Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Spirit type jailbreak

Default Spirit type jailbreak
    Just wondering but what is the downside to the spirit jailbreak? I remember seeing that "fake" installer on cydia that patched something with the spirit jailbreak. I know that this type can be easily patched but would you need to have something like that "fake" installer to patch it so you can go to the more perm jailbreak?

Sorry for sounding like a newbie but I haven't used anything other than quickpwn and blackra1n

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

There is nothing wrong with spirit it is simply that the JB is based entirely on a software exploit, so is easily patched. A simple update will do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

stlcaddie (2010-07-06)

Spirit uses a completely different technique to jailbreak the phone, known as a userland exploit. This means the jailbreak takes place using a major security hole in the iOS software that affects all users, not just jailbreakers. This also means that Apple will need to close this hole ASAP.

All other techniques such as redsn0w and blackra1n employ a very low-level exploit in the boot sequence of the phone, before the OS is even loaded. This is what is known as being truly "pwned".

The downside of using a jailbreak such as Spirit is that the phone is not pwned and therefore not able to accept custom firmwares generated by programs such as PwnageTool. Many 3GS users right now are finding themselves in this situation and are unable to upgrade to 4.0 because they used Spirit.

There is an app floating around out there called spirit2pwn that supposedly converts your Spirit jailbreak to a pwned type jailbreak.. HOWEVER this is a completely unofficial solution and uses proprietary Apple code and NOT RECOMMENDED.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ct0wn For This Useful Post:

babyblue_pimp (2010-07-06)

So would anyone work on an (un)official patch? Just wondering since it looks like the new jb will be the spirit type. Wouldn't want to use something like that and not be able to upgrade and stay jailbroken like the case with the 3GS users.

Jailbreak and save shsh blobs on cydia that way when a real pwned jailbreak comes out restore back to the firmware u had installed and use pwned to jb it.