Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Been away for a while - Any quick Info?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Been away for a while - Any quick Info?
    So I have been out of the scene for a while, and starting to have a few issues with both mine and my wife's iPhones, with Cydia, and other apps crashing.

I have been wanting to start messing with them again but want some quick info and possibly any links if you guys could. I am at work so can't search right now, and hoping all the info I will need will be here when I get home.

We both have iPhone 3GS, both jailbroken with BlackRa1n, both on 3.1.2, and both (pretty sure) with the newer boot loaders...

What is the easiest way to update and rejailbreak?

Should we move to 3.1.3 or 4.0? Can we still jailbreak and just stay with 3.1.2? I'd rather upgrade, because there are a few apps my wife wants that are 4.0 exclusive...

Thanks in advance for any and all info/help.

Thanks

First you would need to know for sure if you have the old or the new bootrom. Do you have to connect the phones to a computer and rerun blackra1n every time you restart them?

If so then they are new bootroms. If not, they are old and you'll be in much better shape. If you do have the old bootrom in both phones you can create a custom firmware with either sn0wbreeze or pwnage and restore to that for a jailbroken 4.0.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-07-16 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    First you would need to know for sure if you have the old or the new bootrom. Do you have to connect the phones to a computer and rerun blackra1n every time you restart them?

If so then they are new bootroms. If not, they are old and you'll be in much better shape. If you do have the old bootrom in both phones you can create a custom firmware with either sn0wbreeze or pwnage and restore to that for a jailbroken 4.0.
    It is a tethered jailbreak, and if I remember correctly, it is newer boot rom because of the serial number (something to do with week code)...

Does that mean that there still is no untethered jailbreak, and that I will be unable to update to 4.0? What about 3.1.3 then, or just restoring and rejailbreaking to 1.1.2?

Thanks for the reply...I have an upgrade available and could sell my phone and get a new iPhone 4..but with the current issues, I felt it better to wait it out a little while longer, even debating on leaving AT&T, but that's another topic lol...

Thanks

There is a method to upgrade to a jailbroken 4.0 with sn0wbreeze if you have the shsh's on file for 3.1.2, but it's complicated and it will still be tethered. Honestly your probably best off staying where you are for the time being. A new jailbreak for 4.x shouldn't be too far off.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Well if you have SHSH for 3.1.3 upgrade to that and JB with Spirit for an untethered solution. Other than that, you'll have to wait it out.

Thanks

There is a method to upgrade to a jailbroken 4.0 with sn0wbreeze if you have the shsh's on file for 3.1.2, but it's complicated and it will still be tethered. Honestly your probably best off staying where you are for the time being. A new jailbreak for 4.x shouldn't be too far off.
    Ya they are on file, but I'd like an untethered solution, so I may just wait it out :P

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    Well if you have SHSH for 3.1.3 upgrade to that and JB with Spirit for an untethered solution. Other than that, you'll have to wait it out.
    I have never upgraded to 3.1.3 so I do not have shsh on file for 3.1.3, but I do for 3.1.2, will that work the same? I would love an untethered JB...lmk

Thanks!

Thanks

With the 3.1.2 shsh's you can do a fresh restore to that then use spirit to jailbreak to be untethered.

Thanks

With the 3.1.2 shsh's you can do a fresh restore to that then use spirit to jailbreak to be untethered.
    Ok thanks again for the help, I will have to look into spirit...it's been several months since I have done this, do I just restore and pick a 3.1.2 ipsw? I will google it when I get home :P