Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade 3G from 4.0 to 3.1.3 for Windows 7 Users

Default Downgrade 3G from 4.0 to 3.1.3 for Windows 7 Users
    Hi I'm new to this forum and i figured i'd join to share my experience with downgrading an iPhone 3G from FW4.0 to 3.1.3 while running only Windows 7.

I should also add that with this process I used iTunes 9.2 with no hosts tricks whatsoever, SHSH blobs are indeed not required for iPhone 3G.

I'm going to assume a lot of you are probably using Windows XP to do this, this tip should apply to you and make your life simpler instead of installing libusb and such.

However I am intending this tip for users who only have access to a Windows 7 computer where support for libusb is terribly hard to figure out. So here is the procedure I took; now some of you might think I'm insane attempting this but I assure you, this has worked for me 5 times now on 3 different iPhone 3G's:

0. Put your iPhone into DFU mode, that is, hold both the Power/Hold button and the Home button for exactly 10 seconds, then let go of the Power/Hold button but keep holding Home for another 20 seconds, you'll hear a device connected sound on your pc and itunes will show your device in recovery mode, BUT nothing will display on the iPhone.

1. Download 3.1.3 firmware or find the copy stored in iTunes folders

2. Download geohot's Blackra1n jailbreak software (http://www.blackra1n.com) and put it in (CProgram Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\)

3. With the iPhone plugged in and iTunes open, Shift+Click on Restore and select the 3.1.3 firmware from step 1.

4. Once the process nearly completes you WILL get an error 1015 or 1016 in the restore process, this is normal and expected, just click OK and close iTunes.
    NOTE: The restore process will last the usual time it takes. (Around 10 mins)

5. You will now notice that your iPhone is in Recovery Mode (the Connect to iTunes logo image is displayed).

6. With the iPhone still plugged in, run Blackra1n and wait for it to complete, then you may close it. The iPhone will now reboot and kick itself out of recovery to the Emergency call screen.

7. Go on and install your favorite JB and Unlock solution and enjoy!

I know this seems off and risky, but from what I can see, since Blackra1n is not supported with 3.1.3, it gives jailbreaking a shot, fails, and simply reboots the iPhone out of recovery mode, causing the result we are looking for.

Mic
    Last edited by micfinn; 2010-07-08 at 12:28 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to micfinn For This Useful Post:

0blivious (2010-07-07)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just posted a moment ago about a similar (same) issue. I have win7 as well as XP, and I'm willing to try anything at this point to get OS 4.0 off of my new iPod 3G. It is more akin to an iPhone 3GS than a 3G, but it seems this error is universal.

Will try this and report back...

Latest version of blackra1n I presume?

(what a pain in the arse this has all been... lol)

*crosses fingers*

[EDIT]

Tried this on both win 7 (64 bit) and win XP Pro (32 bit).

Each time, upon the iPod kicking itself back out of recovery mode from blackrain, it still has that virus of an OS called 4.0.

Oh well, one more thing off the list of things to try.
    Last edited by 0blivious; 2010-07-07 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My apologies I forgot a crucial step in the process, DFU mode, stand by for the edit

Green Apple
    Thanks

Cool. Appreciate it.

I've pretty much resigned to waiting on the crackers. I do like OS 4.0, but I'm more than willing to keep trying to make this work the way I want.

[EDIT]

Tried starting the process from DFU mode as per step 0...

On steps 3 & 4, after shift clicking to use firmware 3.1.3, I get the 3194 error within 30 seconds. It unpacks file for a few seconds, tries to contact Apple for 10-20 seconds (dunno if my HOST file edit has ever worked right), then spits out the 3194 error. It remains in DFU mode after that, still not showing the connect to iTunes logo.

Nothing changes from that point if I run blackrain except it takes its time and reloads the phone, back into OS 4.0. I have not once gotten to the point where I get the 1015 error like I'm looking for. That error means the new firmware is indeed installed, just needs JBing/etc to restart phone/ipod, right?

I presume the firmware was supposed to have installed at this point, I should have seen a loading bar with an apple logo. You always see that during any firmware install, correct? Or can it be done with jailbreaking software while the phone is in DFU/Recovery mode without seeing that loading bar ever?

Seems like any firmware install should take some time, though this thing is faster than my iPhone 3G so perhaps I'm just not used to the difference if any. I'm a bit of a noob with these smart devices, but learning more with each roadblock.

I'll switch back to XP and/or my laptop and try this from there. Who knows...

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by 0blivious; 2010-07-07 at 11:41 PM.

question do you need shsh data stored? my brother upgraded his to 4.0 and it's been sickly SLOW ever since (15 seconds to open txt message)

Thanks

No a 3G does not require shsh files. That is only for 3gs's.

@0blivious

I was looking up your 3194 error in iTunes and most google results that come up mention 3GS, are you sure your phone is 3G, could you please confirm this by visiting Identifying iPhone models and carefully read how you can differentiate between the two. Thanks

I should also add that with this process I used iTunes 9.2 with no hosts tricks whatsoever, SHSH blobs are indeed not required for iPhone 3G.
    Last edited by micfinn; 2010-07-08 at 12:26 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sorry if I wasn't clear. As I mentioned in the 1st line of my 1st post, the device I'm having trouble with is an iPOD 3G (same as an iPHONE 3GS internally). So if this is a no go for 3GS iPhones, then I presume I'm in the same boat (screwed) with my 3G iPod. The 3194 error is the same so I'm trying any and everything I can find to fix it.

Thankfully I haven't monkeyed with my iPhone (3G) and it's still on JB 3.1.3

Currently, on XP, blackra1n has been sitting doing something different with my iPod then I've seen (usually got done real quick), been that way for 40 min. I'm gonna let it be and hope something good happens. lol

Sounds like I'll just have to wait.

On a side note, I think on my way home with the new iPod, I backed it up on my laptop (when it was still empty on 3.1.3). If that backup still exists, is it possible to revert back to 3.1.3 forcing it to use that backup? I presume not or I would have read about that as a possible fix for some. I assume just whats on the iPod, not the OS gets deleted/restored with any backup, correct?
    Last edited by 0blivious; 2010-07-08 at 01:11 AM.

Not to jack this thread... how cab i downgrade a 3g back to 3.1.3 with no shsh blobs?

@destro23

This guide I posted is exactly what you're looking for, I hope it works out for you

@micfinn

Im using windows 7 64 bit. will this work?

Hey guys,

I have an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0. I am running Windows XP and iTunes 9.2. I have followed the steps above and when I get to step 3 I get the following message, "The iPhone could not be updated because the firmware file is not compatible." I am using the following iOS file 'iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw'

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BB