Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS with old Bootrom, cannot jailbreak in OS4

Question 3GS with old Bootrom, cannot jailbreak in OS4
    Hi guys, sorry I know these thread are really repetitive, but I still can't seem to solve my problem after days, so I'll get right to the point:

I have a 3GS with old bootrom that was previously jailbreaked with blackra1n on 3.1.2. I foolishly updated to OS 4 through iTunes, and now I can't seem to jailbreak it.

I've tried restoring with various custom 4.0 and even 3.1.2 IPSW's, but get the 1604 error in Recovery mode, or 1601 error in DFU mode. Also tried from idle mode, and tried on Win7 and WinXP.

I've tried redsn0w but get the "Unable to recognize specified IPSW" error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Use an older version of iTunes (9.0 or 9.1) after a COMPLETE Remove of the one you currently have.

Press Thanks! If I helped.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drmias For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Thanks

You need to go back to a stock 3.1.2, jailbreak it with blackra1n, then install a custom 4.0. An unjailbroken will NOT accept a custom firmware.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

jkmonkey is correct. They did not develop a new exploit for iOS4 so you have to be jailbroken on 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 recommended with redsn0w or pwnage (or sn0wbreeze for windows)... THEN restore to 4.0 custom firmware.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    jkmonkey is correct. They did not develop a new exploit for iOS4 so you have to be jailbroken on 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 recommended with redsn0w or pwnage (or sn0wbreeze for windows)... THEN restore to 4.0 custom firmware.
    His issue is that he gets 1600\1\4 errors while trying to restore.
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to drmias For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Possible issues with SHSH blobs or your iTunes host file then.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drmias View Post
    His issue is that he gets 1600\1\4 errors while trying to restore.
    Right, he's getting 160x errors because he's trying to restore to a custom firmware on a nonjailbroken phone. The phone needs to be jailbroken in order to load a custom fw.

P.s. Way off topic, but Poseidon I love the new mobile format for the site. I have no idea who to actually than for it. Lol
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-07-04 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Right, he's getting 160x errors because he's trying to restore to a custom firmware on a nonjailbroken phone. The phone needs to be jailbroken in order to load a custom fw.

P.s. Way off topic, but Poseidon I love the new mobile format for the site. I have no idea who to actually than for it. Lol
    Well, I thought he only tries custom 4's but stock 3.1.2! Then you're right! he should restore to a stock 3.1.2/3 first and only then JB.
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to drmias For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

I am in the same issue but I do not get an error, I just hang at the very end of the restore to the custom iOS4.0. It gets to the very end. Should I try to restore using 9.1 iTunes? Also when restoring to custom iOS4.0 firmware, does iTunes have to be pointed to Apple or to saurick's server?

i have a 3Gs, old bootrom, jailbroken on 3.1.2 but modem on 5.12.01 (I went to 3.1.3 but back down)
    Last edited by mrrippey; 2010-07-04 at 10:20 PM.
    Rippey
    iOS 4.0 3Gs 32GB on the lamb
    Still has nice things on it, pictures too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrrippey View Post
    I am in the same issue but I do not get an error, I just hang at the very end of the restore to the custom iOS4.0. It gets to the very end. Should I try to restore using 9.1 iTunes? Also when restoring to custom iOS4.0 firmware, does iTunes have to be pointed to Apple or to saurick's server?

i have a 3Gs, old bootrom, jailbroken on 3.1.2 but modem on 5.12.01 (I went to 3.1.3 but back down)
    How is your phone jailbroken right now? Blackra1n? Spirit? To upgrade to 4 iTunes should be at 9.2 and you can leave it directed to apples servers. Loading custom firmwares bypasses the firmware validation. If your still getting problems try creating a new custom fw, it may just be a problem with the one your trying to install. If you have a Mac use pwnage tool to create one, if not download one created by pwnage.

I seem to have the same problem anytime I try to use a fw made with sn0wbreeze.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-07-04 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Noob to the fullest
    just bought a used 3GS 32 GB. I want to unlock this phone for Tmo and i want to JB.
    Im using a pc
    Version 4.0
    Model MB718LL
    fourth & fifth digit in serial 2 & 5
    modem FW 05.13.04

I used f0recast to check my bootrom and it has the following
    Baseband 05.13.04
    bootloader 6.4
    model MB718

JailBreakable BLANK
    Unlockable NO
    Tethered NO

Id like to get pointed in the right direction if possible.

Thanks

amc you will not be able to jailbreak or unlock that phone unless it has shsh fileS stored for it. You can use firmware umbrella to check to see if they are saved on cydias server. If not your stuck until a new jailbreak is released for 4.0

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

_amc_ (2010-07-05)

Hi guys, I fixed it! Thank you all.

It turns out I had to re-edit my iTunes Host file. Then I was able to shift+restore to the official 3.1.2 by following bondkt's Ultimate Downgrade Tutorial (thanks!). Then I jailbreaked with blackra1n, then I shift+restored to my custom 4.0 ipsw. Then I unlocked with ultrasn0w through Cydia.

And now I'm on a jailbreaked and unlocked 3GS with 4.0! Still need to test some things out, but everything looks good as of now, I'll report back if something pops up.

Just one last thing, anyone know of a basic application renamer? I was using "Rename II" previously, but it looks like that only works with 3.x.x. Thanks!

Thanks for your help. I will check and see if theyre available. If theyre not there then id have to wait huh? I just got this phone the other day and been dying to use it..i guess ill have to wait.

Thanks

Kripter-Glad everything worked for you not sure on the renamer

amc- you never know, you might get lucky. If the previous owner had it jailbroken the may be saved. It's at least worth checking.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-07-05 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

kripter (2010-07-05), _amc_ (2010-07-09)

Thanks

I'm jailbroken using blackra1n and ultrasn0w unlocked. I'll try to do it on 9.2 restore tonight and point my iTunes to apple. I'll use sinful ipsw and see if it works. At worst case, I have to rerestore to 3.1.2 and then unlock. I'll let you know.

Rippey

Thanks

Looks like there is something wrong with my iPhone since I cannot for the life of me get it to take a custom iOS4.0 image.

3Gs, old bootrom, 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n, unlocked with ultrasn0W, modem 5.12 and every image I have used and created hangs at the very end. No idea what to try next......
    Rippey

Thanks

Just make sure you choose the activated one if your on an unofficial carrier.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-07-09 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Heres a link to the one I used: Download Custom iOS 4 Firmware for iPhone 3GS 3G [IPSW] | CrispyTech
    Just make sure you choose the activated one if your on an unofficial carrier.
    Thanks for the link but I think that is not allowed here so dont get yourself in trouble. I finally got iOS4 installed but I had to do in in Windows7 via Parallels and snowbreeze. Looks like it took well.

Rippey
    Rippey

So I was lucky enough to fine a phone dealer that made me a straight swap for an unlocked 3gs.
    Now I'm running:
    MB

how can I run 4.0 or will that unjailbreak my phone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast