Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: New Sticky Needed

  1. #1
    Default New Sticky Needed
    First off, cudo's to modmyi and the modertators for all the work that has been done...i don't want this to be taken in vane...

    But, I think the sticky's for the General forum for Jailbreaking needs updating....

    why is there still a sticky from 2008 for iphone 2.1?

    Why isn't there a sticky that compares all the jailbreak methods? which one should i use? redsn0w? blackra1n? spirit? Pwnage? Sn0wbreze? etc... I don't see this in "other methods" either...

    I notice a lot of posts of "I have this specific model, at this specific firmware, with this specific bootrom etc...which method should i use?"

    Wouldn't it be best to have 1 sticky, that has some sort of excel table or well organized list, that says which to use (or the pro/cons of each) depending on your specifics? I would think this would save the moderators a lot of time...btw, this is also nonexistent, or extremely difficult to find the the guides too

    the closest thing i can find is this page
    iphone jailbreak table | iPhone News, Help and Guides
    which says which will work, but it doesn't list the pros/cons of each method, and which is best to use....i.e i have a 3G 3.1.2, so i can use spirit, redsn0w, pwnage or black ra1n...but it doesn't say that if i use spirit, i can't use pwanage to go to 4.0(http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...k-ios-4-a.html) , and that spirit is not setup for 4.0 yet

    I just think there should a single "get all your basic questions answered here" sticky, and it would reduce many duplicate threads. When someone posts a new thread with a situation not listed in this sticky, update the sticky...soon it will be a comprehensive HOW TO.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeto81 For This Useful Post:

    Captinsmooth (2010-07-15)

  3. #2
    Retired Moderator z3r01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,697
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 886 Times in 557 Posts

    Gonna look into that now

  4. #3
    Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 351 Times in 199 Posts

    Good idea, but someone has to write this guide. You could always start compiling this info.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

    Click here to follow me on twitter

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Good idea, but someone has to write this guide. You could always start compiling this info.
    agreed...and anyone could for that matter...I'd be willing to, but I'd want a consensus from the mods that it will be a sticky, and updated properly...

    I'm not an expert...kind of a newb actually (have had an iphone for at least 2 years (2G), but out of laziness and the fact that when i had the time to jailbreak my USB wasn't working) i didn't jailbreak till a couple months ago...although in that short period of time i have tried to read up, and know a decent amount now...

    That being said, before i start compiling anything, i want to hear from the mods...maybe they are working on something, or don't like the idea, and would rather assist on a thread by thread basis instead of putting time into a comprehensive HOWTO...

    i think the first step would be for a mod to contact the author of the link i provided (BigBoss iphone jailbreak table | iPhone News, Help and Guides) and ask if we can copy his table and give him creds, and build off that...Its a great start, and would be a shame to redo or steal

    Also, someone who keeps up with the latest in jailbreaking (which isn't me) needs to take ownership of this, and update it accordingly... I've seen too many HOWTO's become useless because when something new comes out, no one updates it... I've seen posts on "how to jailbreak 3.x.x with YYYYYYY" which becomes obsolete with a new firmware or jailbreak tool, which is better comes out...and no one updates the front page...

    This sticky should have 1 post, and not open to comments...if someone thinks there is something wrong, or the sticky needs updating, they can PM the mod who can update the page...it should not be littered with comments...

  6. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hialeah, Florida, USA
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 87 Times in 74 Posts

    I just finished completing a thread. It is now up and running and explains very thoroughly what each jailbreak tool is and who's it fit for, devices supported, etc. Look at my profile, threads started, and it's there. Cheers. I'm later updating it because certain things I forgot. Mods if it's in the wrong section then please move it! I'm waiting for it to be stickied. Cheers!

    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/719...ice-needs.html
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-15 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    I just finished completing a thread. It is now up and running and explains very thoroughly what each jailbreak tool is and who's it fit for, devices supported, etc. Look at my profile, threads started, and it's there. Cheers. I'm later updating it because certain things I forgot. Mods if it's in the wrong section then please move it! I'm waiting for it to be stickied. Cheers!

    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/719...ice-needs.html
    This is a good start...thanks...Here's what I think it needs:

    1) I can see from your post that i can use any of them for 3.1.2...but which should i use? I read through the whole thing its not clear. the pros/cons of each is not evident

    2) there is a ton of text which needs better formatting (bold, underlining, italics, headers etc).

    3) it needs to be better organized...like in a table like the link i posted...

    4) The instructions for each is not needed: a link to a specific directions thread would be better)...

    5) Also, the sticky should include the pros/cons of each firmware, bootrom etc...3.1 vs 3.1.2 vs 3.1.3 vs 4.0 etc...

    6) consistency: redsnow had "Compatible With" while pwnage has "supports"....this should be consistent

    7) for redsnow, where do you download the firmware? (IPSW)

  8. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hialeah, Florida, USA
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 87 Times in 74 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeto81 View Post
    agreed...and anyone could for that matter...I'd be willing to, but I'd want a consensus from the mods that it will be a sticky, and updated properly...

    I'm not an expert...kind of a newb actually (have had an iphone for at least 2 years (2G), but out of laziness and the fact that when i had the time to jailbreak my USB wasn't working) i didn't jailbreak till a couple months ago...although in that short period of time i have tried to read up, and know a decent amount now...

    That being said, before i start compiling anything, i want to hear from the mods...maybe they are working on something, or don't like the idea, and would rather assist on a thread by thread basis instead of putting time into a comprehensive HOWTO...

    i think the first step would be for a mod to contact the author of the link i provided (BigBoss iphone jailbreak table | iPhone News, Help and Guides) and ask if we can copy his table and give him creds, and build off that...Its a great start, and would be a shame to redo or steal

    Also, someone who keeps up with the latest in jailbreaking (which isn't me) needs to take ownership of this, and update it accordingly... I've seen too many HOWTO's become useless because when something new comes out, no one updates it... I've seen posts on "how to jailbreak 3.x.x with YYYYYYY" which becomes obsolete with a new firmware or jailbreak tool, which is better comes out...and no one updates the front page...

    This sticky should have 1 post, and not open to comments...if someone thinks there is something wrong, or the sticky needs updating, they can PM the mod who can update the page...it should not be littered with comments...
    I have finally finished the thread and updated it successfully, I just need a moderator or super moderator to delete all comments and to close the thread to any comments. This would-be great! Took me some time to type the while thing in my iPhone 3G, but I did it, only thing i googles was ZiPhone, but that's it.

    Hey, I saw all 7 of your concerns. As far as concerns 2 and 3 goes: I'm sorry I can't "Organize It" AT ALL. I wrote this completely from my iPhone 3G and it took me some time. I can't organize it from my iPhone because Bold, italics, etc I can't do it from the Phone. Tables, don't even mention it...
    As far as Tutorials go: This is great so you have all your jailbreaking information all in one post and don't have to navigate through each forum, it's an "All-In-One" Post. It's better like that. Comparing each and Pros/Cons, I'll get right on it A.S.A.P. I'll start right now. If a mod can edit the whole thread when I'm done, that would be super.
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-15 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    I'm sorry I can't "Organize It" AT ALL. I wrote this completely from my iPhone 3G and it took me some time. I can't organize it from my iPhone because Bold, italics, etc I can't do it from the Phone. Tables, don't even mention it...
    Please don't get defensive, its just constructive criticism...i started off by thanking and praising your efforts....but i would honestly rather start from the table i posted alink to, or from scratch...the useful info in your post is lost in the abundance of text and lack of formatting and organization...there is no rush to get this posted that demands you do it from your iphone.



    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    As far as Tutorials go: This is great so you have all your jailbreaking information all in one post and don't have to navigate through each forum, it's an "All-In-One" Post. It's better like that.
    yes, I like all-in-one but only if its well organized... and having a links to tool specific threads does not require users to "navigate through each forum"...a user find this thread, sees they should use blackra1n, so they click a link which brings them to blackra1n instructions (which already exist, which screenshots and all)


    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    Comparing each and Pros/Cons, I'll get right on it A.S.A.P. I'll start right now. If a mod can edit the whole thread when I'm done, that would be super.
    Thank you. Again, no rush if it will be unformatted via your iphone...lets get Mod feedback before devoting so much time that makes people upset that the work they put in will be scrapped or completely redone

  10. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hialeah, Florida, USA
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 87 Times in 74 Posts

    I would be thankful if a mod can please "Organize" My thread for me. Put bold, italics, colors, etc where you think it should go. Delete comments as well and close the thread to new comments and only mods can comment on the thread. By the way @Cheeto81, I'm trying my hardest and I don't have a computer at all... It broke and i don't have any money to buy a new one, I work from my iPhone. Please don't rush to organize as I'm unable to do this, and I'm certainly not in a rush just because I can't organize it, I CAN'T! Jesus... Please bro... Calm down. Anyway the thread is UPDATED!

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    I would be thankful if a mod can please "Organize" My thread for me. Put bold, italics, colors, etc where you think it should go. Delete comments as well and close the thread to new comments and only mods can comment on the thread. By the way @Cheeto81, I'm trying my hardest and I don't have a computer at all... It broke and i don't have any money to buy a new one, I work from my iPhone. Please don't rush to organize as I'm unable to do this, and I'm certainly not in a rush just because I can't organize it, I CAN'T! Jesus... Please bro... Calm down. Anyway the thread is UPDATED!
    Easy killer...I'm completely calm, and not the one screamin... If you don't have the right tools to do the job, don't do the job. It's like you're trying to race in nascar with a go-kart...btw, you still don't have the pros/cons of different firmwares

    Moderators...the thread Halten posted needs a ton of work, and i would expect other experts to confirm all the claims...is not representative of the thread i intended... It is so convoluted with wordy unnecessary text and lack of organization that noobs or champs would skip right over it. (i would at least)

    I want to hear back from mods before i put anymore time into this. Thanks

  12. #11
    Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 351 Times in 199 Posts

    Lol!
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

    Click here to follow me on twitter

  13. #12
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hialeah, Florida, USA
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 87 Times in 74 Posts

    I'll compare the OS's... But why? It doesn't matter what OS you're on the jailbreak isn't affected... This is pointless (at least for me) if your talking about comparing different OS's features then you're in the wrong forum. Go to Apple forums if you want those comparisons. And stop criticizing my work, I put a lot of work into it, and if you're
    Not satisfied, please go start your own thread and fill it with YOUR information. Please don't talk negative about my thread, either support it, praise it, or make your own. Thank you.

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    I'll compare the OS's... But why? It doesn't matter what OS you're on the jailbreak isn't affected... This is pointless (at least for me) if your talking about comparing different OS's features then you're in the wrong forum. Go to Apple forums if you want those comparisons.
    It does matter...for someone new to jailbreaking...if they are on 3.1.2, they'll want to know if its best to stay on 3.1.2, or go to 3.1.3, or if its safe to go to 4.0...or if it matters...which is does, because not everything i've found works properly on each firmware version. This thread should be "so easy a caveman can do it"...and answer answer dumb questions a noob will have


    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    And stop criticizing my work, I put a lot of work into it, and if you're Not satisfied, please go start your own thread and fill it with YOUR information. Please don't talk negative about my thread, either support it, praise it, or make your own. Thank you.
    you only put a lot of work into it because you did it on your iphone instead of a real computer...and you even said you just copied and pasted data into it...thats not work...well maybe if you are copying and pasting using that tiny touch screen.

    and if you're going to post on MY thread, claiming you did what I was recommending, you better darn well be willing to accept constructive criticism, especially when your work deserves the criticism... not to mention i didn't bash it on YOUR thread, i advised what it needs to be to meet the requirements of MY recommendation on MY thread

  15. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hialeah, Florida, USA
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 87 Times in 74 Posts

    1) I only copied and pasted about ZiPhone. Everything else was all me, learn to read
    2) You wanted a favor, we're doing it. Don't criticize it, we're not doing this for you, but for the whole community. I already got PM's saying the thread was very helpful. One person doesn't change that
    3) Again, not copy/paste, I worked except for an outdated tool.
    4) Comparing OS's is pointless, I'm only talking about iOS4.
    5) Don't make me get a mod to close this thread and delete it.
    6) I'm leaving this thread and keep posting, I won't respond

    Don't say "Noobs" and "have dumb questions" they're just as big a part of the community as anyone else. Please refer to "New Members" and "Questions"
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-15 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #15
    Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 351 Times in 199 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    1) I only copied and pasted about ZiPhone. Everything else was all me, learn to read
    2) You wanted a favor, we're doing it. Don't criticize it, we're not doing this for you, but for the whole community. I already got PM's saying the thread was very helpful. One person doesn't change that
    3) Again, not copy/paste, I worked except for an outdated tool.
    4) Comparing OS's is pointless, I'm only talking about iOS4.
    5) Don't make me get a mod to close this thread and delete it.
    6) I'm leaving this thread and keep posting, I won't respond
    Don't make me get a mod to close this thread and delete it.

    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH EPIC!...lol
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

    Click here to follow me on twitter

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    1)
    4) Comparing OS's is pointless, I'm only talking about iOS4.
    I'm running 3.1.2 because a 3G can't handle 4.0 well...so your post is not for the entire community


    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    5) Don't make me get a mod to close this thread and delete it.
    I have already requested all your comments be removed


    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    Don't say "Noobs" and "have dumb questions" they're just as big a part of the community as anyone else. Please refer to "New Members" and "Questions"
    I'm a noob, and I have dumb questions...don't be so sensitive...

  18. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 116 Times in 113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    5) Don't make me get a mod to close this thread and delete it.
    hahaha how old are you?
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

  19. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hialeah, Florida, USA
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 87 Times in 74 Posts

    Okay I'm trying to help the community and you're making a big issue out of it. If you stay at 3.1.2 then good luck staying there since we're moving on. iOS4 doesn't run well? It runs perfect in my 3G iPhone, don't enable wallpapers and multitasking or battery percentage. If it's slow because of that, that's your fault.

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    Okay I'm trying to help the community and you're making a big issue out of it. If you stay at 3.1.2 then good luck staying there since we're moving on. iOS4 doesn't run well? It runs perfect in my 3G iPhone, don't enable wallpapers and multitasking or battery percentage. If it's slow because of that, that's your fault.
    I've read many threads, stating there is no point in going to 4.0 with a 3G... or that plenty of people have had issues and its not worth the time..

    why don't you stick to your promises and stop posting on this thread:


    Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    6) I'm leaving this thread and keep posting, I won't respond

  21. #20
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hialeah, Florida, USA
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 87 Times in 74 Posts

    You do what you want, whenever you want. This is not your thread, it can easily be shut down by someone else. Don't boss people around, especially people who have more posts than you, and good quality posts. Your new, respect those above you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •