Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod 3G - is downgrade from 4.0 possible without SHSH?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPod 3G - is downgrade from 4.0 possible without SHSH?
    Hey all. Been browsing here often, finally felt the need to join.

Well isn't this fun? Apple's latest F-U to the consumer, the "Once u leave u cant ever come back" 3194 error. Is it just impossible to downgrade without the SHSH files having been uploaded already? (Mine aren't to the best of my knowledge, new device). I keep banging my head into a wall here trying to downgrade from 4.0.

I bought a 32GB iPod Touch 3G used a few days ago, it was already jailbroken (3.1.3) to some extent (had Cydia on it) but it didn't seem to be working right. While screwing with it to try to redo the JB, I couldn't seem to get it out of recovery mode, so I stupidly let iTunes update it... to 4.0. (yeah... Oh ****!) No clue if my SHSH files ever got upped to Sauriks server prior to my having it, and it sounds like even that fix isnt the magic downgrade workaround anymore anyways.

I've tried:
    -redsn0w 0.9.4,
    -Spirit (worthless on 4.0),
    -blackra1n
    -using libusb and the command line entries (cant seem to get those entered right)
    -a multitude of firmwares downloaded from various sources

I read elsewhere in the forum a moment ago, that perhaps I should give blackra1n another shot during the 3194 error. Any word on the process to follow from there?

Last year I had some fun with the JB process on my iPhone. A month ago I used Spirit on my roommates iPhone and it was so easy I thought I screwed up. Downgrading has always been a pain, but this is a bit ridiculous for something you own.

I'm just about resigned to throw in the towel and wait for someone to crack 4.0 for my iPod Generation, seems its only a matter of time... right?

My iPhone 3G is sitting here next to it, on jailbroken 3.1.3, just mocking the sleeker, sexier, higher capacity iPod. lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone smokingkiils's Avatar
    Thanks

Nope, To my awareness there is no downgrade for 4.0 yet unless you have your SHSH's on cydia. But hold in a few days and im sure there will be a jailbreak coming soon for 4.0 without haven previously jailbroken on the device. comex has made the jailbreak and musclenerd is working on the unlock. should be out soon enough. hang in there. im waiting to jb my iPhone 4...

Keep Or Delete My Sig ? :/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smokingkiils For This Useful Post:

0blivious (2010-07-07)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smokingkiils View Post
    But hold in a few days and im sure there will be a jailbreak coming soon for 4.0
    That's what I'm thinking now too. This seems to be a complete lost cause. Wait for the crack. I like OS 4.0 anyways, and would prefer it over 3.x.x if the JB/unlock is a good one.

I messaged the kid who sold me the iPod a couple days ago (no reply) in hopes he'd pressed the "Make my life easier" button in Cydia. Cydia was installed with 3.1.3 when I got it, and I boned it like a complete noob. I guess thats my last shot.
    Last edited by 0blivious; 2010-07-07 at 09:02 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No worried, did the same thing, now I'm waiting too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0blivious View Post
    That's what I'm thinking now too. This seems to be a complete lost cause. Wait for the crack. I like OS 4.0 anyways, and would prefer it over 3.x.x if the JB/unlock is a good one.

I messaged the kid who sold me the iPod a couple days ago (no reply) in hopes he'd pressed the "Make my life easier" button in Cydia. Cydia was installed with 3.1.3 when I got it, and I boned it like a complete noob. I guess thats my last shot.
    you can use tinyumbrella to see if cydia has your shsh's without having to wait to hear back from whomever you bought it from

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

0blivious (2010-07-13)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    you can use tinyumbrella to see if cydia has your shsh's without having to wait to hear back from whomever you bought it from
    Thanks for the heads up. Did that a day or two ago after reading about it here on the forums. It confirmed that the previous owner had indeed NOT uploaded any SHSH files. I went ahead and upped my 4.0 blob to Cydia as well as my local machine. Hoping to avoid this scenario in the future...

Hi 0blivious,

I got exactly the same situation going on, with the same device. I also tried all possible ways to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1.3 / 3.1.2 No success..

However I was excited to hear that Comex from the Dev-team is most likely to be done with the new JB and is waiting for

Apple to release the 4.0.1
    Unfortunately Apple is waiting for the Dev-team to release their JB, so they can add that in their update!

Hereby I advice you to do the same thing as I did: backup your shsh blobs using
    TinyUmbrella (your 4.0 shsh) In case you "accidentally" upgrade to 4.0.1

Now lets just wait who will break the ice: Apple or the Dev-team ^.^

Senui

Edit: It appears to be Apple...
    Last edited by Senui; 2010-07-16 at 11:27 PM.

if your seller has given cydia the SHSH you can get it from there yourself,
    all you have to do is download tinyumbrealla
    and then choose the advanced button and choose the SHSH that you need.
    If by any chance he has already saved the SHSH on the website you can access it too.