Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g rejailbreak/unlock?

Default 3g rejailbreak/unlock?
    I have a 3g jailbroken/unlocked bb 4.26.08 i want to update to 3.1.3 but unsure of the process. if i do a custom ipsw (shift restore) will i lose my original jailbreak/unlock?
    i just rejailbroke/unlocked my old 2g as a test before i attempted on my 3g... i was using redsnow and it went perfectly.

is there anyone who can explain thoroughly the process of REjailbreaking/unlocking? maybe through AIM? i dont want to destroy my phone. ive read that you will get tons of errors using shift restore too.. so im confused. also im untethered and want to remain that way. any help would be appreciated! TIA

send PM if you can help

Thanks

3G phones will never have a tethered jailbreak, there are tons of tutorials you can you use, all you have to do is use the search function of these forums

you can also try here iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G on OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-10 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

dea30 (2010-07-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dea30 View Post
    I have a 3g jailbroken/unlocked bb 4.26.08 i want to update to 3.1.3 but unsure of the process. if i do a custom ipsw (shift restore) will i lose my original jailbreak/unlock?
    i just rejailbroke/unlocked my old 2g as a test before i attempted on my 3g... i was using redsnow and it went perfectly.

is there anyone who can explain thoroughly the process of REjailbreaking/unlocking? maybe through AIM? i dont want to destroy my phone. ive read that you will get tons of errors using shift restore too.. so im confused. also im untethered and want to remain that way. any help would be appreciated! TIA

send PM if you can help
    When you restore to a custom firmware, it will be jailbroken when the restored is complete, all you need to do is to install Ultrasn0w again to unlock. Don't setup as a new phone, just restore from backup, all your sms and contacts , photos will be synced back to your Iphone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    When you restore to a custom firmware, it will be jailbroken when the restored is complete, all you need to do is to install Ultrasn0w again to unlock. Don't setup as a new phone, just restore from backup, all your sms and contacts , photos will be synced back to your Iphone.
    it is never recommended to restore from the backup of a jailbroken phone, it has been know to cause issues (sometimes but not always) so it is recommended to sync then restore, setup as new, then resync

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

dea30 (2010-07-10)

thank u guys SO much. which program should i use? as youve read i used Redsnow on my 2g and it worked perfectly. i heard snowbreeze is awful and causes alot of errors and can brick a phone.

j3s so i go into itunes (im using 9.1) and hit restore? my only issue is will i have to get an att sim? im using tmobile and have NO access to att sim. what do you recommend for that problem?

Thanks

use redsn0w, you will not need an AT&T sim because redsn0w will hactivate the phone when it jailbreaks it, then use ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock so you can use your t-mobile sim (just remember to disable 3G)

J3s I'm gonna attempt to restore the phone as new then update and run redsno and see how it goes. I'll let ya kno. Have u ever done this on a 3g

Thanks

yes, but I didn't need to unlock because I'm with AT&T

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    it is never recommended to restore from the backup of a jailbroken phone, it has been know to cause issues (sometimes but not always) so it is recommended to sync then restore, setup as new, then resync
    What you say is true, do the backup restore only if you feel the data is extremely important and don't want to lose it. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    What you say is true, do the backup restore only if you feel the data is extremely important and don't want to lose it. Thanks.
    if found it easier to manually pull the files i needed (sms databases, etc.) and then replace them manually once restored and jailbroken