Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bought JB 3GS w/ iOS4. How to load my backup from prev iPhone?

Red face Bought JB 3GS w/ iOS4. How to load my backup from prev iPhone?
    I'll try to be clear, and thanks to anyone who might have info

Situation:

My 3GS got dunked 3 months back. Backlight out.

Yesterday, a friend sold me his previously jailbroken and unlocked 32GB 3GS, old bootrom, w/ iOS 4.0 (8A293) installed. He tried to wipe all his info, and even went in and deleted stuff via the terminal.

Problem:

How do I put my backup from my old phone on the new phone without wiping the jailbreak *or* making it un-unlockable and unjailbreakable?

Do I have to downgrade, restore, jailbreak, then upgrade? The steps are a little scary, cause I don't want to bugger up the jb or unlock

Some of the posts I searched through almost apply to my situation, but I couldn't find an exact match.

I've jailbroken iPhones before (3G and 3GS on OS 2 and 3), but this is new territory for me.

Any insight?

Help MUCH appreciated!

Last edited by plastic_avatar; 2010-07-03 at 04:42 AM. Reason: [clarified]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Generally when going from one firmware version to another, it's a good idea to set it up as new phone to avoid problems.

If you're wanting to restore to a fresh jailbroken iOS4, that is possible by making a custom firmware with pwnagetool and then restoring to that. After that, you could use the backup from your previous phone, although I'd still advise you to set up as new.

Not sure if this reply was what you were looking for.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

the only reason I see to restore from a backup is to keep your SMS databases and call logs, both of which can easily be gotten by ssh'ing into the phone before hand and extracted , once jailbroken just ssh back in and replace, as dhamien said restoring from the backup of a jailbroken phone has been know to cause issues (not in every case but definitely not worth doing) and everything else can just be resynced