Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick Questions Requiring Quick Answers

Default Quick Questions Requiring Quick Answers
    I have an officially unlocked 3GS iphone on T-mobile in the UK. I am currently on 3.1.3 firmware. I am considering upgrading to iOS4 but am worried i will lose my carrier unlock (i paid 15 to get this unlocked from O2).

Can i upgrade my iPhone to iOS4 safely?

Also i was wondering is it possible to simply jailbreak the iphone without loosing the carrier unlock and if so what would be required by me in order to keep using the phone - for instance must i never update again, have to run software each time i connect the phone to my macbook, etc?

Thanks in advanced...

Laura

If you have an "official" unlock, then it won't matter what firmware you're running. Your phone stays unlocked permanently. By "official", I'm assuming you got an unlock code that's linked with the IMEI of your phone from O2. If your unlock is done by software such as ultrasn0w, then it's not an official unlock, and you will lose it if you upgrade to iOS4.

There is no current easy method to JB a 3GS. All of the JBs require youto fulfill a set of criteria first. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, don't update, then you need to do some more reading.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can jailbreak your phone on 3.1.3 with no problems using Spirit. I'm assuming you've never jailbroke the phone before in which case you don't have your shsh blobs on file through cydia so you won't be able to jailbreak if you update to iOS 4. As far as the unlock goes with updating it won't lock again. Once your phone is unlocked officially your iTunes account recognizes it and so it remains unlocked.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    You can jailbreak your phone on 3.1.3 with no problems using Spirit. I'm assuming you've never jailbroke the phone before in which case you don't have your shsh blobs on file through cydia so you won't be able to jailbreak if you update to iOS 4. As far as the unlock goes with updating it won't lock again. Once your phone is unlocked officially your iTunes account recognizes it and so it remains unlocked.
    Thanks for your addition. I automatically assumed that the OP wanted to JB iOS 4.0, since most questions are geared towards that recently.

Thanks

I glad you got his answers to him quickly. I would hate to see what happened if you didn't......

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    Thanks for your addition. I automatically assumed that the OP wanted to JB iOS 4.0, since most questions are geared towards that recently.
    Figured I'd throw it in there since I'm guessing shes probably sol on jailbreaking iOS 4.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    I glad you got his answers to him quickly. I would hate to see what happened if you didn't......
    Answers to /her/. Lol

Well thanks guys for all your help... i have infact updated to iOS4 and am a little dissappointed with a few things, such the inability to change alerts, view flash, sync via bluetooth and be able to create power profiles (such as the SBS app? that you can get on jailbroken iphones).

I wish i'd read Ian's post earlier as i would have been happy to stay on 3.1.3 and have a jailbroken iphone, but it's too late now... that may be a good thing as i dont know what a blob? is?

Oh dear guess i have to play ball with Apple until iOS5!

thanks anyway