Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What went wrong?

Default What went wrong?
    I was able to get the blobs from 3.1.2, and I downgraded from 4.0 to 3.1.2. It went through the whole restore process, and now it is in the recovery loop again. I obviously have the blobs saved, but why won't it get off the recovery loop? What went wrong? I was able to get the blobs from 3.1.2, and I downgraded from 4.0 to 3.1.2. It went through the whole restore process, and now it is in the recovery loop again. I obviously have the blobs saved, but why won't it get off the recovery loop? Now I'm stuck again at 3.1.2. What went wrong?

Thanks

if you did an offcial update to 4.0 then it updated your baseband, by going back to 3.1.2 your baseband stays at the new 4.0 baseband and that is why you are I recovery mode, if you are on a pc you can use quickpwn to get out of the recovery mode

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    if you did an offcial update to 4.0 then it updated your baseband, by going back to 3.1.2 your baseband stays at the new 4.0 baseband and that is why you are I recovery mode, if you are on a pc you can use quickpwn to get out of the recovery mode
    Yes, that's exactly what I did! Do you have a link for quickpwn? Will I be able to use 3.1.2 after I use quickpwn?

Thanks

here is a link for quickpwn http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QE43UVNA , also some instructions for using it correctly to get out of recovery (thanks go to modmyi user bondkt for the instructions)

Close iTunes but Leave the iphone plugged in with connect to itunes screen showing.

2. Download this old quickpwn from EITHER website:

Medifire OR MegaUpload

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH SITE YOU CHOOSE, THEY BOTH HAVE THE QUICKPWN NEEDED.

(Thanks bigtony423 for the idea to add an extra link)

3. Extract Quickpwn (free extractor) BUT DO NOT RUN IT. This is where it can get a bit tricky, so pay attention.

Navigate to:

32-bit windows: C: \Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

64-bit windows: C: \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

You should no see a whole lot of files and folders...good! Now right click and create a new folder called 'bin' (yes no caps, just bin). Drag everything you see in the \Mobile Device Support folder into the bin folder. You should now only have a 'bin' folder in \Mobile Device Support folder. Good! This was done so quickpwn can work with the latest iTunes versions (9+).

4. Run quickpwn. After opening quickpwn, you get a box on your computer screen saying something like 'your phone needs to be powered on, please hold the home button and sleep\wake button for 15 seconds'. Just do what the box says says- EXACTLY. When you see the apple logo on your phone, close quickpwn.*

*****CLOSE QUICKPWN, IT IS NOT USED TO JAILBREAK.*****

5. Your phone should now boot normally.

6. This step is extremely important if you don't want to re-install iTunes! Remember that bin folder we made? yeah... iTunes wont work right until you undo what we did. So cut everything in the 'bin' folder you put in earlier, place everything back into the \Mobile Device Support folder (where the bin folder is). After everything is back, DELETE the empty bin folder**. Itunes is not happy until the 'bin' gone too! You should now have everything back in the \Mobile Device Support folder and there should be NO bin folder.

** You may need to open task manager [ctrl + alt + del] and end some/all Apple Processes to be able to delete the 'bin' folder. If you do end these processes, restart your computer after deleting the bin folder in order restart them (so your iphone will be able to sync with iTunes etc).
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-04 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    here is a link for quickpwn MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service , also some instructions for using it correctly to get out of recovery (thanks go to modmyi user bondkt for the instructions)

Close iTunes but Leave the iphone plugged in with connect to itunes screen showing.

2. Download this old quickpwn from EITHER website:

Medifire OR MegaUpload

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH SITE YOU CHOOSE, THEY BOTH HAVE THE QUICKPWN NEEDED.

(Thanks bigtony423 for the idea to add an extra link)

3. Extract Quickpwn (free extractor) BUT DO NOT RUN IT. This is where it can get a bit tricky, so pay attention.

Navigate to:

32-bit windows: C: Program FilesCommon FilesAppleMobile Device Support

64-bit windows: C: Program Files (x86)Common FilesAppleMobile Device Support

You should no see a whole lot of files and folders...good! Now right click and create a new folder called 'bin' (yes no caps, just bin). Drag everything you see in the Mobile Device Support folder into the bin folder. You should now only have a 'bin' folder in Mobile Device Support folder. Good! This was done so quickpwn can work with the latest iTunes versions (9+).

4. Run quickpwn. After opening quickpwn, you get a box on your computer screen saying something like 'your phone needs to be powered on, please hold the home button and sleepwake button for 15 seconds'. Just do what the box says says- EXACTLY. When you see the apple logo on your phone, close quickpwn.*

*****CLOSE QUICKPWN, IT IS NOT USED TO JAILBREAK.*****

5. Your phone should now boot normally.

6. This step is extremely important if you don't want to re-install iTunes! Remember that bin folder we made? yeah... iTunes wont work right until you undo what we did. So cut everything in the 'bin' folder you put in earlier, place everything back into the Mobile Device Support folder (where the bin folder is). After everything is back, DELETE the empty bin folder**. Itunes is not happy until the 'bin' gone too! You should now have everything back in the Mobile Device Support folder and there should be NO bin folder.

** You may need to open task manager [ctrl + alt + del] and end some/all Apple Processes to be able to delete the 'bin' folder. If you do end these processes, restart your computer after deleting the bin folder in order restart them (so your iphone will be able to sync with iTunes etc).
    It was going smoothly until I had to enter the firmware, which I did - iPod3,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw - it says "The correct IPSW will have a filename beginning with _3.1.2", and it does. Then it says "The IPSW file you selected does not match any firmware version QuickPwn supports. Either the IPSW file is corrupted, or the firmware version is unsupported". I don't know what that is supposed to mean, because when I downgraded to 3.1.2 I used this firmware without any trouble.

Thanks

i don't really know much about iPods but on the iPhone if quickpwn is giving you that error you are too far into it, you don't use it past the point where it tells you hold power and home button for 15 seconds and it opens to main screen, when your device comes back on it should have the connect to iTunes (USB +iTunes icons) and the slide for emergency call (on an iPhone, not sure about an iPod though) then open iTunes and let it activate it
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-04 at 05:55 PM.