Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP!! lol thats what everyone says

Default HELP!! lol thats what everyone says
    Hey guys... I upgraded my 3g on 3.1.2 to 4.0 the other day and used redsnow to jailbreak it. Everything went smoothly and i was surprised to see the jailbreak let you enable multitasking for the 3g!

Well my phone slowed down alot and I see why they didnt want 3g users to have it. I re-redsnow thinking that i could uncheck the multitasking tab and re jailbreak it. It didnt work so i restored and jailbroke it without multitasking checked.

Redsnow wont let me jailbreak it though, it just gets me to put it in DFU mode and it acts like its going through but it sticks at waiting for reboot and my computer pops up a message saying that a device has malfunctioned and it does not recognize my usb device

Ive redownloaded my IPSW files and redsnow and tried but still no luck!

Please HELP!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm kind of confused on your post, you say "It didnt work so i restored and jailbroke it without multitasking checked. Redsnow wont let me jailbreak it though"

Try just restoring the phone to stock iOS 4 first and then try jailbreak it with redsn0w.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Thats what i meant...I can restore to 4.0 no problem. But when i go to jailbreak it with redsnow it just hangs at the "waiting for reboot" and an error pops up on my computer task bar (little bar on the bottom right corner) and says that my usb device has malfunctioned and cannot be read. ive been battleing it all day lol

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

The trick with redsnow is when you are putting the phone into dfu mode don't let go of the home button until the jailbreaking screen shows up on your phone.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

i held it down for 3 minutes lol....but even if i put it in recovery mode or DFU mode it does the same thing...that error that says your usb device has malfunctioned and windows cannot recognize it. im trying right now to downgrade it to 3.1.3. its like a nightmare everytime a new os comes out

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well that might be part of your problem. You arent supposed to hold down anything for longer than 30 seconds.

no i held it down for 3 minutes after this other guy told me to hold the button down until the jailbreak screen pops up...it never popped up

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have another computer I would try doing it from there to see if the issue follows. If so you may have a problem with your phone or data cable. Also try restoring the phone to new again.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    If you have another computer I would try doing it from there to see if the issue follows. If so you may have a problem with your phone or data cable. Also try restoring the phone to new again.
    Yep. You have to restore back to stock iOS 4 before you can redo redsn0w to disable multitasking. Although, since you have a 3G, the stock firmware wouldn't include it anyway.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ch_tothe_ase View Post
    no i held it down for 3 minutes after this other guy told me to hold the button down until the jailbreak screen pops up...it never popped up
    lol you're going to trust "other guy" over the directions it tells you to do while you are doing the jailbreak?

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    lol you're going to trust "other guy" over the directions it tells you to do while you are doing the jailbreak?
    no dude...i did it both ways...i followed the instructions from redsnow perfectly...didnt work. i tried what the "other guy" said to hold it down until the jailbreak screen pops up...didnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    Yep. You have to restore back to stock iOS 4 before you can redo redsn0w to disable multitasking. Although, since you have a 3G, the stock firmware wouldn't include it anyway.
    yeah well it let me enable multitask on the 3g and it worked..it just slowed my phone down like crazy
    Last edited by ch_tothe_ase; 2010-07-13 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost