Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with solution to Jailbreak iPhones still on 3.0 firmware's

Default Help with solution to Jailbreak iPhones still on 3.0 firmware's
    Yes, my iPhone is still on 3.0.1 and my Baseband is 04.26.08. Im sure there are plenty of iPhone's in my situation. Is there a way to Jailbreak now that the only Firmware available is 4.0? Really dont want to do this as it would update my baseband. Ive tried using Blackra1n and PwanageTool with nothing to show. It seems like this should be possible but im missing something. Can anyone elaborate and make this solution available to all?

Quote Originally Posted by xtremewaianae View Post
    Yes, my iPhone is still on 3.0.1 and my Baseband is 04.26.08. Im sure there are plenty of iPhone's in my situation. Is there a way to Jailbreak now that the only Firmware available is 4.0? Really dont want to do this as it would update my baseband. Ive tried using Blackra1n and PwanageTool with nothing to show. It seems like this should be possible but im missing something. Can anyone elaborate and make this solution available to all?
    In order to get to the 4.0 JailBroken, the point of departure must be a 3.1.2/3.1.3 Jailbroken device, and then, you'll be able to use PwnageTools Or Sn0wBreeze to make a Custom Firmware and Restore to it later.
    And in order to get to the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, you should make sure you have a compatible SHSH Blobs for them, to check this out, use TinyUmbrella.

Good luck,
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

thx for reply drmias. Well i dont have blob saved for 3.1.2 only for 4.0. Im in the game late. Im just thinking that the phones were JB'able at 3.0.1 on 04.26.08BB so couldn't i JB at 3.0.1 and then upgrade to 4.0? iTunes gives me a 16xx message when i try to upgrade to a Pwned 4.0 ipsw. assuming that is because im still running original firmware un-pwned. I get the difficulty of dropping your baseband once your upgraded, but im not, so the only thing holding me back looks like itunes and the blob. but they are signing 4.0, im trying to go 4.0, so what is the holdup? what do i need to JB?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't believe u can go straight from 3.0.1 to 4.0. Even if you do Pwn your current 3.0.1. You could try, steps:

1. Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 with redsn0w | Redmond Pie
    2. Upgrade to a cooked PwnageTool 4.01 iOS4.0 firmware.

My worry with this would be that during the restore you phone will be put into recovery mode and if the restore does not work you could find yourself in recovery mode (which can be tricky to get out of) with no way to re-install 3.0.1 and being forced to go to stock iOS4. I would suggest you JB 3.0.1 with redsn0w and work with that until a new JB is released for iOS4 stock.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Going from 3.0.1 to 4.0 will be just fine.

As Will01 said, you'll need to use redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak 3.0.1 and then use a custom firmware to go to 4.0. When using the CFW, don't put the phone in any kind of mode (recovery/DFU), just have it fully booted and sitting on the springboard (homescreen).
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Yup, 3.0 j/b str8 to 4.0 is fine

I'm in a similar boat. I'm running 3GS with 3.0, jailbroken with purplra1n, model MC137LL, modem firmware 04.26.08. Can i use sn0wbreeze directly from here to get to 4.0 jailbreak? Kind of a newb still, so any details to get there would be appreciated

Yup, just use a custom firmware of 4.0 and your good to go