Results 1 to 10 of 10

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone 3GS stucked in recovery mode

  1. #1
    Exclamation iPhone 3GS stucked in recovery mode
    Hi,
    first, I'd like to metion I'm newbie to iPhone so please try to phrase yours replies accordingly.
    I've buyed used iPhone 3GS (not from store). It has 3.1.3 firmware and I think it had been jailbroken (there was icon named "Cydia" in the main menu). After I bought it, I thought it would be good idea to do "reset" (erase all content and settings). After 2 hrs of restoring, I noticed that iPhone is periodacally restarting (every 10 minutes) and after restart showing Apple logo with that "progress circle".
    At that moment I knew something was wrong and I tried restore using iTunes: I held down power and home buttons for 30-40sec, until "Plug-in into iTunes" logo showed. When I connected the phone to the iTunes, it reported that device is in restore mode and firmware restore was needed. After that I clicked restore button, iTunes downloaded 3.1.3 firmware, extraced and then displayed error, that my device is not eligible for firmware restore. Now the phone (after power-up) is in the same restore mode (restarting every 10 minutes) as it was at the beginning after I initiated "erase all content and settings" option.

    My Question: How should I proceed to get the phone running again?

    Thank you for all helpful replies. I would be so much greatful for them.
    Last edited by sealik; 2010-07-09 at 11:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    if whomever you bought the phone from had the shsh's saved in cydia then you can use this to help you restore Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | Windows (pc) or Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | OS X (Mac)

    you can use tinyumbrella to see if they are stored on cydia

  3. #3
    you can use recboot (youll need libusb also to run it) to get the phone out of recovery mode and back to what it was before.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sarunas4 View Post
    you can use recboot (youll need libusb also to run it) to get the phone out of recovery mode and back to what it was before.
    I've tried: I installed libusb (windows xp sp3) run the "exit.bat" batch file, which finished successfully, the phone restarted, but is still in recovery mode (does not boot the iOS).

    Did I do something wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    you can use tinyumbrella to see if they are stored on cydia
    Could you please explain, how to figure out if Signature Hash was stored on Cydia using Umbrella?

    I launched TinyUmbrella v4.00.54 - it informed me, that my phone is in recovery mode, so I clikced "Kick Device out of Recovery", phone then restarted, but is still in recovery mode (not booting iOS) and TinyUmbrella still displays "no device connected".

    When I clicked "Display SHSHs", none are shown. I tried check "advanced" checkbox and fill ECID of my phone, set device to "iPhone3GS 3.1.3" and location to "Cydia" and then click "Display SHSHs", but the list of SHSHs is still empty.
    Last edited by sealik; 2010-07-10 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  5. #5
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sealik View Post
    When I clicked "Display SHSHs", none are shown. I tried check "advanced" checkbox and fill ECID of my phone, set device to "iPhone3GS 3.1.3" and location to "Cydia" and then click "Display SHSHs", but the list of SHSHs is still empty.
    do the above steps but instead of clicking "display shsh's", click "save shsh's" if cydia has them then it will say so in the text box, if not it will say device not eligible for this build (or something like that anyway) in the text box

  6. #6
    After "Save My SHSH" TinyUmbrella displayed "This device is not eligible for the requested build".

    Does that mean, there is no way I could restore iOS 3.1.3 (or earlier) and my only that my only choice is to update iTunes to latest version and restore iOS 4?

    If yes, I need the phone unlocked - is to possible unlock iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0 (or jailbreak it - I'm not quite sure what's the relation between jailbreaking and unlocking) ?

  7. #7
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bremerton, WA
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Similar question as OP. I'm using TinyUmbrella to try to figure out if the person I bought my iPod 3G (32gb) upped SHSH files to Cydia as well. (stuck on 4.0)

    I can now see one selection in the list of Available SHSHs:
    iPod 3G 4.0 (8A2..... (the one I just upped)

    When I view that list, would it show every available SHSH for my device? I presume if that's all it lists, then the previous owner didn't up a 3.1.x blob?

    Does this now mean I can go back to 4.0 in the future if the need arises? I should re-up with each firmware I use?

    On a side note, does saving to a local host with TU essentially do the same thing as saving to Saurik's server? Then you could point your hosts file there... something like that?

    Very green at all this. Searching the forums has helped, but its a mishmash of information... lol

    ty
    Last edited by 0blivious; 2010-07-11 at 02:23 AM.

  8. #8
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sealik View Post

    Does that mean, there is no way I could restore iOS 3.1.3 (or earlier) and my only that my only choice is to update iTunes to latest version and restore iOS 4?

    If yes, I need the phone unlocked - is to possible unlock iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0 (or jailbreak it - I'm not quite sure what's the relation between jailbreaking and unlocking) ?
    unfortunately that means you will not be able to restore to anything other than iOS 4, as far as an unlock, you have to be jailbroken to unlock unless you have a factory unlocked phone

    Quote Originally Posted by 0blivious View Post
    Similar question as OP. I'm using TinyUmbrella to try to figure out if the person I bought my iPod 3G (32gb) upped SHSH files to Cydia as well. (stuck on 4.0)

    I can now see one selection in the list of Available SHSHs:
    iPod 3G 4.0 (8A2..... (the one I just upped)

    When I view that list, would it show every available SHSH for my device? I presume if that's all it lists, then the previous owner didn't up a 3.1.x blob?

    Does this now mean I can go back to 4.0 in the future if the need arises? I should re-up with each firmware I use?

    On a side note, does saving to a local host with TU essentially do the same thing as saving to Saurik's server? Then you could point your hosts file there... something like that?

    Very green at all this. Searching the forums has helped, but its a mishmash of information... lol

    ty
    you have to use the advanced tab and change the device to the different firmwares and try to save them starting with 3.1.3 and working backwards, if you get the "device not eligible" error then the shsh's are not on cydia, and yes saving them locally as well as on cydia is a good idea incase you need to restore and for whatever reason saurik's server is down you can then just point tue host file to your computer and restore
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-11 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

    0blivious (2010-07-11)

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    unfortunately that means you will not be able to restore to anything other than iOS 4, as far as an unlock, you have to be jailbroken to unlock unless you have a factory unlocked phone
    And what's the current situation about jailbreaking iOS 4.0 (on 3GS). I've read some blogs and forums, but I'm still pretty confused, because some posts are about jailbreaking iOS 4.0 beta, some are about iOS 4.0 on 3GS with old bootrom (don't know if I have old or new bootrom), some use tools only executable on MAC OS, etc.

    Previous owner states, that my iPhone is only few weeks/months old (so I would assume, it has new bootrom - but that's just my assumption).

    Thank you.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sealik View Post
    And what's the current situation about jailbreaking iOS 4.0 (on 3GS). I've read some blogs and forums, but I'm still pretty confused, because some posts are about jailbreaking iOS 4.0 beta, some are about iOS 4.0 on 3GS with old bootrom (don't know if I have old or new bootrom), some use tools only executable on MAC OS, etc.

    Previous owner states, that my iPhone is only few weeks/months old (so I would assume, it has new bootrom - but that's just my assumption).

    Thank you.
    We are currently expecting the new Spirit jailbreak in the next few weeks which will jailbreak every device at 4.0

    Shouldn't be long now

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •