Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't get Shift + Restore to load ipsw. Itunes 9.2

Default Can't get Shift + Restore to load ipsw. Itunes 9.2
    I'm sure I had this last time I tried to jb but I can't for the life of me remember how I got around it.

It just always wants to check and download 4.0 from apple, there's never a dialog box where I can select my ipsw file.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevvers View Post
    I'm sure I had this last time I tried to jb but I can't for the life of me remember how I got around it.

It just always wants to check and download 4.0 from apple, there's never a dialog box where I can select my ipsw file.
    iTunes 9.2 is no different from the others, if you are on Windows, use shift+restore, if you're on a mac, option+restore.

doublenach

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I used Shift/Restore in 9.2 to update to a jailbroken 4.0 yesterday.

I know, but it just doesn't work for me. I had the same problem with a previous version of iTunes, it's some kinda weird bug. Last time I got around it somehow, or it just decided to work, but for the longest time it wouldn't.

Just tried uninstalling itunes, doing a registry clean, then reinstalling. Still does the same thing. Just goes to Check and Restore and Update straight away. No option to choose a custom firmware.
    Last edited by Stevvers; 2010-07-10 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am in the same boat.

Thanks

Can you run iTunes as administrator? What about dropping your custom firmware into the iTunes update folder and then choosing Update?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Do a virus scan on your compuer. It shouldn't behave like this, it should open up a dialog box. Maybe you are blacklisted by Apple...just kidding

Thanks

This has happened before with iTunes. Around vs 8.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up shift+restore not working
    the trick is to "run as administrator". I had had the same problem. Vista and Win7 don't (by default) run applications as the administrator for security reasons and to keep your computer "safer". Not having that administrator control, your windows box will not let you load new firmware to your phone. Try it again after right clicking on your itunes and selecting "run as administrator" it should work like a charm for you after that. Aloha.

Thanks

Exactly. You should always be running on a limited user account to protect yourself.

I had a similar problem where I couldnt find the ipsw file on windows and when i dragged all the contents to the recycle bin i found it there...maybe that will work for you

I'm definitely running in Administrator, so that's not it - but thanks for the suggestions.

I tried installing iTunes 9.2 on another system I have at home, and the shift click worked fine on that one, so it seems to be some kind of bug. No clue what's causing it though.