Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: can you tell if an iphone has ever been jailbroken/unlocked?

Default can you tell if an iphone has ever been jailbroken/unlocked?
    Hello, I just purchased a 'brand new' 3GS on ebay and am inquiring if there is anyway to find out if it has ever been jailbroken and unlocked. It has been reset and currently is on os 4.0.

Reason I am asking is because the phone was purchased 8 months ago, in Dec '09, so why would someone buy it and never use it? Checked with Apple and they advised it was never registered in their system and AT&T stated it was never activated with them. So would assume if it was ever used, would have been jailbroken/unlocked and used on Tmobile, so just checking if there is anyway I can find this out.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi.
    Not really, you just never know, not that it would make a difference. I wouldn't be concerned really, as long as your happy.

Thanks

if you bought a 3GS off eBay and it has iOS 4 on it then it's been used, I would imagine the only new 3GS' with iOS 4 are the 8gig models that came out with the iPhone 4, you can use tinyumbrella to check if any shsh's are saved on cydia and restore to an older firmware if there are any saved and jailbreak that, if there aren't any then you will have to wait until the next jailbreak is released
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-13 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks for replies.

I checked tiny umbrella and don't see any older firmware saved but I'm OK with waiting for the jailbreak on 4.01 software. Its just that the phone has quite a few small/light scratches all over bezel and on the apple logo on back to really be 'brand new' - but not enough where it could definitely be used since the chrome seems to easily scratch. So was hoping I could have found out the answer this way.