Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Alright, I think I finally, truly broke it.

Default Alright, I think I finally, truly broke it.
    I have fixed the problem! See the bottom of the post.

Background: I decided to jailbreak my iPhone 3g 3.1.3 using Spirit. Went down okay, everything was peachy--but I have a habit of fixing things that aren't broken. So, I decided I wanted to try iOS 4.0.

What I did wrong: I got on my iPhone, went to Settings->General->Reset->Clear all settings and media.

Well, while this slow bar was filling up during the deletion process, I opened sn0wbreeze and started to create my custom firmware. Stupidly, of course--because it was modifying files on the iPhone while others were being wiped. Naturally, something was corrupted in the process.

How it behaves now:
    If I try to turn the device on, it's stuck at the boot logo and NEVER goes anywhere (I tried leaving it like this for two days straight). Every ~15 minutes or so it will turn itself off, then back on and continue sitting at the boot logo. My computer does not recognize it.

If I put it in recovery mode, and try to install ANY firmware (3.1.3, official and modded, 4.0, official and modded, 3.1.2, official and modded, etc.) iTunes sits there at "Preparing iPod..." for about 10 minutes then gives me error code 1604.

If I put it in DFU mode, the computer recognizes it but iTunes says it isn't recognized (error code 1601). Then, I restart iTunes--it recognizes it now--and try to restore the firmware but it goes into white-screen mode.

If I put it in white-screen DFU mode, Any sort of restoration attempt gives error code 1601.

What I have tried

• Apple's useless official advice at their website
    • redsn0w 4.0 jailbreak (0.9.5b5), with custom boot logo from DFU mode
      --The jailbreak seemed to have gone fine, and the screen on my iPhone actually showed the "downloading jailbreak data" screen until it finished. Afterward, it went back to the enternal boot logo.
    • Accessing the iPhone directly with iPhone Folders (iPhonelist doesn't launch on my system). It doesn't see my iPhone, in any state (DFU, regular, recovery).
    • SSHing all the files off...except OpenSSH isn't on the iPhone cause it was just wiped.
    • Using different USB ports for the recovery
    • Using iREB

I have fixed the problem!
    For anyone else in a similar, hopeless situation, here's what I did:

1) Use the DFU-then-restore glitch to white-screen it.
    2) Restart iTunes and attempt to restore the same firmware again, it fails.
    3) Repeat step 2.
    4) Restart iTunes one more time and attempt to restore the same firmware as before.

For some reason, on the fourth try, it decided to work. Perhaps I just got lucky. Anyway, thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Noransalad; 2010-07-04 at 04:22 AM.

Great post, this is how all questions should be asked!

Have you tried iReb?

iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

I would give that a shot and then attempt to install your custom 4.0 again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ct0wn For This Useful Post:

Noransalad (2010-07-04)

Quote Originally Posted by ct0wn View Post
    Great post, this is how all questions should be asked!

Have you tried iReb?

iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

I would give that a shot and then attempt to install your custom 4.0 again.
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply! Sadly, yeah, I have tried iREB but it doesn't even function as advertised for me. The only way I've managed to get the iPhone into the white screen mode is by going into DFU, then trying any restore in iTunes. It gives error 1601 and the iPhone goes white--but sadly no restoration works even then.

Have a thanks though!
    Last edited by Noransalad; 2010-07-04 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noransalad View Post
    [SIZE="4"]
    What I did wrong: I got on my iPhone, went to Settings->General->Reset->Clear all settings and media.

Well, while this slow bar was filling up during the deletion process, I opened sn0wbreeze and started to create my custom firmware. Stupidly, of course--because it was modifying files on the iPhone while others were being wiped. Naturally, something was corrupted in the process.
    not sure what happened but it was not something sn0wbreeze did, it doesn't modify any files on the phone until of course it is through building the ipsw and you try to install it, it uses an ipsw file on your computer to do all the firmware creation, nothing from your phone itself

have you tried doing it from a different computer?
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-04 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Noransalad (2010-07-04)

first, put your iPhone in recovery mode (hooked up to the PC) then DO NOT click restore yet, go to your Computer folder, Your hard drive, Windows,System32,Drivers,etc, then open up the hosts file with notepad. at the bottom of the page you add this line: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com then save it. install an OFFICIAL firmware then it will take a very long time to prepare the ipod since its using a hacked apple server but eventually it will work, then jailbreak and you are done!

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    not sure what happened but it was not something sn0wbreeze did, it doesn't modify any files on the phone until of course it is through building the ipsw and you try to install it, it uses an ipsw file on your computer to do all the firmware creation, nothing from your phone itself

have you tried doing it from a different computer?
    Haha, turns out it was actually Spirit, which I had used to jailbreak 3.1.3 and caused some weird conflict with sn0wbreeze. I hate Spirit. Never gonna use it again.

Anyway, I fixed it by white-screening the device and using iTunes FOUR TIMES in succession to try to restore to 3.1.3. It worked the 4th.

Thanks for the replies, everyone--I'll send "thanks" button things to you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techboywii View Post
    first, put your iPhone in recovery mode (hooked up to the PC) then DO NOT click restore yet, go to your Computer folder, Your hard drive, Windows,System32,Drivers,etc, then open up the hosts file with notepad. at the bottom of the page you add this line: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com then save it. install an OFFICIAL firmware then it will take a very long time to prepare the ipod since its using a hacked apple server but eventually it will work, then jailbreak and you are done!
    no need to edit the host file that is only for the 3gs not the 3g (the 3g doesn't require firmware signing)

Quote Originally Posted by Noransalad View Post
    Haha, turns out it was actually Spirit, which I had used to jailbreak 3.1.3 and caused some weird conflict with sn0wbreeze. I hate Spirit. Never gonna use it again.

Anyway, I fixed it by white-screening the device and using iTunes FOUR TIMES in succession to try to restore to 3.1.3. It worked the 4th.

Thanks for the replies, everyone--I'll send "thanks" button things to you.
    glad everything worked out for you