Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3GS - MC Model

Post Iphone 3GS - MC Model
    Hi all,

Just got a new iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3, MC Model - Locked to O2 network.

Ideally I would like to be running IOS4 jailbroken however have read I'd need to jailbreak on 3.1.3 before upgrading.

Can anyone advise:

1) Is it possible to run a jailbroken IOS4 on my phone?
    2) If so, how?

Many Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply.

Bane17

** EDIT ** - Thanks to the two helpful posts below I have discovered I am running the OLD bootrom
    Last edited by Bane17; 2010-07-03 at 11:23 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You need to find out if you have the old or new bootrom. The model can't be used to determine which it is (the MC thing). If old bootrom (again, MC tells nothing about this) you can use a custom 4.0 firmware and restore to that (you need to be already jailbroken before restoring to it). If new bootrom, you can't get jailbroken iOS4.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

andhufazil (2010-07-09), Bane17 (2010-07-03)

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    You need to find out if you have the old or new bootrom. The model can't be used to determine which it is (the MC thing). If old bootrom (again, MC tells nothing about this) you can use a custom 4.0 firmware and restore to that (you need to be already jailbroken before restoring to it). If new bootrom, you can't get jailbroken iOS4.
    Many Thanks for the response. I have read the best way of telling if you are on old or new bootrom is by going in to DFU mode. Will this have any affect on the iPhone and is it easy enough to get it back to it's normal state?

Bane17

Thanks

no it will not effect the phone at all, use idetector from ih8sn0w to determine if you have the old or new bootrom, to get out of dfu just hold the sleep/wake button and the home button for 15 seconds to reset the phone and get out of dfu

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Bane17 (2010-07-03)

Right just checked and says I am running iBoot-359.3 (old bootrom right?).

If that's the case what's the best way of going to jailbroken IOS4?

Thanks

since the phone is new and not jailbroken you will need to use spirit to jailbreak and from there you can create a custom 4.0 with sn0wbreeze and use the spirit2pwn method to get to 4.0, the newest version of sn0wbreeze will walk you through all of the steps to accomplish this

Don't know if it is of any use but I've just downloaded f0recast from ih8snow and it came back with the following:

Baseband: 05.12.01
    Bootloader: 6.4
    Model: MC132

Jailbreakable: Only if SHSH is on file
    Unlockable: No
    Untethered: Depends if it's refurbished

** On a side note I'm also running from a MacBook however have access to Windows at Work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also was going to try the following link once I've downgraded my iTunes (will be tomorrow night now as too late now!)

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/716...spirit-jb.html

Thanks for all the help so far!
    Last edited by Bane17; 2010-07-04 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

since you are using a mac use pwnagetool to create a custom 4.0 and use the guide from the link in your last post, it will work

11. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Bane17 (2010-07-04)