Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G (8GB), 3.1.3 JB W/Spirit - Best way to update & JB to 4.0?

Default iPhone 3G (8GB), 3.1.3 JB W/Spirit - Best way to update & JB to 4.0?
    Since I can't do much with my new iPhone 4 till something comes out, my girlfriend still has her 3G and I've been wanting to update it to 4.0 but not lose her JB. I previously used Spirit to JB... so what would be my best option here?

I just don't wanna mess her phone up like others I've heard about messing up since they used the Spirit JB. I don't mind doing a full restore, but I'm not sure exactly how I "back up" through Cydia or whatever.

So if someone can just break it down as far as backing up, which way to restore to 4.0, and how to JB (w/o having any of the phone's memory being blank and wasted)... please let me know!

Thanks!

BTW I also have an iPod Touch 2G (non MC version) running 3.1.3 that I did with Spirit too... right now I'm trying to restore to 4.0, then JB with redsn0w, if it works I can maybe hope that the same would work on my 3G Phone... or not?
    Last edited by Danny Kegstand; 2010-07-05 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

the easiest would be to update to official 4.0 and use redsn0w 0.9.5b to jailbreak

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Danny Kegstand (2010-07-05)

Well it seemed to work out with my iPod Touch 2G... I used redsn0w and it seemed to go over smoothly... I just didn't wanna have any wasted space on it or mess up b/c it's a "Spirit" JB... so doing the same steps with the iPhone will go okay? Do I need to set it up as new or can I restore from back-up before I JB?

Thanks for the advice!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Easiest way I have found to backup and install a new FW without losing stuff is:

1. Download AptBackup and Chronus from Cydia and do a backup with each of them
    2. Right Click on the phone in iTunes, do a Backup, Sync and Transfer Purchases, also copy your music from the iphone to a folder on your desktop
    3. Restore to stock iOS4
    4. When the restore is finished iTunes will give you the option to restore from backup, don't do this yet, close iTunes and JB with redsn0w.
    5. Install from cydia on the device, AptBackup & Chronus.
    6. Load up iTunes now and restore your backup.
    7. Go into AptBackup and hit restore (this can take a while)
    8. Copy across the music the previously put in the folder on the PC.
    9. You should now have your iPhone 3G with pretty much all the apps you had before. (Your appstore apps should have been restored during restore from backup)

Done it on both mine at the Mrs phone's recently and lost pretty much nothing (except my Cydia customer repo's which can be saved by SSH into the phone and saving the cydia.plist file or whatever it's called before jailbreak and copying it back after). Also, on my 3GS obviously I used PwnageTool and not redsn0w which does not support it :P

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

There's some sort of error on the Phone in Cydia... dealing with App Sync 3.1 or something... it says something about cannot being able to overwrite... I tried to uninstall it but it's not working, any way to get around this???

She doesn't really care about the Cydia stuff we can redownload most of that... it's just the #'s... and since I'm having problems with Cydia, I'm just going to restore, JB, then restore the backup in iTunes to get the numbers and start fresh with it.
    Last edited by Danny Kegstand; 2010-07-05 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The main reason for using Chronus is to save the apps file, i.e. keep their savegames.

In re of AppSync, that's not supported here so we can't help you with it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

I appreciate all the help... I realized that I had AppSync installed + a newer version of ********** (which comes with AppSync) so that was the problem, but I just restored to 4.0, JB, then did an iTunes back up and it's working fine now.

Thanks again for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    Easiest way I have found to backup and install a new FW without losing stuff is:

1. Download AptBackup and Chronus from Cydia and do a backup with each of them
    2. Right Click on the phone in iTunes, do a Backup, Sync and Transfer Purchases, also copy your music from the iphone to a folder on your desktop
    3. Restore to stock iOS4
    4. When the restore is finished iTunes will give you the option to restore from backup, don't do this yet, close iTunes and JB with redsn0w.
    5. Install from cydia on the device, AptBackup & Chronus.
    6. Load up iTunes now and restore your backup.
    7. Go into AptBackup and hit restore (this can take a while)
    8. Copy across the music the previously put in the folder on the PC.
    9. You should now have your iPhone 3G with pretty much all the apps you had before. (Your appstore apps should have been restored during restore from backup)

Done it on both mine at the Mrs phone's recently and lost pretty much nothing (except my Cydia customer repo's which can be saved by SSH into the phone and saving the cydia.plist file or whatever it's called before jailbreak and copying it back after). Also, on my 3GS obviously I used PwnageTool and not redsn0w which does not support it :P
    Hi, could you please clarify a couple of your points?

3. By "restore to stock iOS4" do you mean hit the Update button in itunes to update to iOS4? See I am currently on 3.1.3 spirit-jailbroken (3GS old bootrom) and still confused, lol

4. By "JB with redsnow" (in my case with PwnageTool- I suppose I am lost at this step since I only have a windows pc?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    Hi, could you please clarify a couple of your points?

3. By "restore to stock iOS4" do you mean hit the Update button in itunes to update to iOS4? See I am currently on 3.1.3 spirit-jailbroken (3GS old bootrom) and still confused, lol

4. By "JB with redsnow" (in my case with PwnageTool- I suppose I am lost at this step since I only have a windows pc?

Thanks!
    First: THE ABOVE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH IPHONE 3GS!!!
    If you're on 3G though,

3. Yes, use the update Button, but you should first backup your iPhone (In case you have important data)

4. Redsn0w is a compatible software with windows and Mac, then you can use it, and it's different than pwnagetools and it's the easiest method to JB iPhone 4G.

hope this help.
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!