Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backup iPhone 3GS -everything-

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Backup iPhone 3GS -everything-
    After much work and angst, I have my 3GS 32GB JB (sn0wbreeze) and unlocked(ultrasn0w) and running perfectly on ios4.0. Now, I wonder is there software that can backup the entire thing (firmware, Apple Apps, Cydia apps, etc) so that a restore can run without having to reflash firmware and basically starting over from scratch? I have read a bit about Pkgbackup, but it seems you still have to during a restore run the restore through iTunes and that always seems to have the possibility of failure (errors such as 1604, 1600, etc) and boot loops and bricking the thing. I guess I am looking for a program running on Windows that does a complete backup of the iPhone like a mirror. I would be willing to pay ~$100.00 USD for this type of program and I am sure others would also for this type of foolproof restore peace of mind. Is there anything out there like this?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Use rsync. U need rsync on the iPhone (free via Cydia) and a Windows rsync server (also freeware - Google search).

The setup is a bit complex but a full backup is possible.

The downside? U will never be be able to use this for a complete restore. Windows does not know how to save Unix-style file & directory permissions, attributes, and links.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-07-11 at 08:02 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

RRDave (2010-07-12)