Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade to IOS4 - need to jailbreak?

Default Upgrade to IOS4 - need to jailbreak?
    Hi all,

Newbie question here: I have a iPhone 3GS, bought on ebay, locked to AT&T, jailbroken so I can use on Vodafone Ireland. I'm thinking of upgrading to IOS4, will I need to jailbreak my phone again after I upgrade so that I can keep using the phone on my network?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Patato22's Avatar
    Thanks

1. you need to said what bootrom you have. if you have the new bootrom you can't jailbroken 4.0 iight now.
    2. if you have the old bootrom you need to jailbroken before upgrade to 4.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What you are talking about here is an unlock not a jailbreak. I wouldn't upgrade to ios4 if you have a new bootrom device as there isn't a jailbreak or unlock for the new baseband or firmware meaning you will not be able to use your vodafone sim card in the AT&T network locked device

OP is clearly asking for an upgrade to iOS4 and also unlocking.

UltraSnow is able to unlock every baseband out right now so you're in the clear but iirc you need to be able to get it off of cydia so you will need to be jailbroken as well.

Like Patato said, you need to have an old bootrom 3GS or else you won't be able to upgrade.

Now you wouldn't upgrade then jailbreak. You will actually need to create a custom ipsw with the jailbreak already installed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonymc19 View Post
    What you are talking about here is an unlock not a jailbreak. I wouldn't upgrade to ios4 if you have a new bootrom device as there isn't a jailbreak or unlock for the new baseband or firmware meaning you will not be able to use your vodafone sim card in the AT&T network locked device
    You have to jailbreak to unlock....