Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Selling 3G, JB and unlock questions

Default Selling 3G, JB and unlock questions
    Well my iphone4 finally arrived, so now I want to prep my old 3g for sale. I'd like to have it jailbroken and unlocked before I list it for sale. It's currently running jailbroken 3.1. (yes, I'm a bit outdated here) I plan to update it to jailbroken ios4 with pwnage tool and want to unlock it as well so whomever buys it has their options open as far as carrier. I'm stuck upgrading to ios4 because I didn't keep up with jailbreaking and therefore didn't know to back up my shsh blobs. Anyway, I just want to verify some things I'm a little fuzzy on because as I have some experience with jailbreaking, but I'm far from an expert.

1. I'm going to need to perform the new jailbreak and unlock before I activate my new iphone right? Reason being, once the new iphone is activated, the old sim will be shut off and I won't be able to access it for jailbreaking, correct? Or would being already jailbroken allow me to perform the updated jailbreak and unlock even after the sim is deactivated? Or is it as simple as getting a sim adapter to fit the new Iphone4 sim into the 3g long enough to jailbreak and unlock?

2. When I run pwnage tool should I answer "yes or no" when it asks “Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?”. Since the sim is going to be deactivated right after I perform this, whats the correct answer here? Keep in mind I'm trying to leave the new owner with options. I'm assuming "no" leaves the option open to use other carriers. Would choosing "no" here prevent the phone from working legitimately on ATT if thats what the new owner decides to use? Or does this question no longer appear. I've seen it mentioned in some tutorials and not in other tutorials. This is not the normal checkbox for "activate the phone", though that is my next question.

3. Should I check or uncheck "Activate the phone" in pwnage tools? I know if you're on ATT should should have this unchecked, but since I don't know what carrier the buyer will go with, should I leave this checked? Would leaving it checked prevent it from being activated on ATT if that's the carrier the buyer chooses?

4. Lastly, god forbid, if i'm unhappy with the new phone and have to go back to the old phone, would anything I've done here cause me any problems with doing so?

If anyone has input on what my procedure should be here, or other things I need to watch out for,I'd greatly appreciated. I just want to get the most I can for the phone by providing as many options/advantages I can to the prospective new owner. I want to get to using the new phone as soon as I can, but I want to make sure I don't kill my ability to update, JB, and unlock the old phone before activating the new phone. Thanks in advance guys.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Even after you activate your iPhone 4 your old sim will still be able to activate the 3g. Answer yes when it asks about activating legitimately since you have a sim to activate it with. Check to activate the phone. Once you unlock it they can use any carrier. You will still be able to use the 3g if you want.

I'd follow this guide if I were you, I've done it on my sisters phone and my friends phone with no problems.

How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows

Something that will be up to you. When jailbreaking it you have the option to enable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper. Many people including myself have noticed it slows down the iPhone A LOT. On my sisters 3g I unchecked them, but on my friends 3g which he sold I left them activated. Up to you what to do on that one.
    Last edited by ianbroste; 2010-07-13 at 01:16 AM.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Thanks

all you have to do is get an activated 4.0 pwnagetool ipsw and once you are restored use ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock, a 3G doesn't require shsh blobs, only the 3GS and the iPhone 4 (as far as phones) require them

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    Even after you activate your iPhone 4 your old sim will still be able to activate the 3g. Answer yes when it asks about activating legitimately since you have a sim to activate it with. Check to activate the phone. Once you unlock it they can use any carrier. You will still be able to use the 3g if you want.

I'd follow this guide if I were you, I've done it on my sisters phone and my friends phone with no problems.

How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows

Something that will be up to you. When jailbreaking it you have the option to enable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper. Many people including myself have noticed it slows down the iPhone A LOT. On my sisters 3g I unchecked them, but on my friends 3g which he sold I left them activated. Up to you what to do on that one.
    Once the new phone is activated, the old phone will go to the "connect to Itunes" screen right? When that happens, I assume I'll still be able to go into recovery mode to load the new firmware. Is that correct?

I've always used pwnage tool in the past for jailbreaking, is that sort of falling by the way side? I didn't see any options in the screenshots of pwnage tool 4.01 for enabling/disabling multitasking and homescreen wallpaper in pwnage tool, would I be better off using redsnow or something else?

Is redsnow referencing the ability to turn off multitasking in ios4(which the 3g doesn't get anyway) or is that option meant to add unofficial multitasking support to the 3g? Just wondering if pwnage tool not having that option is going to hurt me. I'm comfortable with pwange tool, but if this is an option pwnage tool doesn't offer that would benefit me on the 3g, I'd rather use a different tool.

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    all you have to do is get an activated 4.0 pwnagetool ipsw and once you are restored use ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock, a 3G doesn't require shsh blobs, only the 3GS and the iPhone 4 (as far as phones) require them
    Oh ok, I thought it applied to all iphones. So I could update to 3.1.3 instead and avoid the whole 4.0 debacle since the 3g iphones are having such a mixed bag with it? I'd probably just go that route if I can.

Thank you both so much for your input. I realize for the experienced these are simple questions and I've been trying to search to find the answers, but I've been having a hard time finding similar situations. A few threads I found with similar situations were either never answered or not answered definitively. I really should have kept up with the jailbreaking scene. I'm now trying to play catch-up and am a bit overwhelmed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I've only used redsn0w for 4.0 so I was just talking from personal experience. Either pwnagetool or redsn0w will work fine for you I'm sure. You will probably get more from the average joe if your phone is on 4.0 the "latest and greatest" instead of 3.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    I've only used redsn0w for 4.0 so I was just talking from personal experience. Either pwnagetool or redsn0w will work fine for you I'm sure. You will probably get more from the average joe if your phone is on 4.0 the "latest and greatest" instead of 3.1.3
    Thanks again for your input. That's what I was thinking originally, that 4.0 would be my best bet since it's the latest and greatest, but there have been some reports of poor performance on the 3g, so now I'm not so sure. Decisions decisions.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'd do 4.0 and just disable homescreen backgrounds and multitasking.