Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help with iphone 3gs stuck dfu mode

Default Need help with iphone 3gs stuck dfu mode
    Hello,

First of all I am new to this stuff, so dont know much.

I got my hands on an iphone 3gs 16gb, locked, i used blackrain to jailbreak it (os 3.12), it worked fine in the second attempt and installed cydia, unlocked it and installed some apps, after which, i dont remember exactly which app, it asked to reboot, i rebooted and it got stuck, used blackrain, nothing worked and its stuck in dfu mode since.

Any suggestions or help?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What did you use to unlock? blacksn0w or ultrasn0w?
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Sorry for the late reply,

i used blackra1n app.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I assume you mean blacksn0w which comes with the blackra1n app. This is the problem with your phone, as blacksn0w is known to cause problems.

Your phone isn't stuck in DFU. What's wrong, is that booting fails because of blacksn0w.

After the jailbreak, could you boot the phone fine without running blackra1n or did you need to run it every time you turned off the phone (what is known as untethered/tethered jailbreak)?

Yes i needed the blackra1n to boot it up, i only rebooted twice after jailbreak, the third time was when it asked itself to reboot. Iphone wasnt able to boot itself.

Except that everyhting seemed to be ok.

I didnt know about blacksn0w caused problems.

So what do you suggest.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well, there's a long thread about fixing the boot loop problems that blacksn0w causes but none of them are guaranteed to work. What I've seen most success with is people having the phone run over night (while connected to the computer and blackra1n open) where the phone will continuously try to boot. You might have to search for the instructions on what to do because I don't remember the exact way.

If that doesn't work, you'll unfortunately have to restore. As Apple is only signing the current firmware, you can only restore to 4.0 which isn't jailbreakable yet.

Since you're on 3.1.2, you could try the new method by the ih8sn0w dev team. Using that, you should be able to go to a jailbroken 4.0 firmware. Your jailbreak would still be tethered, but at least it'd be working. Again, I haven't used this method myself so you'll have to search around for it. The tool you use for that is called sn0wbreeze and you can find it on this site: iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

Just a note: if you do get it jailbroken again, use ultrasn0w to unlock instead of blacksn0w.