Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod touch MC models and iPhone 3g[s] NEW bootrom iOS4 jailbreak

Default iPod touch MC models and iPhone 3g[s] NEW bootrom iOS4 jailbreak
    As promised, here is how to jailbreak iOS4 on all new bootrom devices except for the iPhone 4. Please note ih8sn0w created this method and I am merely explaining it more simply. Also, this is a teathered jailbreak.

*Click on the images to make them larger*

Things you need:

-Windows XP/Vista/7

-The ability to restore to 3.1.2 (a.k.a you need your SHSH blobs on 3g[s] and 32/64 GB iPod touch 3g -- I will not be covering how to restore to 3.1.2 on here -- you need to find that info elsewhere) OR are currently on 3.1.2; broken boot blackra1n devices should work

-iTunes 9.2 installed
    -7-zip installed
    -libusb-win32 installed
    -Payload Pwner
    -iBooty Updated to 1.6 and is 64-bit compatable!
    -Sn0wbreeze 1.7
    -Firmware for 3.1.2 and 4.0 for your device -- can be downloaded from here

Once you downloaded everything, you're ready to begin!

1. Extract iBooty to its own folder (ex. C:Users\yourusername\Desktop\iBooty).

2. Extract Payload Pwner to its own folder (ex. C:Users\yourusername\Desktop\Payload Pwner)

*You should now have 5 files: a folder containing Payload Pwner, a folder containing iBooty, your 3.1.2 firmware bundle, your 4.0 firmware bundle, and sn0wbreeze 1.7*

3. Fire up sn0wbreeze and accept the agreement, then click the blue arrow to continue.

4. Click expert mode and click the blue arrow to continue.

5. Click the browse button on the next screen and navigate to your 4.0 firmware. Click open and wait for it to be processed.

6. It will say it is not compatible with new bootrom devices. Ignore it. The device does not need to be jailbroken.

7. Click General and click the blue arrow to continue

8. This part is important: check off Disable NOR-Flash. You will get a warning -- just hit yes

9. You may now select if you want to enable multitasking, battery percentage on status bar, and Homescreen backgrounds. Please note that homescreen backgrounds slow down your device, but not that bad. DO NOT select Make IPSW NOR-Only. You can leave the root partition at default and continue.

10. Select what installers you want. Both are 4.0 compatible. I only use Cydia, but I noticed it is a little buggy. Click the blue arrow to continue

11. Deselect Custom Boot and Recovery logo. They will not work on new bootrom devices. Click next to continue.

11.5 If you have an iPhone, the next screen to appear will be Unlocks. ALL firmwares can be unlocked with ultrasn0w in Cydia and I am guessing here also. Select any unlocks and click continue.

12. It will now prompt you for installation of other packages. I HIGHLY recommend that you do not install anything from here since it will not install the dependencies the packages rely on, leaving your device unstable or unusable when you finally restore. So, just skip this and hit next to continue.

13. You will now be brought back to the "what to do" screen. Click "Build IPSW" and click the blue arrow to continue.

13.5 Now wait for it to build... the developers have kindly placed a spinning wheel to amuse you.

14. When completed, you should get the following screen. You may now close sn0wbreeze. The custom firmware bundle should be on your desktop!

*You should now have 6 files... the 5 named before plus the new custom firmware*

Now it's time to use major hxxr skillz. As a refrence, here is what the iBooty folder should look like:

15. Fire up Payload Pwner. Select your device and if you have an 8GB iPod touch 3G, select iPod touch 2G.

16. When prompted, select your 3.1.2 IPSW for your device. This may take a while.

17. After a short time, a save to box will pop up. Save the file to your iBooty folder and click OK.

18. You will now receive a message saying it is done. You may now close Payload Pwner. It says to move the payload to the iBooty folder, but we already saved it there

Your iBooty folder should now look like this:

19. Right-click on your custon IPSW you made with sn0wbreeze, point to 7-zip, and click Open Archive. Also, open the iBooty folder.

20. Copy the file named kernelcache.release.n72 or something similar from 7zip to your iBooty folder.

21. Rename kernelcache.release.n72 in the iBooty folder to kernel.40

22. Navigate to Firmware\dfu in 7zip and copy the file named iBEC.n72ap.RELEASE.dfu or something similar to your iBooty folder.

23. Rename iBEC.n72ap.RELEASE.dfu to ibec.40

24. Navigate to /Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n72ap.production or a similar directory in 7zip and copy DeviceTree.n72ap or a similarly named file to the iBooty folder.

*You may now close 7zip*

25. Rename DeviceTree.n72ap or the similarly named file in the iBooty folder to devtree.40

Your iBooty folder is in its final state and should look like this:

Phew! The hard part it over! Now let's put it all on the device!

Your device must be on 3.1.2 firmware for the following steps. It will not work on 3.1.3 or stock 4.0. I will not cover how to restore to 3.1.2. Also, devices in blackra1n boot loops will work with this method

26. Plug your device in and put it in Recovery mode (the one with the USB cable being plugged into iTunes). DO NOT use DFU mode.

27. Open iBooty in the iBooty folder and select "Prepare my device for Custom Firmware, then click the big button to prepare for the firmware.

If all goes well, an image should appear on your iDevice that says it is waiting for custom firmware! Congrats! You made it over the biggest hurtle!

28. Open up iTunes and Shift+Click on restore. Navigate to your custom IPSW and click open. Your device should then restore.

29. If all goes well, iTunes should say "Your device has been restored to factory settings". Then, wait... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It's in recovery mode! Remember, it's a tethered jailbreak. So, open up iBooty, click Boot it!, and click booty callz. Unlike blackra1n, this takes about a minute before it says "done" and you can unplug your device.

Once booted, you should be on a fully functional and jailbroken iOS4! Be sure to keep your iBooty folder since you need it to boot your device. Please note some jailbroken apps might nor be compatable with iOS4, please look at the official list here.

Enjoy your jailbreak! If I helped, be sure to click thanks!
    Last edited by nerddownthestreet; 2010-07-19 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Updated iBooty link -- fixes 64 bit problems
    question = (to) ? be : !be;

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nerddownthestreet For This Useful Post:

Crosseyes (2010-07-16), ipod_guy (2010-07-19), Sky_King (2010-07-16), Trooper Sam (2010-07-16), Will01 (2010-07-16)

Good write up. I couldn't find a write up but after step 14 ( I think) I just restored with iTunes and *poof* ios4.

Hope more ppl on 3GS will look at this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I think all of the steps following 14 are intended to build a proper iBooty folder for reboots.

Looks like this method works well! Thanks to nerddownthestreet for the clear explanation.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Clicking on this topic with teary eyes thinking its finally here, but once you mentioned 3.1.2 SHSH it killed the moment. My 3Gs came with 3.1.3 pre-loaded.

I tried this on my ipod touch 2g mc model but when i run ibooty v1.5 on my Windows 7 64 bit it says "this program has stopped working." How can i address this?

Thanks.

Thanks

I can only suggest trying to run it in a system with a 32 bit OS. I don't know enough about the 64 bit OS to suggest a fix.

Actually, I tried on another Windows 7 64 bit PC and it worked fine. This is a great tutorial.

Thanks

Excellent! I'm gonna try this as soon as I can kick my iPod down to 3.1.2 from 3.1.3 (TinyUmbrella is being difficult ) This should definitely be frontpaged, there are a lot of people in the dark for 4.0 right now.

Thanks

I read this last week, and while I was intrigued to try it, the fact that NOBODY replied in the thread to say how it worked failed to give me a warm fuzzy.

Today, with all of the hoopla about 4.0.1 coming out and the cry to "save your blobs!", I decided to school myself in a hurry on how to downgrade after an upgrade.

So, after some fast self training, I decided that I could risk trying this jailbreak method, as I was reasonably assured I could downgrade after the fact if it all went south. Followed the instructions to the letter, and damned if it didn't all work exactly as it said it would.

Special note to all whom might try this: don't be impatient. Wait until the final reboot is fully done, and iTunes activates your phone. I was too quick, disconnected my iPhone from the USB cable, and it failed to activate. I ended up having to downgrade back to 3.1.2 and try again.

Also, I recommend, but won't absolutely say that this is a fact, that you should probably not select the "activate phone" option when you're setting up the IPSW build in sn0wbreeze. This may or may not have had an effect on my non-activating iPhone. I decided that since I was doing it over anyway, just do a new build on the IPSW.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

All that for a TETHERED jailbreak, that's dedication for you.

Thanks

You do what you gotta do.

Default ipod touch 8gb MC model
    it worked nice on my ipod touch 8gb mc model

Quick update: iBooty 1.6 was released a few days ago -- it fixes 64-bit problems! The original post was edited and contains the new link.

EDIT: you do need to rebuild your iBooty folder -- just extract the files from the 7z exe to your old iBooty folder and click replace when prompted
    Last edited by nerddownthestreet; 2010-07-19 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Clariification

i have problem with step 29. i've restored my ipod with custom ipsw, itunes said "Your device has been restored to factory settings" but ipod didn't open!!! it has black screen

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What happens when you plug it in to the mains and let it sit for about 10 mins?

Quote Originally Posted by random_word View Post
    i have problem with step 29. i've restored my ipod with custom ipsw, itunes said "Your device has been restored to factory settings" but ipod didn't open!!! it has black screen
    It could be in DFU mode for some reason. Try the previous post first, but then try holding down the power and home buttons for 30 seconds. That should bring up the recovery screen. Then run iBooty and click "Boot it!"

Default no payload file
    Hey, I've done all the steps exactly as shown and I'm not getting a .PAYLOAD file? What am I doing wrong?

Default FOR 2G MC model with original frimware 3.1.3
    Because i can't downgrade to ios 3.1.2 even i have save shsh from tinyumbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by p2bc14 View Post
    Hey, I've done all the steps exactly as shown and I'm not getting a .PAYLOAD file? What am I doing wrong?
    I heard this from a few people. Make sure you are using the 3.1.2 firmware with Payload Pwner. Also, does Payload Pwner give an error message? It would also help to know what device you have.

Quote Originally Posted by random_word View Post
    i love how im having the same problem on my 3gs cant get it to boot after i update it to a custom fw. been trying to achieve this jailbreak for the past two weeks. just stays on a light up black screen. no bueno ftl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast