Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice on upgrading jailbroken iphone 3gs to OS4?

Default Advice on upgrading jailbroken iphone 3gs to OS4?
    I have a jailbroken 3gs. I believe it's with blackra1n 3.1.2.

I am wanting to upgrade to the new OS4, just wanting to know my options or method to do it. I am still tossing up between upgrading it and keeping it jailbroken, or upgrading it to OS4 and back to virgin (not jailbroken). I just don't use too much of the features with it being jailbroken. But still, there are some things I may want to do later with it being jailbroken.

But just wondering if anyone can give me methods on to upgrade it to OS4 with it being jailbroken and upgrading back to a virgin iphone.

Thanks in advance.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

In your case, if:

Old bootrom 3GS = jailbreakable
    New bootrom 3GS = not jailbreakable

If:

Old bootrom = can jailbreak iOS 4 with Spirit or Redsn0w or PwnageTool (MAC) and among some other options, but these are the most common

What if I want to upgrade to OS4 cleanly, with no jail break and get rid of my current one (blackra1n 3.1.2)?

A guy at work has the old 3g. Don't know what jailbreak he had, but he said he just connected to itunes, and did the new upgrade on his iphone for OS4, and that was it, and it's just a clean OS4. But that doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz84 View Post
    What if I want to upgrade to OS4 cleanly, with no jail break and get rid of my current one (blackra1n 3.1.2)?

A guy at work has the old 3g. Don't know what jailbreak he had, but he said he just connected to itunes, and did the new upgrade on his iphone for OS4, and that was it, and it's just a clean OS4. But that doesn't sound right to me.
    that's all there is to it if you want official 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    In your case, if:

Old bootrom 3GS = jailbreakable
    New bootrom 3GS = not jailbreakable

If:

Old bootrom = can jailbreak iOS 4 with Spirit or Redsn0w or PwnageTool (MAC) and among some other options, but these are the most common
    i'm pretty sure that neither spirit nor redsn0w will jailbreak a 3GS on 4.0, snowbreeze or pwnagetool custom firmwares are the only way that i am aware of
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-03 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    that's all there is to it if you want official 4.0
    It's that simple? Will it do the backup automatically for me? Or if I just do it, would I lose contacts and data?

Thanks

since you are already jailbroken it is not recommended to restore from backups of jailbroken phones, just sync everything with itunes and once done with the restore set up as new and re-sync everything

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Im getting mixed responses on whether redsn0w or sn0wbreeze would work on iOS 4 for 3GS :/

I know that pwnagetool and spirit work tho. Bah.