Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs new bootrom, can i save 4.0 shsh then downgrade?

Default 3gs new bootrom, can i save 4.0 shsh then downgrade?
    Hi all

I know these questions are getting asked all the time, but if someone could give me a definitive answer i would appreciate it it.

I have a 3gs (new bootrom) currently on 3.1.2 (05.11.07) with shsh backed up for 3.1.3

Can up upgrade to 4.0 to save my shsh then downgrade again because i rely on a unlock?

Thanks for any help

Dan
    Last edited by woody565; 2010-07-16 at 08:34 AM.

- it's too late to get 4.0 SHSH blobs, the signing window is closed
    - you do not need to upgrade your phone to backup SHSH blobs for which the window is still open
    - if you would upgrade to 4.0, then you would only be able to downgrade back to 3.1.3, since you don't have a 3.1.2 SHSH blob.

hi

thanks for the reply, after searching around this site and google i tried using tinyumbrella and backed up my blobs for 4.0 so the window must still be open if anyone else needs to do it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Are you sure it backed up 4.0 and not 4.0.1?

i think it is 4.0 it says 4.0 in cydia and here is what TU looked like

Thanks

Hmm, looks like it, mixed reports indeed.

You are lucky, you seem to have a valid 4.0 blob!

Note that your TinyUmbrella is configured to pull it from the Cydia site, not the Apple site. Maybe Cydia already had your blob on file, which is why your backup was successful. Anyway, I just asked Apple for another 4.0 blob for my phone to see if they are still issuing them -- it failed, so Apple is definitely no longer signing 4.0.

The window is definitely open - furthermore, you can downgrade to 4.0 firmware through itunes itself without using tinytss or getting the error.

I know cos i just did it.

Thanks

Perhaps it's not closed in all countries. Some report it is.

Well that's certainly interesting. Not sure why it is country-specific -- umbrella is going to the same server (gs.apple.com) regardless of country. Could it be a split DNS? In Australia, gs.apple.com resolves to 17.151.36.30. Or maybe they look up the ECID to see which country the phone was sold in, and differentiate on that basis. But why do that?