Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS with jailbroken iOS4

Default 3GS with jailbroken iOS4
    I had my iPhone 3GS jailbroken iOS4 and decided to use the erase feature to get it ready to sell. After doing this my iPhone will not start up. It just hangs on the boot screen. I tried to restore using the custom iOS4 ipswbut I got a 1600 error. It now seems that I am stuck. I don't want to restore to the current iOS4 as I don't think I will be able to unlock my iPhone after I do that. Is there a way to restore using the apple firmware without upgrading the BOOTROM? or does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for the help

Thanks

if you have your 3.1.2 shsh's then you can restore to that and rejailbreak then restore the custom 4.0

I am not sure what shsh's are or if I have them. Can you fill me in?

Thanks

when you were jailbroken did you hit the "make my life easier" button in cydia, if so at the top of the cydia home screen it would have said "this device has shsh's on file for iPhone OS" and then it would say 3.x.x right under that

That sounds like something I would have done but it's been so long I am not sure. and now that my phone won't boot I can't get into cydia to check. Is there some other way of checking and even if I did what's the process. to I just try and restore to a custom 3.1.2 firmware?

Thanks

you will need the ecid number for the phone and use tinyumbrella to check and see if cydia has them, if it does then you can use this guide to restore http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ecid-shsh.html or http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...-tutorial.html

great thanks for the help. I was able to use the first guide and get my iPhone back to running an un-jailboraken version of 3.1.2. However now when i try to upgrade to a jailboraken iOS 4 the phone just hangs in recovery mode and I now get an 1604 error. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

Jailbreak it with blackra1n then use a custom firmware to upgrade to 4.0. An unjailbroken phone won't accept a custom firmware.

Thanks

^^^^^^
    what he said

Thanks for all the help guys I ended up using readsn0w to jailbreak the 3.1.2 firmware and then upgrading to the custom 4.0 firmware.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks

glad it worked for you

Same thing happened to a friend of mine when he tried to reset. I don't know if it worked in previous JB iphones but it doesn't doesn't seem to work in iOS4 jb. He got the same spinning wheel of death and had to downgrade to 3.1.2 and restore back to a custom 4.0 ipsw

iReb doesn't support 3GS and that sucks. Both times ive been upgrading to iOS4 I get 1600 errors so I wanted to provide this solution. this has worked for me twice now and took me hella long to find it the second time, upgrading my 3GS to iOS4 and beating the 1600/1604 errors. It involves removing iTunes but it will keep all of you song and playlist data. Good Luck!

Unable To Restore iPhone – What Can You Do If You Are Unable To Restore iPhone