GS (new bootrom)

What are my options?
    Note that your situation is very different from jamesflc5. Please, in the future, DO NOT EVER post something like this in the same thread. You have to realize that you have the potential to confuse someone who has barely any experience and you end up screwing them over. You are always welcome to make a new post for your specific situation. There are just too many scenarios out there right now for JB iPhones.
    Last edited by douflag; 2010-07-18 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    Right now, it's not a good idea to update to 4.0 if you're on 3.1.2(3). The reason being is that if anything goes wrong, you're pretty much stuck in the waiting game like the rest of the 3GS users. The other thing is that if you need your phone to be unlocked, and your update to 4.0 jailbroken fails, you're also stuck. I'm not exactly certain why it's so difficult to JB on iOS 4 for phones previously JB with Spirit. I think it has something to do with the bootup process.

There's just too much variability between all the different iPhone models, iOS', bootroms, bootloaders, etc., that no one can give a definitive answer that encompasses everyone. The best thing for you to do is to do your own research. And if you spent countless hours on the internet, and you can't find what you're looking for, chances are it doesn't exist yet.

So for your scenario, I would advise that you stay on 3.1.3 and keep it JB w/Spirit. Do not update to 4.0, as you won't be able to downgrade, since you don't have your SHSHs. That is probably the best advice anyone can give you.

Note that your situation is very different from jamesflc5. Please, in the future, DO NOT EVER post something like this in the same thread. You have to realize that you have the potential to confuse someone who has barely any experience and you end up screwing them over. You are always welcome to make a new post for your specific situation. There are just too many scenarios out there right now for JB iPhones.
    Hi mate,

I really appreciate your reply there and its certainly been a help, the only thing I am left asking is... how long do you think it will be until I can upgrade to 4.0 or above and jailbreak ?

ps, can you answer that bosstools question I had

Hi mate,

I really appreciate your reply there and its certainly been a help, the only thing I am left asking is... how long do you think it will be until I can upgrade to 4.0 or above and jailbreak ?

ps, can you answer that bosstools question I had
    Unfortunately, only the JB developers have the info on release dates. And even then, I think they don't follow a specific schedule. I believe the JB is finished, with the exception of making a final easy to use package for end-users. I would advise you to check the twitter accounts for @comex, @planetbeing, and @musclenerd. These are the devs working on the JB/Unlocks, and they are pretty good about updating their twitters.

I have never used bosstools before, so I can't comment on that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to douflag For This Useful Post:

jameslfc5 (2010-07-18)

Unfortunately, only the JB developers have the info on release dates. And even then, I think they don't follow a specific schedule. I believe the JB is finished, with the exception of making a final easy to use package for end-users. I would advise you to check the twitter accounts for @comex, @planetbeing, and @musclenerd. These are the devs working on the JB/Unlocks, and they are pretty good about updating their twitters.

I have never used bosstools before, so I can't comment on that.
    Okay thanks i will check them out!

I take it you're on the JB? - the main reason I want to go to 4.0 is so I can have the spellcheck and the easy way ( a good looking way ) of arranging and making folders, because I am not really a fan of how the standard categories does it

Also can you please tell me a way of freeing up some memory or provide me with a guide ? I have searched and searched the internet with no avail

Thanks so much for your help!

Bro you need to relax. My situation is IN FACT very similar to his, the only difference IS THAT I DO HAVE MY SHSH BLOBS ON FILE AND I SPECIFICALLY MADE A NOTE OF THIS ON MY POST, TO OUTLINE THE DIFFERENCE. SO AGAIN RELAX.

Thanks

BUMP
    I have 3GS (new bootrom)

What are my options?
    The reason you can't just upgrade to a stock 4.0 because you won't be able to jailbreak. Currently the only way to get 4.0 jailbroken on a 3GS is to install a custom firmware. There are three reasons why you wouldn't be able to do that: 1. Your currently jailbroken with spirit which doesn't leave the necessary hole for a custom fw. 2. If your on a stock 4.x you not jailbroken so no custom fw. 3. Your phone has the new bootrom which won't accept a custom fw.

There is a complicated method of getting a jailbroken 4.0 on a 3GS with the new bootrom if you have shsh's backed up for 3.1.2. It involves a moddified version of sn0wbreeze. If your feeling brave you can try that.

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    The reason you can't just upgrade to a stock 4.0 because you won't be able to jailbreak. Currently the only way to get 4.0 jailbroken on a 3GS is to install a custom firmware. There are three reasons why you wouldn't be able to do that: 1. Your currently jailbroken with spirit which doesn't leave the necessary hole for a custom fw. 2. If your on a stock 4.x you not jailbroken so no custom fw. 3. Your phone has the new bootrom which won't accept a custom fw.

There is a complicated method of getting a jailbroken 4.0 on a 3GS with the new bootrom if you have shsh's backed up for 3.1.2. It involves a moddified version of sn0wbreeze. If your feeling brave you can try that.
    Ok man thanks that's what I thought, ok well just to play it safe, I think I'll wait till the new spirit comes out, which I have heard rumoured to come out soon.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks
    James

Do you know if your on old or new bootrom? Go to settings>General>About and let me know what the 3rd, 4th and 5th digit of your Serial No is.

It may be possible to get to 4.0 JB if you are on old. If your on new, currently it's not possible.

What does bosstools do? I may be able to help!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

wreclusrob (2010-07-20)