Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which Jailbreak Fits Your iDevice And Needs?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Which Jailbreak Fits Your iDevice And Needs?
    There are various jailbreaking tools out there but each one fits certain amount of peoples needs and preferences. Some are for new people and some are for experienced ones, so which jailbreak tool fits YOU?

RedSn0w:
    Latest Version: 0.9.5 B5-5
    Compatible With: All OS's from iOS4 and below.
    iDevices Supported: iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (Non MC Model)
    Type: Ramdisk Jailbreak
    Info/Tutorial: RedSn0w is a little harder to use than the others out there, but is the most efficient. It's harder to patch, unlike Blackra1n and Spirit which are userland jailbreaks.
    To use redsn0w you download a version corresponding to your firmware. 0.9.3 for 3.1.2, 0.9.4 for 3.1.3, 0.9.5 for iOS4. Download redsn0w but also download an IPSW that corresponds to your iDevice. Also, gather custom boot logos and recovery logos if you want, but this is optional. Browse to the downloaded IPSW and select it. RedSn0w will now process it and verify the IPSW then click next. You will come up with a screen to enable custom boot logos and recovery logos, install cydia, or already pwned. (Already pwned means already jailbroken. iOS4 version includes enable wallpaper, multitasking and battery percentage). Choose what you would like and click next. (Note: if using a new beta version to fix a feature, simply deselect install cydia if just for bug fixes). At the next screen plug
    In your iPhone and turn it off by holding the power button until a slide to power off notification appears. After your iDevice is COMPLETELY off, get ready to press the power button and follow the instructions on the next screen. RedSn0w will do the rest for you and you just wait until it's done with it's thing. RedSn0w is COMPLETELY done when your iPhone or iPod Touch reboots and is at the slide to unlock theme. Congratulations, you are jailbroken. (iPhone 3G and iTouch 2G Non MC Untethered, others: Tethered or not supported)

PwnageTool/Sn0wbreeze:
    Jailbreak type: Custom Firmware
    Latest Version: 1.7.1
    Supports: iOS4 and below
    iDevices supported: All, but limited.

Sn0wbreeze (Windows) and PwnageTool (Mac) Is not that hard to use, but could get complicated. What you have to do is download an IPSW that corresponds to your iDevice and current firmware running.
    (Note: You have to be already jailbroken in order for this to work). Open up Sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool and click next, Choose simple mode or expert mode. (Simple it does everything for you and root partition is set at default for 750mb, and your boot and recovery logo will be a snowflake for sn0wbreeze, not sure about pwnagetool at the time being. It will also only install cydia) (Expert: Use a different boot/recovery logo, set custom root partition, and select to install Rock and preselected packages) Next: browse to your IPSW and the tool will identify your device and will notify you if it's ready, or to warn you it will be a tethered jailbreak or if it's unsupported at the time. Click next. It will now start creating your custom firmware. It will ask you if you want to hacktivate your iDevice, click "No" if on an official carrier like AT&T, "Yes" if on T-mobile or other. After it's done, go to http://www.iH8sn0w.com and download iREB. (Optional, but recommended) Open iREB and choose your device and make sure it's plugged in, wait for your iDevice to get into a white screen, then open iTunes. (iREB also tries to get you out of boot loops, very useful) After iTunes is Open go to your device and it will say it needs to be restored. Hold down the shift button your keyboard and click restore at the same time. Navigate to the custom firmware that Sn0wbreeze created for you or PwnageTool and now open it and let iTunes do all the work for you. If sucessful, congrats, if any failure messages encountered during the jailbreak, contact iH8Sn0w and he will personally tell you what's wrong, if it fails you need to restore. Try again or use a different tool.

Spirit:
    Supports: 3.1.3 and below
    iDevices supported: ALL
    Latest Version: Unknown (Later Updated)
    Jailbreak Type: Userland

Spirit is a userland jailbreak and "One-Click" jailbreak just like Blackra1n. Items required none. Just download the latest version of spirit from the website http://www.spiritjb.org

After downloaded, simply connect your iDevice to your computer and if iTunes shows up, close it. After iTunes is closed, run and open spirit. All you have to do is click "Jailbreak" and you are done! Congratulations! Wait until your iDevice boots to the slide to unlock screen to disconnect. Note: Spirit is a userland jailbreak, therefore easy to patch by a newer version of iTunes, so DO NOT UPGRADE ITUNES! NO EXCEPTIONS UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOSE YOUR JAILBREAK!

BlackRa1n:
    Jailbreak Type: Bootroom
    Supports: 3.1.3 and below
    iDevices supported: (Unknown, tethered and untethered updated soon)
    Latest version: unknown (updated soon)

Blackra1n by GeoHot is another "One-Click" jailbreak just like Spirit. Simply download Blackra1n from http://www.blackra1n.com and choose windows or Mac version. Download. After complete, connect your iDevice to your computer and if iTunes shows up, close it. After iTunes is closed run blackra1n and click "Let it ra1n" and blackra1n does all the work for you, you will see GeoHot's face for a while and then it will boot up, don't disconnect until it's at the "Slide to unlock screen" you will notice a Blackra1n app in your screen, this is a very useful app with useful features. Congrats, you're jailbroken!

ZiPhone is a free, open source and all-in-one jailbreak / unlocking tool for iPhone and iPod Touch. The latest version of the unlocking software supports the new v2.0 iPhone OS and more international networks. The developer warns users not to upgrade to iPhone 2.0 firmware when itís made available if they want to have fun with their iPhones.

As you might already know, Iím a huge fan of the ZiPhone iPhone Unlocking/Jailbreaking utility. Itís so easy to use and only takes seconds to run. Thereís more good news about ZiPhone today as version 3.0 has been released.

It is able to hack any version of firmware from 1.0.0 through 1.1.4, and as mentioned previously, the process is so darn simple. Among the changes in 3.0 are a new embedded application installer, and support for customized plugins. It should also solve out any Ďgrayed-outí Wi-Fi issues.

These are all the known jailbreak tools, there are small, unknown, or outdated jailbreak tools like "QuickPWN, WinPWN, ZiPhone, etc" but I will be posting these as well, let me just submit this post now as my iPhone 3G is slowing down from writing this huge post. Welcome to the Jailbreaking world and the community! And welcome to ModMyi!

PROS/CONS: All of these tools are excellent! But yet each have their flaws.

RedSn0w:
    PROS:
    1)Fast, Reliable, And Extremely hard to patch
    2) It has varieties of customization options like custom boot logos, recovery, verbose boot etc.
    3) "Red Rescue" If your iDevice is stuck in a boot loop, stuck in DFU or recovery, simply put the iDevice into DFU and run redsn0w again, think of it as a restore, but one that keeps your jailbreak

CONS:
    1) Very customizable, but not as much as PwnageTool/Sn0wbreeze.
    2) Has slight bugs
    3) Not many untethered options available.

PwnageTool/Sn0wbreeze:

PROS:
    1) Very customizable, more than redsn0w in fact! Select root partition size, custom boot/recovery logos, preinstall other installers (Rock) and even pre-install packages!
    2)Very efficient, not as many bugs as redsn0w.
    3) Hard to patch, nearly impossible

CONS
    1) Very high failure rate leading to restores.
    2) Takes a bit of time to create the custom IPSW
    3) In danger, as Apple could easily disable the Shift+Restore feature and leave this tool useless.
    4) Hard to use (Expert Mode)

Spirit:

PROS:
    1) Lightning-Fast jailbreak
    2) Very easy to use and recommended for people
    New to jailbreaking
    3) Very smooth operation

CONS:
    1) Can easily be patched by a new version of iTunes

BlackRa1n:

PROS:
    1) See PROS For Spirit
    2) BlackRa1n App is very convenient and useful!

CONS:
    1) Some report lousy jailbreak that's very buggy

Ziphone:

PROS:
    1) "ALL-IN-ONE" Tool, Jailbreaks and unlocks in the same program.
    2) Very easy to use, simplistic.

CONS:
    1) Extremely Outdated...

Which Fits You?

If you are new to jailbreaking and just want to be jailbroken, I recommend using Spirit Or BlackRa1n.

If you are sort of an experienced user or even a new one as well, but want an efficient and long lasting jailbreak, I recommend RedSn0w.

If you are a VERY experienced person and are an expert, I recommend using Sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool.

If you want a 100% Success In Jailbreaking your Device, Avoid PwnageTool/Sn0wbreeze.

If you never update iTunes: Use Spirit.

If you have an old iDevice and haven't updated it for some time, use ZiPhone, WinPWN.

If you want a bootroom jailbreak: BlackRa1n

Efficient Ramdisk: RedSn0w

UPGRADING NOTICE:
    iOS4 is not fully compatible with all the apps in Cydia/Rock, so it is recommended that you stay on 3.1.2 Or 3.1.3.

DOWNGRADING NOTICE:
    If you upgrading by accident to iOS4, 3.1.3 is now unsigned and cannot be downgraded unless you have your SHSH Saved.

OS DIFFERENTIAL NOTICE:
    There is no difference in any OS below iOS4, they are all the same and fully compatible with ALL APPS. No Worries. Only iOS4 is still in the compatibility works.

You should stay away from iOS4 until further notice, Thank You.

If you are on 3.1.2 or below and thinking about going to 3.1.3 then you're wrong, you'll automatically go to iOS4.
    Please PM me for any concerns or additions recommended, please try to avoid the comments section.... Thank you
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-15 at 07:51 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Blackra1n is NOT a userland JB.

Thanks

I know I copy and
    Pasted the spirit TUT to the blackra1n TUT to save time, yes I'm sorry I'll fix it now

What type is it then? Tell me I can't find it anywhere
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-15 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

bootrom exploit
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

iPhone? More like MyPhone allicatmeow's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    What type is it then? Tell me I can't find it anywhere
    bootrom.

Thanks

Thanks already figured it out
    Lol right before you posted it. thanks though. It's updated right now! Should include WinPWN, QuickPWN, and ZiPhone?

Note: all these tutorials and messages were written by ME. The only copy and pasted one was ZiPhone as it is outdated. If my tutorials seem alike to others, that is purely coincidental. Thank You.
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-15 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think it would be more helpful to people if you gave a link to the mmi tutorials as they have screen shots and are a bit clearer. If you gave proper credit I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Also if you had it broken down by iPhone models/requirements ex: 3gs (needs to have shsh blobs stored........), 3g (can be jb/unlocked on any firmware at anytime) especially since it seems to be such a big question is "can I jb this" and then sub-broken down by which jailbreaks.

What you have is good but with a little more organization it will make it easier to understand for people who don't know much about jailbreaking.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

cheeto81 (2010-07-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    I think it would be more helpful to people if you gave a link to the mmi tutorials as they have screen shots and are a bit clearer. If you gave proper credit I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Also if you had it broken down by iPhone models/requirements ex: 3gs (needs to have shsh blobs stored........), 3g (can be jb/unlocked on any firmware at anytime) especially since it seems to be such a big question is "can I jb this" and then sub-broken down by which jailbreaks.

What you have is good but with a little more organization it will make it easier to understand for people who don't know much about jailbreaking.
    I need a mod to edit this and organize it for me, because I can't do it from my iPhone and I don't have a computer, so my only hope would be a mod to edit my post and organize it more. Also, requirements are already there (iPhone models) just buried in all that text lol. Just need a mod...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

DOWNGRADING NOTICE:
    If you upgrading by accident to iOS4, 3.1.3 is now unsigned and cannot be downgraded unless you have your SHSH Saved.

OS DIFFERENTIAL NOTICE:
    There is no difference in any OS below iOS4, they are all the same and fully compatible with ALL APPS. No Worries. Only iOS4 is still in the compatibility works.

You should stay away from iOS4 until further notice, Thank You.

If you are on 3.1.2 or below and thinking about going to 3.1.3 then you're wrong, you'll automatically go to iOS4.
    This info isn't completely true either. 3g can be downgraded without shsh. "differential notice" that is just untrue. There is differences, otherwise why would there be different versions? There are many apps that won't work if you are on an earlier firmware, even from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3. People shouldn't stay away from iOS4 necessarily, just know what they are getting into before updating. You can go to different firmwares that "automatically go to iOS4" 3g just shift/option restore, 3gs just needs to have shsh blobs to restore to a different firmware.

Thanks

I'll say it again: I need a mod to edit the whole thread. I know 3G doesn't need blobs, I was reffering to the 3GS but I thought people would already know that. OS differentials: I'm saying what features are different. 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 are basically the same. Apps have different version to support different OS's so there's no "Uncompatibility with eachother" that's just untrue. One time I downloaded mewseek and said it was only 3.1.2 compatible and that 3.1.3 compatible version was in the works, I installed it anyway and it worked wonderfully. Some apps that say OS 3.x.x only still work on my iOS, so that isn't the case, they're basically the same, just have to look for compatibility

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There is no difference in any OS below iOS4, they are all the same and fully compatible with ALL APPS.
    Some apps that say OS 3.x.x only still work on my iOS, so that isn't the case, they're basically the same, just have to look for compatibility
    Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say I guess?

You should have held off and let someone who has the capabilities to write/rewrite/edit/add/delete the information instead of making an incomplete and hard to understand thread which I think is just gonna confuse people. But hey thats just my two cents and what do I know.

Thanks

Originally this was just the jailbreak guide and that's it. I'm deleting OS differential, all that extra stuff. I'll just leave the jailbreak guide