Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GeoHot Jailbreaks the iPhone 4

Thumbs up GeoHot Jailbreaks the iPhone 4
    Geohot, the little genius behind blackra1n and blacksn0w is back at it again. In a blog post he wrote today, Geohot showed us a picture of a jailbroken iPhone 4 running Cydia.

Geohot says that he won’t however release the jailbreak to the public and made it clear that the limera1n jailbreak we talked about before was nothing more than a website with no specific goal.

That's what he said, Read clear:

""Got one of these in the mail today and figured I’d give it a shot.

As far as a release goes, it probably won’t happen from me. limera1n is little more than a raindrop on a website; it was never mentioned by me previous to this post. pwned4life is a complete invention of some blogger in a basement somewhere. When I said pwned for life, I was referring to the original iPhone, 3G, and Touch; which of course are, by the aptly named PwnageTool.

Again, please don’t ask for release dates. Every person that does makes me want to release a little bit less.""

Did you read this last sentence well? I understand Geohot doesn’t want to harassed with questions about a possible release date, which lets us hope he might me willing to release an iPhone 4 jailbreak one day or the other.

If I had a guess, I’d say that Geohot is working on this jailbreak right at this moment and that he will do everything he can to release a jailbreak for the iPhone 4 before the Dev Team or Comex do..

What do you think?

All rights of the post reserved to Sebastian (iPhone Blog)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -geohot-iphone-4-jailbreak.png  
    Last edited by moudy; 2010-07-10 at 01:55 PM.
    You don't have to say it, Just click "Thanks".
    http://twitter.com/Duetschpire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to moudy For This Useful Post:

AMTK62 (2010-07-10)

HAHA hes just a genius,
    'Got one of these in the mail today and figured I’d give it a shot' (quote from Geohot)
    He done the jailbreak within a day
    Much respect to him.

I like how he posts that on his twitter, but says that people shouldn't annoy him about releasing it. As smart as he is, common sense seems to be missing.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I respect the kids talents, but he's starting to remind me of Lebron James. When are we going to see the hour long special about when/if he's going to release a jailbreak?

He's done some great things, and I was a happy blackra1n and sn0w user, but....Saying look, I did it, no you can't have it, and don't ask me about it, serves what purpose?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

He will perfect it and release it.

Thanks
    I just hope when he releases, it will unlock as well..
    Last edited by MkUltra; 2010-07-10 at 05:07 PM.

can't wait for the release

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MkUltra View Post
    I just hope when he releases, it will unlock as well..
    There's already an unlock for every baseband.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a release from this character. I'm new to this whole thing and I find no reason whatsoever to be impressed with Geohot. I don't care that he is smart; he's obviously not smart enough to demonstrate common courtesy. There is absolutely no point in saying "Hey, I did it, but I'm not going to tell you how..." that is just intentionally rude.

Oh well, I guess this proves that being "smart" is not all it's cracked up to be. Again...if he were truely smart and didn't want it released, he'd keep the heck quiet. It's one thing to tinker around under the hood and not tell anyone about your work or what you find. It's another thing to tinker around and broadcast it, only to say that you're not going to release your findings.

In short, Geohot needs to spend less time hacking--and bragging about it--only to keep all of his findings to himself, and more time working on his manners and social skills.
    Last edited by AMTK62; 2010-07-11 at 06:07 AM.

I agree with the dude above me. I was thinking about that this morning. what the heck is the point of saying you've done it & posting it for the world to see, then not release it? It's kind of like rubbing it in our faces.

Just my opinion.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hacker pecking orders.
    Poor demeanor.
    For such things, a Jedi cares not.

I just want to tinker with my new iPod. Yesterday...

YouTube - Interview with 17 Year Old iPhone Hacker - Geohot

something to pass the time...

i like his statement at 3:08 into the video..... we will get it soon i hope...

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    There's already an unlock for every baseband.
    you obviously dont have an iPhone 4...

Completely different unlock needed for the completely different baseband. 01.59.00
    Last edited by jslay; 2010-07-11 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i guess once you know what to look for there is not much to it.

Geohot being only 17 years old is all the explination that is needed. ;-) It is a lot easier to understand now.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone with enough free time to crack the iCode has no life/girlfriend.

He obviously just needs to get laid.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneLine View Post
    I respect the kids talents, but he's starting to remind me of Lebron James. When are we going to see the hour long special about when/if he's going to release a jailbreak?

He's done some great things, and I was a happy blackra1n and sn0w user, but....Saying look, I did it, no you can't have it, and don't ask me about it, serves what purpose?
    Fail... the LeBron special was materialized by money hungry companies like ESPN, NBA, etc. The guy went to a city for a lot less money than he could have made, and people are giving him a hard time for it.

When Ray Bourque left Boston for Colorado, he was heralded a champion before he got his Cup... irony.

Thanks

Already a thread on this