Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3gs ios4 question

Default iphone 3gs ios4 question
    Let me start off by saying I am new to the iphone unlocking scene. I am pretty good with computers so I thought I would ask for some advice.

I just bought an Iphone 3gs on Craigslist yesterday. The previous owner upgraded from his previous firmware to 4.0. He was using AT&T's network as well.

I am stuck here trying to unlock it but I do know that it isnt out yet. I also know that I have the new bootrom.

What I am asking is if it's possible for me to downgrade to 3.1.3 or another firmware so that I can unlock and use with with another GSM carrier? I have been reading that it is possible and that it isnt. The phone has not been previously unlocked or jailbroken. All I can do now is browse the internet with it or use apps w/o the sim card in. I have not even tried to put the sim card in as of now.

Any suggestions or how-to's would be great. Hopefully it is possible to downgrade and unlock but that is basically what I am asking. Thanks!

Only if the device was previously jailbroken and has cydia on it, you'd need to use tinyunbrella to check if your shsh was saved if not your pot out of luck.

So there is no way to downgrade it either?

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

There is currently no way to jailbreak the new bootrom 3gs on 4.0 OS . A new jb will be out soon for it. No way to downgrade it unless it had its shsh blobs saved. You can use tinyumbrella to check and see if your shsh blobs have been saved. IF you by chance have 3.1.3. shsh blobs saved you could downgrade and use spirit to jb it.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 2010-07-18 at 12:09 AM.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

bkortee (2010-07-18), mike_carter1 (2010-07-18)

Ok thanks. Where do you use tiny umbrella at? site? Sorry, new at this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

First off, a new bootrom 3GS CAN be jailbroken on 4.0. It's tethered, it's ugly, and it's a pain in the ***, but it can be done. I've done it, and I'm tethering off of that 3GS on 4.0 right now.

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/718...jailbreak.html

That being said, it's pretty critical that you be able to roll back to 3.1.2 prior to executing this jailbreak. You MIGHT be able to do it without downgrading to 3.1.2, but I won't make that recommendation. If you want to try that, it's up to you.

TinyUmbrella should be able to tell you if a 3.1.2 SHSH for your phone is saved on Cydia.

Ok, I just saved my SHSH and it said it was successful. Anyone have a step by step on what I should do now?

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bkortee View Post
    Ok, I just saved my SHSH and it said it was successful. Anyone have a step by step on what I should do now?
    There is nothing you do now, unless TU says that it has older shsh blobs saved. Click display shsh blobs. If it has anything other than 4.0 you may be able to do something. If so you have allot of reading to do to get where you want. Check out the guides section of mmi.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter