Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How long will Apple sign your firmware?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Default How long will Apple sign your firmware?
    I'm going to open another 'can of worms' and suggest more Apple lawsuits are on the horizon. Please don't judge me yet --- read 1st.

Senario:

You're a current 3GS owner. Purchased new with AT&T contract. You're a true-blue 100% Apple/AT&T loyal customer.

Now fast forward 3-5 years. You still have your trusty 3GS. Warranty has long expired (including AppleCare) and you're still with AT&T.

Then .... as will happen with everything ..... Apple stops supporting your wonderful 3GS. No more FW updates, new features aren't available, new apps won't work, even older apps are disappearing. It will happen, just like the 2G. You think, no problem. Was going happen sooner or later. You're still happy because everything is working

BUT ---- This is the real Can Of Worms ..............

Awhile later your trusty 3GS stops working. Thank goodness for iTunes and a backup . But then you realize oh darn, my 3GS still needs a 'authorization' from Apple (SHSH blob) to restore and Apple no longer supports your 3GS .

Maybe Apple continues to sign your 'last authorized' firmware, but maybe not! If they do, what about the next day, or the next year? More importantly, for how long?

Do you really want to take this chance? Is you 3-5 year old 3GS worth the trouble? Do you even care? With today's rush-to-the-latest mentality --- most probably don't care .

Should you care. Yes! Your 3-5 year old 3GS still has value. It still works. Your son/daughter/mother/father/etc would be very happy to get it. Maybe they could never afford a new one. There are also some that believe 'If it's not broken, don't fix it'. But wait ... value exists only if Apple continues to sign firmware.

For me, I worry. .... Way too many " if's " exist. We're putting way too must trust in Apple. Apple proves almost every day they can and will change on a dime -- and usually not for our benefit. Have you ever read anywhere how long Apple promises to sign your firmware?

Obviously, this is not an issue today. Most are way too busy to worry about tomorrow, much less next year or the year after. This too-busy-to-care mentality plays perfectly into Apples hands. By the time we realize it's a problem, it's too late!

The real solution? Apple should end their way-too-restrictive-big-brother signing policy and let the phone live or die on it's own.

End of speech. End of story. Time to blast-away

Don't worry. They'll tell you that you have to bring it to the "Genius" Bar so that they can charge you $179 to reinstall the latest signed firmware.

My guess is that the latest firmware that is supported by your phone will remain signed by Apple. If your 3GS is running the final supported firmware like iOS 5.0, then you will continue to have the ability to restore to that version. Apple will continue to sign it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think there will be other technological advances that will hinder older models unusable before Apple will stop signing firmware. Also technology is getting more and more affordable meaning keeping 5 year outdated phones will be pointless when you could purchase a new one for under $100.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    I think there will be other technological advances that will hinder older models unusable before Apple will stop signing firmware. Also technology is getting more and more affordable meaning keeping 5 year outdated phones will be pointless when you could purchase a new one for under $100.
    Hah! My mom's still using her RAZR from when it first came out. If it ain't broke, don't replace it.