Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak help

Default Jailbreak help
    Hello All. I just got this iPhone 3gs from a friend. It is jailbroken with blackra1n I believe. Everytime the phone is turned off, I have to run the blackra1n program and click "make it ra1n". I was wondering if there is another method I can do without having to "make it ra1n" everytime the phone is turned off. Will custom firmware through pwnage work for me?

I also need the phone to be unlocked so it has to be an old firmware and not 4.0

Here is the phone info
    version: 3.1.2
    modem firmware: 05.11.07
    bootrom: 359.3.2

Your particular phone is a tethered option.

If you got your SHSH on file for 3.1.2 you could try re-installing it to 3.1.2 and then use the spirit to jailbreak untethered.

A tethered jailbreak means that once your iPhone is successfully jailbroken with blackra1n, you'll need to connect your iPhone to your computer if you ever need to reboot your iPhone or your iPhone loses battery charge.

What you'll see when you reboot your iPhone (if you're tethered) is the iTunes and USB picture. Once you get this, simply open up blackra1n and press "Make It Ra1n." This WILL NOT re-jailbreak or restore your iPhone, all it is doing is booting back up your iPhone for you.

You will require a tethered jailbreak if you have the NEW bootrom version. The OLD iBoot version was 359.3 and the NEW version is iBoot 359.3.2. There are a few methods to check which iBoot version you have.
    Like i said Spirit should untether it, but does it really matter to conenct it each time, just dont turn it off.?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LOGiCALX For This Useful Post:

pdinh001 (2010-07-17)

Yeah, not having the phone turn off is the easy way out lol. Do I have to reinstall the os to use spirit or can I just use spirit on it when it is already blackra1ned.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Youd have to restore to factory then run Spirit. Spirit requires the official carrier of that phone to actiate before you can run the jailbreak.

If you dont have SHSH files backed up you cant restore. You would be forced to go up to iOS 4 which is not good for 3GS especially since you have the new bootrom. Youd have to take precautions and i cant for sure say if iOS 4 can be jailbroken on a 3GS with the new boot but I know its a bit complicated especially now that 4.0.1 is out.

Be aware, do not attempt to run Spirit over your phone unless you restore. Running a jailbreak over a jailbreak will brick your phone.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-07-17 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

pdinh001 (2010-07-17)