Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking/Unlocking for Resale Question

Default Jailbreaking/Unlocking for Resale Question
    Hi guys, I had a question that I am not sure about. I recently got a Iphone 4g and I am looking to do one of two things. One possibility is to resell my iphone 3gs (ebay or craigslist). If I were to do this I would want to unlock it because they sell for more. I am running a 3GS on 3.1.3. with 5.12.01 baseband. Now, I do this I would first want to delete my data. Could I restore my setting (either through a DFU/erase settings) to remove all information and then re-jailbreak and unlock? Can this be done right now or would I need to wait for an unlock to come out?

Second option, I might just want to sell my iphone 4. I am looking for a job right now so I might be able to get more money for it plus I do like my 3gs. Could I jailbreak and unlock the iphone 4?

Again, all help it appreciated. Sorry my message was so long. Happy 4th/5th to all in the U.S.

Well, the iphone 3G[S] can be JailBroken and unlocked easily using Spirit from Spirit and then unlock using UltraSn0w (from Cydia).
    Regarding the iPhone 4, there is no JailBreak neither unlock released yet (hope will be soon).
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drmias For This Useful Post:

awoooga (2010-07-05)

Thanks

.. and there is no such thing as a iPhone 4G

Quote Originally Posted by drmias View Post
    Well, the iphone 3G[S] can be JailBroken and unlocked easily using Spirit from Spirit and then unlock using UltraSn0w (from Cydia).
    Regarding the iPhone 4, there is no JailBreak neither unlock released yet (hope will be soon).

So I can upgrade my 3GS to OS 4.0 and still rejailbreak and unlock? I want to remove my info on it if i resell.

NO, if you want to upgrade to 4.0 then
    you can use PwnageTools or Sn0wBreeze
    and you must be already JailBroken (If you used Spirit Then you can only use Sn0wBreeze)
    And must be with OLD BOOTROM
    Then make a custom Firmware using one of the above softwares, and then restore to it, the JailBreak process cannot be done on official 4.0 on 3G[s].

Hit the Thanks! Button if I Helped.

My question is if I click on restore iphone to factory setting will it make me upgrade to 4.0 or will I stay on 3.1.3.?

I jailbroke with Spirit on 3.1.3

It'll reset the data on the phone such as the camera roll, SMS, contacts, etc..
    And you'll still be on 3.1.3 jailbroken.

---- This is regarding using: Settings\General\Reset .. and not the Restore button in iTunes!
    Last edited by drmias; 2010-07-05 at 11:19 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to drmias For This Useful Post:

awoooga (2010-07-05)

Ok thats alright. I guess I'll keep the iphone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awoooga View Post
    My question is if I click on restore iphone to factory setting will it make me upgrade to 4.0 or will I stay on 3.1.3.?

I jailbroke with Spirit on 3.1.3
    I have pressed that "Erase all Data" button 5 different times on 5 different phones and everytime it has hung my phone up and I had to restore....
    Last edited by Simtech; 2010-07-05 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    I have pressed that "Erase all Data" button 5 different times on 5 different phones and everytime it has hung my phone up and I had to restore....
    I have had also bad experiment with it on several phones but, also used it 3 times when was jailbroken with Spirit and done well.
    But also, I would always prefer to do it manually!
    Anyway, it should work fine.

This is stressing me out. Could I just sell my iphone 4 without jailbreaking or unlocking it? I am okay with paying for two years of service and using my 3gs. Would that be better?

Quote Originally Posted by awoooga View Post
    This is stressing me out. Could I just sell my iphone 4 without jailbreaking or unlocking it? I am okay with paying for two years of service and using my 3gs. Would that be better?
    If you like your new iphone 4, then you can manually erase the data on the 3G[S].
    if you have Cydia then you can install **Erase Contact** - (to erase all the contacts list) and **SMS Clear** (to clear sms)
    also, pictures can be removed by the PC by exploring into the iphone folder in My Computer, Cut the directory and paste it anywhere you want.

** the names are not exact but I can check it out for you if you want.

I like that. I will look for them on my own and if I come up empty ill post. Thanks again for all your jhelp.