Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Countless attempts, cannot restore. Error code 1002. Please help. Need to JB & Unlock

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Countless attempts, cannot restore. Error code 1002. Please help. Need to JB & Unlock
    I have a 1st gen. iPhone (2G) that I'm trying to jailbreak/unlock, but I cannot successfully restore it. I have tried numerous times and after an hour or so, it fails and gives me the 1002 error code. Until I can install a fresh firmare/OS, I cannot jailbreak or unlock the phone.

I've read where you turn the phone off, hold down the home button, then connect the phone to your PC, but I cannot turn the phone off. Even if I wait and let it go into a standby mode, it will not connect by simply holding the home button. I have to press the power button in which it shows the apple log, then the iTunes logo with the USB cord.

I have wasted so much time with this phone and honestly, it's been a couple of months that I've been trying to get this thing restored.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Put it into Recovery mode and attempt the restore again. Google "how to put iPhone in Recovery mode".

Green Apple
    Thanks

When I connect the phone without doing anything to it, iTunes already recognizes the phone in recovery mode.

If it looks off and itunes says that, you're in DFU mode.
    No signature spam

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well I turn the phone off, hold the home button, connect to the PC, it does not recognize the phone. I wait for several seconds holding the home button. How long do I need to wait? Also, when I hold the power button to turn off the phone, it does not give me the slide off button, it just turns the screen off.

Hold the home and the lock both together while the phone is connected to the computer.
    the iphone will turn off.
    after it turns off keep holding both for about 10 sec. then release the lock button and keep holding the home button.

your iphone will look as if it's turned off, but itunes will recognise it as if in recovery mode.
    Now you can release the home button and start working from there.

try youtube.com, heaps of videos to show DFU mode.

Goodluck mate
    You don't have to say it, Just click "Thanks".
    http://twitter.com/Duetschpire

Green Apple
    Thanks

Isn't that the way to put it in DFU mode? I'm not certain, but with your last statement/sentence, that's what it seems you were trying to direct me to. From the post above, it's recovery mode that I want to enter, not DFU mode.

If my phone is in DFU mode, do I have to get out of it before getting into recovery mode?

recovery mode is much easier, hold both home and power button, keep holding them until the phone turns off and turns on again, it will take a while to turn on, so be patience, then when it turns on just release the power button and keep holding the home button until you see the connect to itunes screen.
    when you see this screen, that means you're in recovery mode.
    Google and youtube would be great too...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have done this, hold the power and home button until the screen goes black, then when the Apple logo comes on, I release the power button. I then continue to hold the home button until iTunes recognizes it in recovery mode. I'm still getting error code 1002.

Do I need to disable DFU mode if it's in DFU mode before putting it in recovery mode?

no bro, DFU mode and restore mode are different. you can't be on both at the same time.
    DFU is when the phone is on, screen black, and itunes recognise it as ready for the restore.
    Restore mode is when the iphone is on, showing "connect to itunes logo", and itunes sill can recognise it as ready for restore.
    make sure you're connected to the internet when trying, without the internet itunes won't sing the package!!!
    If you tried both modes and they didn't work while you're connected to the interne, I think you will have to just click restore and let itunes download a fresh copy of the software, but ios 4 will be so slow on iphone 3G.
    Now as you know the difference between DFU and restore, give it another try on both modes while connected to the internet.
    Hint #1: if you're getting the error when the iphone is almost done with the restore (you can see the loading is almost done on the screen) that means the software has been restored, but the iphone is just not booting properly, try ios 3.1.2, and when you get this error, run blackra1n (mobile phone software 3g unlocker at blackrain.com). This will boot your phone and install blackra1n, which will make it so easy to jailbreak by downloading Cydia, and unlocking by downloading blacksn0w.
    Hint #2: again if blackra1n didn't boot the iphone, iReb SHOULD (iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones) this will bypass the error after installing the firmware if the error is just a booting error.

Goodluck this time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok...well I'm going to be as specific as possible.

I assume the phone is in some sort of sleep/standby mode, so I press the power button and the Apple logo appears for a couple of seconds, then the USB cord and iTunes logo. Then iTunes recognizes the phone in Recovery Mode and says it must be restored before this phone can be used with iTunes.

From what you've posted, it seems that my phone is indeed in Recovery mode if that's what iTunes is recognizing it as and how you explained.

Now...when I click ok, then on Restore, the status bar on the phone goes pretty quickly, but when it gets to the end, it stays there for a while. It's a good hour before the error code comes up and the restore fails.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well I dunno what I'm doing wrong, if the phone is just not restorable, etc. I cannot seem to restore it without getting the error code 1002. Again, it seems to be going through the process at a normal pace, then when the status bar gets to the end, it stays there for a good while, then fails.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try using a different USB port or computer. Sometimes iTunes can just be annoying that way

Green Apple
    Thanks

I seriously wanna throw this phone across the room. I tried using a different port but still the same error code.

As of right now, the phone has a black screen. If I press the power button nothing happens. If I hold it for a second or 2, the Apple logo appears for a couple of seconds, then immediately goes to the iTunes logo with the USB cord. When iTunes recognizes the phone, it shows to be in recovery mode. Countless attempts with the same error code.

The status bar goes at a regular pace, but when it gets to the end, it stays there for a while before failing.

Thanks

sounds like you are in a recovery loop, when you restore it gets almost to the end and eventually errors out, try using quickpwn as described in this tutorial to get out of recovery mode http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...-tutorial.html , I have used this method on a 3G, 3GS, and iPhone 4 and it has worked every time

ok gotcha the solution
    when you get the error 1022, that means the phone has been restored properly, and it's in recovery mode.
    Which means you need to kick out from recovery.
    don't freak, your phone is alright, you need to install tiny umbrella, it has a feature in which you can kick the phone out of recovery.
    If I didn't try it myself I wouldn't have known all of that.
    Download tiny umbrella, make sure you download the right version for your OS (mac/windows)
    The Firmware Umbrella
    here's the link for it. All you need to do is connect the phone after you get this error, close itune, run tiny umbrella, tiny umbrella will recognise the iphone in recovery mode and gives you the option to kick out of recovery.
    and you're done :-)
    if you had any problems with tiny umbrella let me know.
    Cheers

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok...so if the phone is actually restoring successfully and it's stuck in recovery mode, I used redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak the phone. All seems well except iTunes will not recognize the phone (yes it's plugged in) and there's a message on the home screen that says Restore Needed (iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes. It has the iTunes logo and USB cord on the home screen as well.

The phone is still useless.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone?

Thanks

If the phone is giving you a restore is needed and it can't make or receive calls and iTunes won't recognize it, then it sounds like a hardware failure. Most likely the cell radio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast